The best chew proof dog crate pad can easily withstand a lot of ‘canine-destruction in terms of chewing and digging’.
If you have a dog that has destroyed all its beds until now, then it is time you switch to indestructible dog beds.
Chew proof crate pad and indestructible dog beds are made using durable and sturdy materials that are impervious to sharp teeth and nails.
In this guide, we have 5 best chew proof dog crate pad reviews for you.
Many pet parents have vouched for these 5 great products that have put a stop to pet’s sharp teeth and nails.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best chew proof dog crate pad:
- K9 Ballistics Tough Dog Crate Pad
- Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed
- K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
- goDog Bed with Chew Guard Technology
- Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Crate Pad
Best Chew Proof Dog Crate Pad – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: K9 Ballistics Tough Dog Crate Pad - Washable, Durable and Waterproof XL Dog Crate Beds - X-Large Dog Crate Mat, 47"x28.5", Green
K9 Ballistics states on their dog crate pad: ‘This is a chew-resistant bed. It is made especially for diggers, and scratchers, and light to moderate chewers’.
So confident is the brand that their best chew proof dog crate pad can withstand ‘chewers’ that they even offer a 120-day store credit in case your pet damages the bed within 4 months of receiving it!
One of the main features of K9 Ballistic toughest dog crate pad is that there are no exposed zippers or seams which your pet can catch hold of and chew.
It also has a taut construction that prevents dogs from taking a bite out of it.
As many pet parents have experienced, this is indeed a rough and tough crate pad. It features a rip-stop ballistic cover that can easily survive sharp teeth and nails.
K9 Ballistics use recycled K9-certified polyfill material inside this pad that adds a comfortable cushioning layer of 1.5-inches. It is ideal for extra-large dog crates or for large to extra-large dog breeds.
What we like about it
- Made especially for diggers and chewers
- Rip-stop fabric prevents rips from spreading
- Taut construction with no exposed seams and zippers.
- Designed for placement in crates – can be secured to the crate using ties provided
- Water-resistant, washable in the machine
What we don’t like
- Material makes a loud noise when your pet turns in its sleep.
- TOUGH DOG BED FOR CRATE: For diggers, scratchers & dogs who are tough on their bed. (for heavy persistent chewers search for our - K9 Ballistic Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed)
- DURABLE RIPSTOP BALLISTIC COVER: Dig proof, scratch proof, and waterproof cover. Comfortable crate mat design that's machine washable, and easy to spot clean.
- COMFORTABLE: Filled with K9 Certified Clean Recycled Polyfill to a 1.5" thickness for comfort and stitched for optimal durability. This dog crate mat does not contain any zippers or Velcro.
- DESIGNED FOR CRATES: Designed to fit inside most standard size dog crates or this dog crate pad can be used on its own.
- CHEW PROOF PROMISE: If your dog damages their tough dog bed within 120 days after receiving it, we will issue you a one-time store credit that can be used to replace your damaged bed.
The Carhartt Brand is known for its high-quality jackets and overalls and they have used the same material in making these durable water-repellent dog beds.
Many pet parents vouch for this great durable dog crate bed chew resistant. Its tightly stretched canvas material makes it very difficult for chewers to catch hold of it and chew it.
Carhartt bed is designed to be resistant to diggers which makes it perfect for dogs with anxiety or nervousness issue.
It comes in various sizes: Medium size measures 27 (wide) x 35 (long) x 4.25 (thick) – all in inches. The larger one measures 33 (W) x 41 (L) x 4.25 (H) inches.
What we like about it
- Chew resistant and also great for diggers
- Easy to clean
- Water-repellent coating.
What we don’t like
- Zip is exposed – chewers can easily rip it off.
- Carhartt Firm Duck Dog Bed. Dog bed made with durable duck canvas material
- Every hardworking dog needs a place to rest. This bed is made from the same durable duck we use on our jackets and bibs but with a feel that’s broken in from the start
- Exterior shell in 12-ounce, firm-hand, 100% ring spun cotton duck canvas for durability. Extra wide YKK zipper that is concealed under zipper flap
- We all know dogs get dirty which means their beds get dirty, too: that’s why this one has washable shell with fully removable polyester fiber filled cushion
- Dimensions: Small (20" x 28" x 4.25") Medium (27" x 35" x 4.25") Large (33" x 41" x 4.25")
3. K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed - Chewproof - All Aluminum - Indoor/Outdoor - Ripstop Ballistic Fabric - Ships Assembled - Fits Inside X-Large Crates 47" x 29" x 5", Black
K9 Ballistics has made this raised dog bed for the most persistent of chewers.
It is virtually indestructible and can easily suffer through chewing, scratching, digging, biting, and other forms of ‘canine destruction.
The materials used in this elevated chew-resistant bed are tough aluminum frame and ripstop fabric.
Ripstop fabrics stop the tear from spreading.
It also resists stains, mud, pet hair, etc. making it easy to spot-clean as well.
