Stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl is designed to slow down your dog’s eating speed.
These important dog accessories can prevent serious problems like choking, bloating, and gastro-intestinal issues in dogs.
The best stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl also promote mindful and attentive eating which, in turn, can result in several long-term health benefits in your dog.
In this guide, we have 5 high-quality metal slow feeder dog bowl that are dog-approved and can help prevent serious health issues in your beloved pet.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl:
- Best Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl Stainless Steel
- Best Elevated Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – Neater Feeder Express Elevated Dog Bowls
- Best Budget Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – OurPets DuraPet Slow Feed Premium Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
- Best Overall Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – ProSelect Dog Stainless Steel Brake-Fast Slow Feed Bowl
- Best Double Bowl Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – 7SUOKITO Pet Dog Bowls One Stainless Steel Dog Bowls
Best Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – 2021 Top 5 Picks
Our Editor’s Pick: Best Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl - Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl Stainless Steel
Neater slow feeder bowls are made with sturdy, rust-resistant stainless-steel which are hygienic and safe for your pet. (They are suitable for small to medium breed dogs).
Each bowl has central raised portions that keep the kibble or wet food along the edges of the bowl. Your dog will have to chase the kibble around which can considerably slow down your fast eater.
Neater slow feeder dog bowls are designed to fit the elevated stainless steel dog feeder mentioned below. Their diameter is 6.5” which can fit about 1 cup of food or up to 2 cups when packed to the brim.
What we like about it
- Stainless-steel hygienic, safe, non-toxic, long-lasting
- Skid-free design
- Easy to clean
What we don’t like
- Not for dogs with large muzzle.
- Fits Inside the Neater Feeder Deluxe Medium & Other Elevated Feeder — Fits feeders with hole opening between 5.75" - 6.25”.
- Slows Down Rapid Eaters — Eating too quickly can lead to indigestion, vomiting, bloat, and overeating. Using a slow feed bowl helps prevent your dog from the dreaded “scarf and barf.”
- Just Challenging Enough — Ever look at a slow feed bowl and think, how in the world will my dog get the food out of that? The idea is to slow your dog’s eating down, not to create unnecessary frustration. Our bowl is designed to slow them down without driving them crazy.
- Capacity and Dimensions — Holds 1 cup of food comfortably, but up to 2 cups when filled to the brim. 6.5" Diameter and 2" Height. Perfect for Small to Medium sized dog breeds. * Capacities may vary depending on the size of the kibble you're feeding your pet. Please watch the video to see the size and shape of the kibble we used to do the measurements. If using larger and rounder kibble, you may fit less. If using a smaller kibble, you may fit more.
- Stainless Steel & Dishwasher Safe — This bowl is made of stainless steel and is dishwasher safe. Stainless steel is the preferred bowl material of many pet owners because it is durable, doesn’t hold odors, and doesn’t collect bacteria like some other dog bowl materials.
Combine the health benefits of elevated dog bowls with stainless steel slow feeder dog bowls and you get the convenient Neater Feeder Express Raised Slow Feeder Pet bowls.
There are two colors and 4 sizes available in Neater Feeder Express Raised Slow Feeder Dog Bowls. Depending on the size, these bowls can easily hold anywhere between 1.5 to 8 cups of food (both dry and canned).
Your dog will eat much slower with this raised dog bowl to reduce several health issues like vomiting, gastrointestinal issues, etc.
At the same time, elevated bowls contain the splashes and spills keeping your pet’s feeding area cleaner.
It is especially for dogs with spinal issues or senior dogs that have trouble bending down to eat.
The best part about Neater Feeder bowls is that all its parts can be separated and washed in the dishwasher. They are extremely well-made, heavy-duty bowls that are stable and even kick-proof!
What we like about it
- Easy to assemble and easy to clean, dishwasher-safe
- Leak-proof, kick-proof, heavy duty, sturdy
What we don’t like
- No facility provided for securing the bowls inside the slots – they move around while the dog eats.
- SLOW FEED BOWL INCLUDED - Comes with one Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl - Slows Rapid Eating, Reduces Vomiting, Improves Digestion and stops Bloat.
- MADE FOR MEDIUM TO LARGE DOGS - Designed for medium to large dog breeds over 9" at the shoulder & over 18 lbs in weight. Includes (1) 7 Cup sized bowl and (1) 4 Cup capacity Slow Feed Bowl. DISCLAIMER: Neater Feeder Express is NOT compatible with any Leg Extensions.
- MESS PROOF - Spilled food is separated and contained at the top, while spilled water drains into the catch basin below to keep your feeding area neat and clean.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING - Spills and messes are completey contained within the feeder, saving you time cleaning floors and walls.
