The best chew proof dog blanket can protect your sofa, furniture, and even your pet’s bed from its digging, chewing, nesting, and scratching actions.
If you have a dog that chews and bites blankets, then you know how annoying it can be.
The 5 chew proof dog blankets listed below can withstand all these actions with ease.
They will also provide your pet with all the warmth and coziness it needs and yet are sturdy enough to deter chewing.
These blankets also wash well without losing their plush texture.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best chew proof dog blanket:
- PetAmi Waterproof Fleece Dog Blanket
- PETMAKER Soft Plush Dog Throw Blanket
- Max and Neo Waterproof Fleece Dog Blanket
- Bone Dry Embossed Bone Print Dog Blanket
- FurryBaby Fluffy Fleece Blanket
Best Chew Proof Dog Blanket – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1) Our Editor’s Pick: PetAmi WATERPROOF Dog Blanket for Pets, Medium Dogs Puppies Cats | Soft Sherpa Fleece Pet Blanket Throw for Sofa Couch | Thick Durable Warm Pet Bed Cover Floor Mat, Protects Furniture (Plaid Charcoal)
PetAmi pet blankets have a GSM rating of 460 gsm.
This means that there are 460 grams per square meter of microfiber polyester in the blanket – making it thick, durable, and tough for dogs to rip or chew holes in.
Its Sherpa side will keep your pet warm while also preventing saliva, drool, or urine from seeping through it.
PetAmi blanket is made for small to medium-sized dogs and you can use it both indoors and outdoors.
You can easily use it to cover crates, couches, sofas, car seats, bed covers, and kennels to prevent your pets from scratching or dirtying them.
PetAmi blanket is 100% waterproof, which makes it ideal for dogs with urine incontinence or urine leaks.
It is also easy to wash and you can do so in the washing machine.
What we like about it
- High gsm, microfiber polyester material that is resistant to chewing
- Easy to clean
- Versatile: use on beds, crate floors, in cars, etc.
- Plenty of color options
What we don’t like
- Sherpa side fabric tends to collect pet hairs which are difficult to remove.
- FOR SMALL MEDIUM DOGS - This blanket is the right size for small to medium dogs and will fit all cats. Perfect for your pet to lounge around and nap on your sofa; Great for indoor use but also suitable for outdoor use; Measures 30 x 40 inches.
- 100% WATERPROOF - Protects your furniture from spills, stains, and urine while keeping your pet cozy and comfortable. Internal waterproof lining provides defense and stops liquids from seeping through.
- WARM AND COMFORTABLE - Equipped with warm Sherpa lining on the other side. The blanket is reversible and made with plush fabric that will keep your pets warm and cozy while they sleep comfortably on your sofa or bed.
- VERSATILE USE - Can be used indoors on the sofa, bed, or floor, outdoors at the park or beach, or inside the car during a long road trip. Also ideal for pet carriers, kennels, and as a pet bed cover to prevent dirt, fur, and scratching.
- HIGH QUALITY CONSTRUCTION - Made with 460 GSM of 100% premium microfiber polyester, this blanket is soft, lightweight, yet durable. Machine washable, tumble dry low.
2) Waterproof Pet Blanket – Reversible Cream Throw Protects Couch, Car, Bed from Spills, Stains, or Fur – Dog and Cat Blankets by Petmaker (50x60)
PETMAKER blanket consists of 250 gsm of flannel.
One side is soft and plush while the other is the Sherpa layer which, combined together, easily resists teeth and claws.
It also has a waterproof resistance membrane backing it.
You can wash it in the washing machine without color-bleeding or losing its threads.
This throw is great for protecting chairs, couches, furniture, and your bed linen from your dog’s sharp teeth and claws.
The size of this blanket is 60 x 50 inches which is suitable for medium to large dogs.
What we like about it
- Most pet parents stated that this blanket was not easy for their pets to chew through
- Soft, plush, very comfortable, reversible.
- Machine washable
- Water proof
What we don’t like
- Blanket is slippery and doesn’t stay put on furniture and on dogs.
- WATERPROOF PET BLANKET – This blanket has coated flannel on one side that repels water, and the other side is lined with soft Sherpa fleece that will absorb liquids, effectively stopping anything from seeping through.
- REVERSIBLE – The dog blanket helps to protect your furniture and make your pet feel comfortable. With soft plush on one side and fuzzy Sherpa on the other, your dog, cat, or other pets will love to snuggle up on this warm and cozy throw blanket.
- VERSATILE – The pet blanket provides protection from stains, spills, and pet fur, and is also an attractive throw on your sofa, chairs, or bed. It’s ideal for protecting carriers, kennels, or seats in your car while you travel with your furry friend.
