How to make dog fur shiny? We have the exact solutions for you!
Your pet needs a healthy diet rich in essential oils, protein, and vitamins.
Next, you also need to spend some time in grooming it regularly.
In this guide, we will tell you all the products and supplements you need that will surely give your dog a shinier and healthier fur.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top reviewed products for how to make dog fur shiny:
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dog Food
- Pawfectchow Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplements
- Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Grooming Brush
- DELOMO De-shedding Pet Grooming Glove
- Adams Anti-Flea and Tick Spray
- No products found.
- NUTIVA Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
How to Make Dog Fur Shiny – 8 Tips for Best Results
1. Provide sufficient protein in its diet
Dogs are primarily carnivores. In the wild, their diets mainly consists of meat.
That is the reason why you won’t find wolves with any fur-related issues or skin problems.
Wolves are dogs’ closest ancestors, so it goes without saying that your dog’s diet should resemble that of a wolf’s.
In short: your pet needs high-quality protein for getting that dense, healthy, and shiny fur.
Blue Buffalo dog food closely mimics a dog’s ancestral diet: high protein, real meat, and no grains.
This is the best way to give your pet a healthier coat.
Being gluten-free, your pet will have reduced hair fall, itching, dry skin, and other skin problems associated with gluten allergen.
In addition to protein, this food also contains a healthy blend of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and the brand’s patented LifeSource® Bits which is a blend of healthy antioxidants.
These are vital nutrients for healthy skin and coats.
All these ingredients in Blue Buffalo Natural Dog Food are selected by holistic veterinarians and canine experts.
It is no wonder that so many dogs are doing so well on this food.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real chicken to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
2. Add Omega Essential Fatty Acids to Its diet
Your dog needs a balanced ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids, because its body cannot produce these essential fatty acids on its own.
Omega fatty acids are especially required for healthy skin and coat in pets because they make the fur and skin more permeable to water.
As permeability improves, your dog’s coat will radiate with good health!
These days, many dog food brands fortify their food with these essential fatty acids.
However, it is very important that the ratio of omegas is balanced.
Not all foods contain a balanced ratio of Omega essential fatty acids.
In addition, many dog foods are highly processed.
They also use preservatives to enhance the food’s shelf-life.
That is why you need external Omega fatty acid supplements that are specially formulated with balanced Omega 3-6-9 ratio.
We recommend the Pawfectchow Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplements.
Pawfectchow chew supplements contain wild Alaskan salmon oil that provides EPA and DHA – essential fatty acids – to your pet.
These chews have a balanced ratio of Omegas 3-6-9 which nourish your pet’s skin and coat from inside.
They also contain Biotin, algae, and zinc – all of which are sure to provide your pet with a healthy coat.
Many pet parents have seen reduced shedding, itching, dryness, and skin allergies in their pets supplemented with Pawfectchow.
Pawfectchow fish oil supplement also improved heart health, immunity, and provide hip and joint support to pets.
They also contain vitamin C without harmful sugar, dairy, corn, or soy.
You can use this supplement for puppies and senior dogs – for all breeds and sizes.
- Natural Omega 3 for Dogs - with salmon fish oil and natural algae, these chewable supplements is packed with valuable Omega 3 6 9 fatty acid (with EPA and DHA), vitamins, minerals essential for your dog's health.
- Dog Skin & Coat Supplement, Allergy Relief - each chew is formulated with Fish oil, Biotin, Vitamin C and E to help your pet with hot spots and dry, itching, irritated, sensitive, and flaky skin, prevent shedding, while promoting soft, shiny skin and coat.
- Risk Free Guaranteed - this chewable treatment is made in the USA, with sustainably sourced, USA-made ingredient. Treats contain absolutely No sugar, dairy, corn or soy-derived products, no hormones, no artificial flavoring or preservatives.
- Hip & Joint, Immunity Support - these Omega-rich soft chewables also work to support hip and joint health, support immune system, heart and brain function, improve general energy level.
- Treat with Delicious Flavor - even the best supplement won't be any good if your dog won't eat it, so we made sure our chews are as delicious as you can get, so even a picky eater will love it.
3. Use an oatmeal-based shampoo
Vets often prescribe the use of oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal (ground oatmeal) shampoos for dogs with pruritis, itching, allergies, and dull and lifeless coats.
In case you are wondering how to make dog fur shiny, then the use of an oatmeal-based shampoo is the answer.
Oatmeal in pet shampoo has the following benefits:
- It removes allergens from the skin and coat
- It rehydrates the skin and restores the skin’s epidermal barrier to prevent dryness. This soothes irritated, dry, and itchy skin.
- Colloidal oatmeal is an emollient – a substance that soothes, nourishes, and hydrates the skin. It helps dogs having inflammatory skin conditions.
- Oatmeal has healing, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties. With regular use, your dog will surely have shiny fur and healthy and soft skin and coat.
We recommend the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo.
It contains aloe and colloidal oatmeal which both have soothing, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties.
This shampoo is known to reduce allergies, dryness, constant scratching in dogs.