- DISHWASHER SAFE - All parts of the feeder including dog bowls as well as top and bottom basins are 100% dishwasher safe. The Neater Feeder is Made in the USA. The stainless steel bowls are made in India.
Best Budget Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl - OurPets DuraPet Slow Feed Premium Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
OurPets DuraPet has a central stainless-steel, heavy raised portion which slows down food gobbling in dogs.
Its special design makes your pet focus on the food present on the outer edges of the bowl and considerably slows down the speed of eating.
Your dog will also eat more mindfully and with complete mental attention on its food as it tries to navigate around the raised center.
A double-bonded rubber ring at the bottom prevents skidding and reduces mess while eating.
This heavy-duty stainless steel bowl can be easily washed in the dishwasher. Its material is rust-and-crack-resistant and also very easy to clean. These features minimize food odors as well as bacterial accumulation.
OurPets DuraPet bowls come in different sizes for different dog breeds – small to large to hold between 2 to 6 cups of dry or wet food.
What we like about it
- Solid centerpiece causes dogs to eat slower and eat with more mental attention.
- Premium stainless steel, heavy-duty material easy to clean, rust-resistant, and odor-less.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Lightweight – weighs just 10 oz. when empty
What we don’t like
- The raised hump accumulates water in it when the bowl is washed in the dishwasher.
- SLOW FEEDER DOG BOWL BENEFITS: A slow feeder dog bowl can help reduce choking. When eating from this slow feeder dog bowl, the solid centerpiece design causes them to eat along the edge with more mental attention, resulting in a slower feeding routine.
- PATENTED SKID-PROOF BOTTOM: The DuraPet slow feeder dog bowl is a top-of-the-line design at an affordable price. To prevent skidding, a permanently bonded ring was added to the bottom. This design prevents sliding and tipping during feeding time.
- SLOW FEEDER MADE OF HEAVYWEIGHT DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL: Durable, long-lasting stainless steel dog bowls offer a healthy alternative to plastic. A great alternative to snuffle mats for dogs, lick mats for dogs, and dog puzzle toys.
- DISHWASHER SAFE DOG BOWLS: Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning. Our dog slow feeder bowl dog dishes are rust resistant, hygienic, and don’t hold odors.
- AVAILABLE IN THREE SIZES: Small: holds up to 3 cups of dry food, Medium: holds up to 5 cups of dry food, Large: holds up to 8 cups of dry food.
Best Overall Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl - ProSelect Dog Stainless Steel Brake-Fast Slow Feed Bowl
ProSelect dog bowl features three simple obstructions/stanchions in the center which slow down your pet’s eating speed considerably. These stanchions can be removed for easy cleaning.
These high-quality stainless steel slow feeder dog bowls from ProSelect are made in the United States.
They are easy to wash and also dishwasher friendly (top rack only).
You can use these bowls for dry food/kibble as well as wet/canned food. Depending on the size you select (small/medium/large), you can easily fill anywhere between 2 to 6 cups of food.
We love the fact that vets have tested these food bowls and recommended them for dog breeds prone to bloat/gastric dilation volvulus.
What we like about it
- High-quality, safe, durable with three cones
- Stanchions are removable for easy cleaning
- Made in the USA
What we don’t like about it
- Soapy water accumulates under the cones/stanchions and develops a nasty odor. You might have to hand-wash the bowl in these areas.
- Helps reduce the risk of Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (bloating)
- Works with kibble or canned food
- Bowls are made in the U.S.A and are durable and dishwasher safe
- Veterinarian tested and recommended
- Small holds 1.5 cups, Medium holds 5 cups and Large holds up to 8 cups
Best Double Bowl Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl - 7SUOKITO Pet Dog Bowls One Stainless Steel Dog Bowls
7Suokito dog or puppy bowl has a creative grooved design that separates your pet’s food (wet or dry) to slow it down from gulping too fast.
This is a set of two bowls with raised edges that easily fit inside special grooves on a bone-shaped silicone mat. This way, you can keep your pet’s food and water together and minimize the space occupied.
Size of the bowl is 6 ½ oz. and 6 oz. (No other sizes are available but you can get them in different colors).
Both bowls fit snugly inside the mat’s grooves so they don’t tilt or turn-over. Additionally, the mat catches any spills and splashes to keep your floors clean and reducing cleanup hassles for you.
Being made of food-grade silicone and stainless steel materials, you know your pet won’t be exposed to any toxins or BPA.
These materials are also rust-resistant and easy to clean. You can remove both the bowls for washing in the dishwasher.
7Suokito also reinforces all their products and subjects them to stringent quality testing.
What we like about it
- Slow feeder silicone and stainless-steel bowls for small dogs
- High-quality non-toxic, rust-free materials
What we don’t like
- Only for small or toy breeds, not available in other sizes.