K9 Ballistics proudly offers 180 days of chew-proof warranty – so confident they are in their bed’s toughness and durability.
You can also use the chew proof elevated bed indoors or outdoors because it easily withstands water, mud, and grime.
It is very easy to clean and fits most standard crate sizes as well.
This raised bed ensures ample air circulation in hot and humid climate to keep your pet cool in the summer heat.
What we like about it
- Chew-proof and chew-resistant, comes with warranty
- No loose ends or parts for pets to chew up
- Tough, durable, easy to clean
- Comes assembled
What we don’t like
- Some dogs found the texture too tough and refused to use it
- A few units made a lot of noise when the dog turned on it.
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Crate Dog Bed: Designed to fit in all standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage a dog's attempts to damage the crate dog bed.
- 120 Day Chew Proof Armored Warranty - If your dog chews through or damages any part of their bed within 120 days of receiving it, we will replace the damaged component(s) once free of charge.
goDog Bed’s Chew Guard Technology ensures that their beds are safe for use for mild to moderate chewers, biters, and diggers.
The company also claims that their beds last longer than most dog beds in the market and many pet parents have vouched for the same.
Its unique construction features a durable external mesh liner that bonds with the inner fleece to enhance durability and provide long-lasting comfort to your pet.
(This feature also ensures that the bed does not flatten up like a pancake a few weeks or months after use.)
A reinforced seam cover of the best chew proof dog crate pad makes the goDog Bed ideal for mild to moderate nesting, chewing, biting, scratching, and digging dogs.
goDog bed also has an anti-skid bottom which makes it suitable for placing on all kinds of smooth floor surfaces.
You can also use these lightweight beds on your travels, in cars, in wire carriers, on sofas and couches, and indoors and outdoors.
It comfortably fits inside standard crates.
What we like about it
- Chew Guard Technology and unique construction to connect outer mesh with inner filling
- Available in 6 sizes
- Super-soft surface for plush comfort for all sizes and breeds of dogs
- Textured nubs and cushioned bolster seams provide comfort and safety to pets.
What we don’t like
- Not made for very aggressive chewers.
- Measures 49" x 30"
- Features Chew Guard Technology for added durability
- Fits most standard crates and kennels , No Skid Bottom
- Constructed of soft, high pile plush with a cushioned bolster border for added comfort and safety
- While not indestructible, our beds last longer than other standard beds on the market
5. Orthopedic 4" Dog Crate Pad by Big Barker - 39" x 25.5" - Waterproof & Tear Resistant - Thick, Heavy Duty, Tough, Washable Cover - Luxury Orthopedic Support Foam Inside - Made in USA
American foam engineers have designed the Big Barker bed with high-quality orthopedic memory foam.
The sturdy material is resistant to digging, tearing, nesting, chewing, and scratching.
They have used the toughest material – Cordura super-weaved nylon – which is a rare fabric that conforms to military specs.
The best chew proof dog crate pad can thus withstand the sharpest of teeth, nails, and claws!
Big Barker has also made this comfortable dog bed with your dog’s ultimate comfort in mind.
It is free from plastic and metal parts which can dig into your pet’s skin to cause pain and discomfort.
The company has used Certi-Pur technology in their American-made foams which molds and contours around your pet’s body to provide ultimate comfort and cushioning.
It is especially beneficial for dogs having arthritis or joint aches.
What we like about it
- Made by foam engineers using rarest of Cordura nylon material which can withstand chewing, digging, nesting, and other dog behaviors.
- Army-tough military grade dog bed
- Memory foam is great for old dogs and dogs with arthritis or pain
- 100% waterproof and machine-washable
What we don’t like
- Did not fit in some crates
- Cover tends to wrinkle a lot.
- This 39" X 25.5" X 4" sized crate pad fits perfectly inside the raised lip of the plastic tray in a standard 42" x 28" large crate.
- Shamelessly Stands Out: Using the same expert foam engineering that is the unique hallmark of our best-selling dog beds, we've crafted an orthopedic crate pad that deeply cushions your dog's elbows, hips, and pressure points from the hard metal and plastic from dog crates.
- 12 Year Warranty: American-made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Our dog crate pad won't flatten or pancake and is uniquely engineered to support the pressure curves of dogs.
- Made in the USA: Handmade by experienced craftsmen and craftswomen in our small Pennsylvania workshop. We only ever use American-made foam to allow us to protect you with our "Can't flatten, Won't flatten" warranty.
- Easy to Clean: Our machine washable dog crate cover is easy to remove and can be washed without shrinking. 100% Water-resistant and prevents most moisture from penetrating. Tear-resistant, which protects against accidents, nesting, and digging.
Why Do Dogs Chew Their Beds?
These are the main reasons why dogs tend to chew their beds:
A) Young Dogs Chew Everything when Teething
Puppies and younger dogs often chew their beds while teething.
Chewing calms their sensitive gums and provides them with much needed saliva to lubricate and soothe the irritated gums.
Chewing is also an instinctive behavior in young puppies.