Moreover, it is fortified with vitamins A, B, D, and E that nourish your pet’s skin, prevent shedding and heal skin issues.
(Check out our guide on Best Cat Shampoo for Shedding).
Earthbath shampoo is soap-free which makes it gentle and pH-balanced for a dog’s delicate skin.
Its vanilla and almond scent will leave your pet smelling great.
There are no sulfates, parabens, harsh colors or fragrances in this natural shampoo.
It is little wonder that even pet groomers and vets recommend this natural shampoo to their patrons.
- ADDRESS DRY, ITCHY, AND FLAKY SKIN - Colloidal Oatmeal and Organic Aloe Vera help combat skin irritation, promote healing, and re-moisturize sensitive, dry skin
- BRILLIANTLY CLEAN & SOFT - This luxurious shampoo is soap free and pH-balanced to clean and deodorize safely and thoroughly, leaving your pet's coat and skin plush and smelling better than ever before
- SAFETY FIRST - Our Oatmeal & Aloe, Vanilla & Almond Shampoo will not wash off topical flea applications. Safe for all animals over 6 weeks old
- KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING - What goes into our products is just as important as what doesn't. This product contains no soap, gluten, DEA, parabens, synthetic dyes, sulfates, or phthalates, and is animal cruelty free, for a better bath every time!
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason. You have nothing to lose
4. Groom your dog Regularly
Wondering how to make dog fur shiny? Well, there is nothing like a session of grooming to do so!
Grooming removes parasites, dead skin cells, and loose or stray hairs and also stimulates the natural oils under your pet’s skin.
The result is a shiny, soft, and healthy skin and coat you will love running your hands through!
Use a high-quality slicker brush to groom your dog daily or at least a couple of times a week.
We recommend the Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush .
Hertzko is an all-in-one pet grooming brush suitable for long, short, wiry, curly, and straight coats.
It has the ability to massage, groom, and stimulate the natural oils in your pet’s skin giving it a shinier and softer fur.
Hertzko’s self-cleaning ability makes it very convenient for pet parents during your pet’s shedding season – you can easily remove tons of dead hair with just a click of a button!
This means lesser hair on your clothes, furniture, and carpets!
Hertzko’s bristles are soft and have an optimal height that reaches deep down to the roots of your dog’s undercoat to easily trap all the dead hairs.
Your pet will love these bonding sessions and also feel good after daily grooming.
Also Read: Best Cat Brush for Long Haired Cats
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush - Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets; trusted by millions of pet owners
- Effective - Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Versatile - Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Easy to Clean - Simply retract bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur
- Smart Design - Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy & healthy
In case you are too busy to brush your pet every day, you can use a grooming glove.
The grooming glove is easier to use and is especially suitable for younger pets or pets that are not used to sitting still during brushing.
We recommend the DELOMO De-shedding pet-hair remover glove.
DELOMO grooming glove can save you a lot of time on daily brushing of your pet. It easily does that job for you and all you need to do is wear it on your hands!
Simply run your gloved hand all over your pet’s body – like you do when you are petting or cuddling it.
The nubs on the glove will catch all of the dead, loose, and stray hairs.
Worry not – the hair will remain stuck to the glove until you remove it- so there won’t be any mess around for you to clean up later.
DELOMO glove’s nubs gently stimulate the natural oils in your pet’s coat and massage its body.
With regular use, your pets will experience luxurious hair growth with softer and shinier fur.
The best part is that DELOMO grooming glove won’t harm your pet – it gently does the task of removing all of the loose and stray hairs without painful hair-pulling or scratching of your pet’s skin.
Also Read: Best Grooming Glove for Cats
- UPGRADE VERSION: With enhanced 255 silicone grooming tips, mimics the touch of your hand for a soft and relaxing massage; This flexible, slip-on grooming gloves allow you to brush away dirt and loose hair from cats and dogs
- Hair Remover: Perfect for long, short and curly haired dogs, cats, horses, and other pets, grooming the hair quickly, gently and effectively; The shedding hair sticks to the glove, making it easy to peel and throw hair away
- Bath Brush: Bathe the pets with this glove, which will clean the pet hair easily and give your pets a gentle massage without hurting their skin; Five finger design allows you to groom hard-to-reach places like tail or face
- Skin-friendly: Free from any materials which could cause skin damage; Soft rubber ensure gentle massage and grooming without painful removing of fur or scratching the skin; One size fits all, it has adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable fit
- What You Get: 2 blue DELOMO pet gloves (1 left-hand and 1 right-hand; The left-hand glove is customized for left-hander)
5. Bathe your pet regularly
Vets recommend bathing dogs at least once a month, not more than that, since over-bathing tends to strip off natural oils leaving the coat dry and dull.
Always use a vet-approved shampoo to bathe your pet – avoid using human shampoos because their pH is different than a dog’s skin pH. (Do try the oatmeal shampoo we have recommended above).
Bathing helps remove excess oils, dead and loose fur, and also parasites, if any.