- NOTE: “6½ oz + 6 oz”(SIZE: “S”) is designed for extra small pets that weigh under 8 POUNDS: like kittens, cats, miniature puppies
- SAFE AND HEALTHY: We are also cat owners, and we do know what cats need and what cat owners care. Instead of using cheap plastic or rubber to gain more profits, We choose safer, food-grade silicone and stainless steel to build a quality product. Besides, the slow feeder design can prevent pets from choking and help digestion
- KEEP YOUR FLOOR DRY AND CLEAN: Our bowl set is a non-tip design. Your kittens can’t tip it over. Besides, the mat is made of silicone, so it can reduce slip and protect your floor. The silicone mat and raised rim can catch all the food and water that gets spilled. Your dry socks will thank you
- EASY TO CLEAN: Our kitten bowl set is a 3-in-1 design: one slow feeder, one water bowl, and one silicone base. You can easily pop it, soak it in hot water and then rinse with water, and it dries quickly. Besides, it is 100% dishwasher safe that makes it a breeze to clean each day
- Notice: It’s not polite to brag, but you should know the truth: all our products are reinforced and under a strict quality control system. So they perform better in durability. And If you have any questions or concerns, please write to us
What are the Benefits of Using the Best Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl?
A. Slow down gulping of food
High-quality slow feeder dog bowls can reduce your pet’s speed of eating and gulping down food.
Puppies often eat too fast because they are always hungry.
Rescued dogs eat too fast because of perceived competition and past trauma.
Gulping down of food can lead to many health issues in your dog.
Slow feeders have raised cones that separate the food so your dog has no choice but to navigate around these obstacles. This automatically slows him down.
Many bowls with special raised cones are known to slow down food eating speed by nearly 10 times!
B. Prevent bloat in deep-chested dog breeds
In deep-chested breeds like Cane Corsos, Great Danes, etc. speedy-eating can lead to a potentially fatal condition called gastric dilation volvulus or bloat. This is a very serious issue that could require emergency surgery.
Many dogs have even died from bloat as they did not receive treatment on time.
A slow feeder stainless steel bowl is a worthwhile investment for parents of these dog breeds and can prevent unnecessary heartache.
C. Improve digestion
Speedy eating can also lead to vomiting, choking, or regurgitation of food in your dog.
Moreover, your pet could swallow a lot of air while eating which can cause flatulence, belching, farting, belly aches, and other gastrointestinal issues.
Slow steel bowl feeders can prevent speedy-eating and improve your dog’s digestion.
D. Prevent obesity
Dogs that eat too fast often eat too much. This is because, they do not eat mindfully and resultantly they feel like they haven’t eaten much.
Just like in humans, eating slowly and mindfully leads to less food intake in pets.
Dogs that eat too fast often demand more meals because of the lack of satiety.
These eating patterns can lead to unhealthy weight gain and obesity in your pet.
With stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl, your pet will eat more attentively, chew its food slowly, and also pause more between morsels.
As its speed of eating slows down, your pet will automatically refrain for asking for more food as s/he is more likely to feel satiated.
E. Prevent stress
Dogs eat too fast often because they feel stressed and because of perceived competition with other dogs. This behavior is seen in rescued dogs that have had to fight for food or share food with other dogs.
Slow feeder dog bowls can reduce that stress and panic associated with meal times and you will see many benefits in the form of a happier, calmer, and more relaxed pet.
Thus, the best dog slow feeder can prevent many health problems in your dog.
What Features to Look for in Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Dog Bowl?
The main feature to consider in any food bowl is the size.
The bowl should hold adequate quantity of food for your pet’s size.
In general, you need to consider bowls that can hold at least 1.5 to 2 cups of food for small breed dogs and puppies and 4 to 5 cups of food for adult larger breeds.
You also might have to buy several bowls in case your pet eats more frequently during the day.
Puppies need 4-6 small meals so you might need multiple metal slow feeder dog bowl that hold adequate quantity of food (especially if you free-feed or have to leave your pet home alone for prolonged periods of time).
The bowl should ideally have a diameter of at least 6.5-inches with a 2-inch height for small to medium dogs.
2. Your dog’s facial features
Select a stainless slow feeder dog bowl that won’t hurt your pet’s nose.
Some slow-feed dog bowls with raised cones or stanchions tend to hurt dog’s snouts or muzzles while eating.
This won’t pose a problem for dogs with squashed-in (brachycephalic) faces as they do not have pointed snouts that get in the way.
So do consider your dog-breed and select a bowl accordingly.
3. With or without elevation
Elevated dog bowls have many benefits. They are ideal for dogs with spinal issues and neck injuries.