You can protect your furniture, slippers, and linen (not to mention your pet’s bed) by providing plenty of chew toys, rawhide bones, milk-bones, etc. to your teething puppy.
Also Read: Are Milk Bones Bad for Dogs
B) Separation Anxiety and Nervousness
Many dogs hate being left alone in their crates or get nervous when separated from their humans.
Dogs with severe separation anxiety, those with a history of trauma and abuse (seen in rescued dogs) often chew or dig their beds and crate pads or mats.
Chewing is a way of attention seeking. It also could be a cry for help from your pet.
If your dog is afraid of loud noises like thunder or vehicular noises from outside and if you happen to leave it alone for hours, then it could resort to bed chewing.
Speak to a vet or a canine behaviorist to alleviate this behavior.
Many dogs indulge in bed chewing when they are bored.
You must exercise your pet based on its energy level (which depends on its size and breed).
Medium and large breeds require at least 1 to 2 hours of exercise every day.
Some breeds might need even more based on their origins.
If you have brought home a dog that is supposed to be working all day in the field, do not expect it to be a couch potato.
Even smaller dogs need walks twice a day without which, they can get restless, bored, and indulge in destructive behaviors.
Provide plenty of toys, puzzles, and playtime to your pets to curb chewing and biting behavior.
D) Underlying Health Issues
If your dog suddenly starts digging or chewing up its bed, then it might be experiencing pain or some kind of health issue.
Older dogs might try and dig the bed to create a ‘nest’ that supports or comforts their aching joints.
An old dog bed might have flattened out due to which your pet might dig it up to fluff it.
Watch out for other signs and symptoms of pain and speak to your vet to resolve it.
Also Read: Best Chew Proof Dog Blanket
How Do You Stop Your Dog from Chewing its Bed or Crate Pads?
There are a number of things you can do to end this behavior:
1) Upgrade to Sturdier Beds and Crate-pads
Invest in a sturdier chew proof crate pad and indestructible dog beds.
Your dog won’t be able to get through the tough canvas or nylon material which will deter further chewing.
We have recommended some great products above.
Also Read: Best Chew Proof Dog Crate
2) Use Chew Deterrent Sprays
There are many chew-and-bite deterrent sprays available in the market.
We recommend Emmy’s Bitter Spray for Dogs and Puppies .
Being alcohol-free, it is completely safe to use around puppies and even older dogs.
The bitter smell and taste can prevent your pet from chewing up its beds and crate pads.
3) Get Rid of Underlying Health Issues
As stated earlier, your dog might be trying to tell you something through its chewing and tearing action.
Perhaps it is separation anxiety. It could also be an underlying health issue like joint aches.
Speak to your vet to determine the exact cause.
These days, there are many anxiety-calming dog chews and treats (we recommend Hemp Calming Treats ) which you can use to calm down your anxious pet.
Once your pet starts feeling better, the digging and chewing behavior will also stop.
4) Exercise your Pet
A bored dog is a destructive dog.
When you exercise your pet, it gets to expends all of that built-up energy which will automatically curb unwanted behaviors like chewing, biting, tearing up the sheets, etc.
You must also stimulate your pet mentally.
Teach him some tricks, train him daily, and provide him some Kong toys to play with.
This will alleviate boredom-related chewing.
How to Select The Best Chew Proof Dog Crate Pad?
A) Look for bed with the toughest of fabrics
The best chew proof dog bed for crate should be made with ripstop fabric, ballistic military-grade materials, combined with sturdy and durable foam.
Cordura nylon, canvas, and PVC are some other materials that dogs find tough to chew.
Avoid beds having fabrics like cotton, velvet, and silk which can be easily punctured and pierced through by sharp teeth and claws.
B) Avoid beds with visible zips and easy-to-chew-seams
Dogs can easily find those loose zippers of the crate covers and chew through them.
That is why, clever dog bed manufacturers have come up with enclosed zip designs that dogs cannot easily find and chew through.
C) Meets your pet’s comfort requirements
If you have an old dog with painful joints, arthritis, or other health issues, then select a bed or crate that has orthopedic memory foam.
This hugs and contours around your pet’s body to provide ultimate comfort.
If you plan on using the bed inside your dog’s crate, then make sure you measure the crate properly before selecting the chew proof dog crate mat.
You can also opt for lightweight and portable beds that you can take along on your travels or place in your car, outdoors on the porch etc.
E) Waterproof/water resistant and easy to clean
Accidents do happen, no matter how well-trained your pet may be.
Select a water proof or water-resistant dog bed that will catch spills and leaks and prevent them from seeping down.
Ensure that the bed’s cover is washable in the washing machine. It should not shrink, fade or bleed colors during washing.
Also Read: Can You Use Baby Wipes on Dogs
The best chew proof dog crate pad can easily withstand chewing, digging, nesting, and other canine destructive behaviors.
We recommend K9 Ballistics Tough Dog Crate Pad made with sturdy ripstop fabric, and a taut construction especially designed for chewers and diggers.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.