- MACHINE WASHABLE – This waterproof throw blanket is easy to clean and care for. Simply machine wash cold and tumble dry low.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – 100% Polyester 250GSM Flannel with a PU Water-Resistant Coating and 230GSM Sherpa Polyester Fleece with and embroidered paw. Dimensions: 60” x 50”. Color: Cream.
3) Max and Neo Waterproof Sherpa Fleece Dog Blanket - One Side Soft Sherpa Fleece, One Side Ripstop Waterproof Nylon - We Donate a Blanket to a Dog Rescue for Every Blanket Sold (Small, Black/Gray)
Polyester ripstop material makes Max and Neo heavy-duty crate blanket completely chew resistant even for larger breeds like German Shepherds.
Ripstop fabric, as its name indicates, stops rips and tears and prevents them from spreading.
This keeps this Sherpa fleece blanket chew-resistant even if you have an aggressive or chronic chewer.
Max and Neo fleece dog blanket features 350 gsm Sherpa Berber fleece which is tough to rip through, ultra-durable, and also keeps your pet warm and cozy.
The other side is waterproof and can catch urine leaks and drool.
This blanket is very easy to care for and maintain and is available in 2 sizes.
What we like about it
- Heavy-duty ripstop material
- Ideal for dogs with bladder issues.
- Versatile for various uses – car, standalone, or in crate, as well as cooling pad in summer.
- The company donates to animal shelters and rescue homes for every purchase made.
What we don’t like
- Some dogs didn’t like the water-resistant vinyl side.
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every dog blanket sold, we donate a dog blanket to a dog rescue. Dog rescues are in constant need of dog supplies. We donate 1 for 1 for every purchase. By purchasing one of our dog blankets, you receive an awesome dog blanket and you donate one to a rescue and help a dog have a nice place to rest and sleep!
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every month, we tally up the number of leashes, collars, blankets and toys sold. Based on the number, we determine how many rescues we can donate to for that month.
- WATERPROOF AND COMFORTABLE: One side of the blanket has soft thick warm 350 gsm sherpa fleece that will keep your dog warm and cozy. Should these ever be an accident on the blanket, there's no need to worry because the other side is 100% waterproof. No liquid will make it through to the other side. During the warmer months, your dog will love the nice, smooth and cool nylon side to rest on. The nylon side is made with a thick, quality diamond patterned ripstop material that will resist tearing.
- MANY USES AND 2 SIZES: Small (28"x48") and Large (50'x58") sizes. Our dog blanket is great for use as a dog bed liner, car seat cover, sofa cover or even as a general blanket for you and your dog.
- WHY A DOG BLANKET: Dog rescues usually run on a tight budget. A budget that is used for essentials, such as food, medical bills and supplies. As a result some comfort items such as a dog blanket is usually at the bottom of their priority list. We want to see all dogs happy and comfortable wherever they are and a warm and comfy blanket may be just what a dog needs!
Bone Dry dog blanket with bone print is made with 100% polyester microfiber.
This sturdy material combined with its refine stitching makes the blanket easily withstand sharp teeth and claws.
Many pet parents have even seen their dogs chewing on this blanket and yet, ‘not a single thread is frayed or out!’
It is also easy to wash and its soft plush comfort and cozy warmth makes it ideal for use on cold floors, inside crates, on couches, and on the bed.
It is also light enough to go on trips in the car.
Bone Dry blanket is available in various sizes and colors and suitable for dogs and cats of different sizes and breeds.
What we like about it
- Sturdy polyester material that resists claws and teeth with ease
- Easy to wash- no fuzzies or lint left behind post washing.
What we don’t like
- The bone print is only available on one side of the blanket, not both. Dogs won’t be complaining though!
- COZY BLANKET FOR SMALL, MEDIUM, AND LARGE CATS AND DOGS: Blanket measures 36x48", suitable for cats and dogs in different breeds and sizes
- MATERIAL AND CARE: 100% Polyester Microfiber with refine stitching for durable and long-lasting use. Machine Wadhable; Wash in Cold Water-Gentle cycle, Turble Dry Low
- COMFY AND PREVENT SCRATCHES FROM YOUR FURNITURE: Ultra-soft and plush blanket provides comfort for your pet and protection for your couch, carpet, car, bed, floor, or chair
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO CARRY: This blanket is great bedding for a pet kennel, crate, and cage, and can be stored in your car for on the go trips for your pet or at home.
- MORE BONE PET PRODUCT OPTIONS : Bone Dry offers various pet products including pet bed, pet towels, pet mats, pet bowls & blankets, and storage bin, but for more options search: Bone Dry Pet Blanket ed or click the Bone Dry link at the top of the page to explore our other collection.
5) furrybaby Premium Fluffy Fleece Dog Blanket, Soft and Warm Pet Throw for Dogs & Cats (Small (24*32"), Grey Blanket)
furrybaby fleece blanket is made with eco-friendly 100% Berber fleece material which remains bouncy and fluffy despite washing in the machine. You won’t find any loose threads or lint after washing.