If your pet has a skin issue such as ringworm, fungal skin infection, scabies, or mange which may be responsible for its dull coat, then use a medicated antifungal shampoo.
We recommend No products found.No products found.
Arava Natural dog shampoo has 28 natural ingredients combined with Dead Sea Minerals that are vet-approved
to reduce fungal, bacterial, and yeast skin infections in dogs.
It will also leave your pet with a shinier, softer, and fresh-smelling coat.
No products found.
It is a good practice to brush your pet thoroughly before bathing – this will remove the shed hair and prevent your bathroom drains from clogging.
As a final rinse, add a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar to half a bucket of warm water and pour the mixture over your pet’s coat.
Let the coat dry naturally.
Apple cider vinegar helps prevent fleas, ticks, as well as bacterial and fungal skin infections.
It also seals the hair cuticles leaving your dog with a shinier coat.
Also Read: Vet Answers to ‘Can You Use Baby Shampoo on Dogs’?
6. Use Steps to Prevent fleas and ticks
When your dog has fleas or ticks or both, it can get miserable with all that scratching.
Flea allergy dermatitis leads to intense itchiness and scratching which could cause massive hair loss and also leave your pet with a poor coat.
You must take fleas and tick infestations seriously because they rapidly escalate.
Fleas lay hundreds of eggs every day and they can even bite humans.
Ticks could cause Lyme disease in humans as well as other diseases like Rocky Mountain Fever.
Tick-fever is also known to be fatal to dogs.
We recommend the Adams Plus Flea and Tick Spray for Cats and Dogs.
Adams Plus Flea and Tick spray kills eggs, larvae, and adult fleas and ticks to stop infestations before they spiral out of control.
The spray can quickly stop intense itchiness and scratching that leaves dogs with unhealthy and dull coats with patchy hair loss.
The best part is that this is a long-lasting spray and it also works as soon as you apply it.
Your pet will soon be resting happily as no more scratching!
- KILLS FLEAS & FLEA EGGS - This highly effective combination of ingredients provides quick relief from biting fleas and continuous killing of flea eggs laid on the animal, breaking the flea life cycle.
- KILLS TICKS - Adams Plus Flea & Tick Spray kills Deer Ticks which may transmit Lyme Disease.
- REPELS MOSQUITOES - A light, even coverage of your pet's hair or coat will also provide effective repellency of mosquitoes.
- CONVENIENT TO USE - For use on canine companions 10 weeks and older and feline friends 12 weeks and older. This spray is designed with a convenient trigger for easy and even application.
- DUAL ACTION - Dual action kills adult fleas and prevents flea development.
7. Add coconut oil to nourish Its skin & fur
There is no doubt that coconut oil can do wonders for your dog’s skin and coat.
The best part is that you can use coconut oil internally as well as topically to heal skin issues, if any.
A few teaspoons of coconut oil each day is all it takes to give your pet a shinier, softer, and healthier coat that glistens with health and radiance. (Please consult your vet before using coconut oil in your pet, as well as its exact dosage).
And you need not worry about weight gain: cold pressed coconut oil can actually aid in weight management.
This means that it can help skinny dogs gain healthy weight while curbing unhealthy appetite in obese dogs and also lubricating their painful joints.
Coconut oil provides medium-chain fatty acids to your pet to improve its skin’s water permeability. It also nourishes your pet from the inside out.
Within weeks, you will see the results in the form of a softer and shinier fur and coat.
We recommend Nutiva Cold-Pressed Unrefined Coconut Oil.
It naturally conditions and moisturizes your pet’s skin – whether you use it externally or feed it daily to your furbaby.
Being non GMO, certified organic, and also sustainably sourced, you will feel good about choosing this oil for your pet.
- Nutiva partners with organic farmers to source the world’s finest fresh, organic virgin coconuts and stringently adheres to USDA certified organic and non-GMO guidelines
- Ideal addition to Whole30, vegetarian, vegan, raw, whole food, paleo, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets and a great alternative to margarine or cooking oil
- Ideal as a medium heat cooking oil with a high smoke point (350°F/177°C) and perfect for baking, frying and sautéing
- Provides nutrient-rich hydration as a natural moisturizer for radiant skin and hair and great for massages
- All-natural cold press extraction process yields a pure, light-tasting oil containing 63% medium-chain triglycerides and 50% lauric acid without the use of dangerous and harmful chemicals, hexane, or heat
8. Consult your vet to Treat underlying health issues
If, despite all the above steps, your pet is still having dull, dry, and itchy coat, then please consult your vet.
There may be some underlying health issues like thyroid, diabetes, or other endocrine problems that may be preventing your pet from getting that healthy coat it deserves.
Your vet will perform a complete diagnostic test to determine the root cause behind the dryness and itchy skin.
With proper treatment, your pet will soon have the luxurious coat that it deserves.
How to make dog fur shiny is easy with the right grooming tools and products, a healthy protein-rich diet, supplementation with Omega essential fatty acids, as well as natural ingredients like coconut oil.
We hope that the above guide helps give your fur baby the shiny coat it deserves.