Also, they aid in digestion and allow the food to pass down more easily into the stomach.
In case you buy a slow feeder dog bowl separately, select one that will fit in the groove of the elevated platform.
4. With or without a water bowl
If you have space limitations, you might want to select a stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl with a water bowl arrangement on a mat or an elevated platform.
Keeping the food and water bowls together helps prevent messy cleanup in different places and also minimizes space requirements.
When Should I Get a Slow Feeder Bowl for my dog?
If you have a large and deep-chested dog breed
Larger and deep chested dog breeds (Great Dane, Cane Corso etc.) are prone to bloat or gastric dilation volvulus. The condition could be trigged by very fast eating or gulping of air while eating.
You can, to some extent, prevent this condition by using a slow feeder bowl.
If you have a pet that is anxious/obsessed about food
Rescue dogs that have the habit of eating too fast can benefit from slow feeder bowls.
If despite all your efforts your rescued pet eats very fast or seems anxious about its meals, then a slow feeder bowl can reduce stress and anxiety and slow it down.
What are the Reasons for Dogs Eating Too Fast?
A. Obsession with food
Dogs, especially puppies, are often food-obsessed. They cannot wait for their next meal.
Many dogs raised in shelters also have an obsession with food because of having spent their lives competing for food.
The sense of competition is normal canine behavior that stems from instinct.
B. Irregular feeding schedules
This is seen in rescued pets and pets that are left home all alone without food.
In such cases, the poor dog has to depend on its owner to come home and feed it.
As a result, they eat fast not knowing when they will get their next meal.
C. Deficiencies and poor nutrition
Malnourishment and deficiencies can also cause fast-eating.
If your pet is not getting balanced nutrition, then too it might crave food and when it gets the food, s/he might eat too fast.
High-quality dog food with satiating and balanced nourishment can help you prevent this issue.
D. Underlying health issues
Some diseases like diabetes, Cushing’s Disease etc. can also cause speedy eating because of rapid metabolism.
Other causes of speedy gulping down of food include parasites or intestinal worms which cause intense hunger in your pet.
What else can You Do to Slow down Your Pet’s Fast Eating?
Apart from switching to the best stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl, you can take the following preventive measures to curb speedy-eating in your pet:
1. Follow proper meal schedules
Feed your pet at scheduled times. Speak to your vet about the right quantity and feeding schedules based on your pet’s age, weight, and activity levels.
Younger dogs need frequent meals – growing puppies need at least 4-6 small-though-nutritious meals.
In case you have to leave your pet alone for prolonged periods, use an automatic dog feeder or arrange for someone to feed your pet.
2. Feed a high-quality balanced food
Feed your pet a high-quality food rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, etc.
The food should also contain fiber to give that ‘full-feeling’ or increased satiety.
Avoid low-quality foods with fillers that add zero nutrition and empty calories.
Speak to your vet and find the right food (wet or dry) based on your dog’s overall health profile.
3. Increase the number of meals
Increasing the number of meals can help provide satiety and reduce your dog’s anxiety about food.
This is especially necessary for rescued dogs or dogs that have had to compete for food all their life.
4. Use puzzles/obstacles to make meal times fun
Many canine toys let you ‘hide’ your pet’s food in them.
These toys help in two ways: they mentally stimulate your pet and also slow down its eating.
Place the food in Kong food dispensing toys so your pet can have hours of fun trying to find its food and hidden treats inside.
This will reduce your pet’s anxiety about food and also make him/her smarter!
Are Slow Feeder Bowls good for dogs?
Yes, slow feeder dog bowls can help fast eaters curb their eating speed and slow down considerably.
Not all dogs benefit from them though.
If your dog is already very picky or has a poor appetite, then the slow feeder might actually repel it from eating completely.
Dogs with large muzzles cannot comfortably eat from slow feeders as the depth of the bowl might hurt their noses and they cannot reach the food deep below.
Check with your vet whether your pet needs a slow feeder dog bowl.
Are metal slow feeder bowls better for dogs?
Metal bowls are always better than plastic bowls when it comes to feeding your dog.
Metal bowls are less prone to cracking. Plastic bowls develop miniscule cracks that remain invisible to the naked eye. These cracks can accumulate food and food odors.
Sensitive dogs might even refuse to eat from such bowls.
Moreover, the cracked bowls can accumulate bacteria and literally become breeding grounds for pathogens.
Therefore, metal slow feeders are always better than plastic slow feeder dog bowls.
The best stainless steel slow feeder dog bowl can considerably slow down your pet’s speed of eating to prevent many serious health issues like vomiting, bloat, choking, etc.
We recommend the Neater Stainless Steel Slow Feeder Pet Bowlsas they are sturdy, durable and easy to clean.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.