It retains its plushness and can easily withstand chewing, scratching, and other forms of ‘abuse’ from pets.
Furrybaby fleece dog blanket is available in 5 different sizes and its neutral grey color can suit any décor.
You can easily use this versatile blanket to cover your furniture and protect it from dog saliva, urine leaks, and hair as well as scratching and chewing by young puppies.
What we like about it
- Durable – easily withstands chewing, scratching, clawing, etc.
- Washes well without losing its plush softness
- Versatile for various uses
- Available in many sizes
What we don’t like
- Size issues – medium sized blanket is smaller than advertised.
- SMALL SIZE: 60x80cm(24x32inch), perfect for small size dogs, puppies and cats, such as Chihuahua and Papillon, Pomeranian, Bichon, Teddy, Yorkshire terrier,etc.
- MATERIAL: Made of environment friendly thick soft comfy fleece
- WASHING: Machine washable and fine with tumble dry, never shed or fade
- USAGE: Protects furniture from scratching and pet hair, keep couch or bed from dirt
- SERVICE: Well-packed and timely shipped, any suggestions will be welcomed
Why Do Dogs Chew Blankets?
1. To Fulfill a Need
Young dogs chew on blankets when they are separated from their dam (mother) and not weaned properly.
Often, puppies that are teething also chew on things including your couch legs, slippers, etc.
Chewing soothes their irritated and painful gums.
Very young puppies chew on stuff to fulfill a need for love and attention.
If your young adult rescue dog chews blankets, then you could attribute it to separation anxiety or nervousness.
2. To Alleviate Boredom
Your dog has plenty of energy and is just waiting to expend it.
If you find your pet indulging in excess chewing or digging, then it may be silently screaming for some attention and activity time from you.
Your pet wants nothing more than to spend time with you and if you are keeping it locked in a crate all the time, then it would surely indulge in digging, chewing, and other destructive behaviors.
To prevent this, you must exercise and tire your pet out.
3. Due to Underlying Health Issues
Your dog could also chew up and tear blankets or bedding if it is experiencing pain.
Older dogs with arthritis and painful joints often try to dig and nest their blankets to prevent the crate’s floor from hurting their bones.
If your pet’s older bed or blanket has worn out and is not as cushioning as before, then you may want to find a plush and soft blanket that cushions and protects your pet’s bones from the cold floor or wire beneath.
Also Read: Best Chew Proof Dog Crate
How to Stop your Dog from Chewing its Blanket?
A) Teach him the ‘drop’ or ‘no’ command
Teach your dog to drop the blanket using the ‘No’ or ‘drop it’ command. You can use healthy treats for this purpose.
When your pet obeys, praise and treat him. Very soon, the blanket chewing will stop.
B) Chew-proof the Blanket
Apart from investing in the best chew proof dog blanket, and taking cognizance of the fact that no blanket is 100% chew-proof, you might want to use some sprays or chew deterrents to kick your pet’s chewing habit.
Bitter-apple sprays like Bodhi Dog New Bitter 2 in 1 No Chew & Hot Spot Spray can be used to prevent your pet from chewing the blanket.
C) Provide some Chewing Alternatives
Give your dog a bone if it persistently chews its blanket.
Provide plenty of chew toys so your dog knows what is and isn’t acceptable to chew.
Also Read: Are Milk Bones Bad for Dogs?
D) Exercise your Pet
Take your pet out every day for an hour or two of exercise (depends on the breed – so always check with your vet first how much exercise your pet needs daily).
A tired dog will never indulge in unnecessary chewing of blankets.
What Factors Should You Consider When Selecting the Best Chew Proof Dog Blanket?
No blanket is 100% chew-proof but the ones we have listed above are fairly durable and resistant to chewing.
Here are some features to consider when selecting the best chew proof dog blanket:
1. Purpose for Which You Use the Blanket
Consider the purpose for which you will be using the blanket as this factor will help you choose the blanket’s thickness, plushness, and size.
If you plan on using the blanket inside the crate floor, you need a thicker one.
If you just want a throw-style blanket for your furniture, then select a lighter-yet-durable chew-resistant blanket.
You could also select a lightweight cooling blanket for the summers or a plug-in electric blanket for cold winters.
For incontinent dogs or dogs that dribble, you need blankets with water-resistant or waterproof vinyl lining to catch the wet messes.
2. Your Pet’s Size/Crate Size
Select a blanket that meets your pet’s size or the crate’s size considerations.
It should be large enough to cover your pet completely and if necessary even wide enough to wrap it in completely.
If you plan on using it in the crate as a floor cover, it should be thick and cover the entire floor.
Also Read : Best Chew Proof Dog Crate Pad
3. Material and Durability
High-quality chew resistant blankets are made with durable and sturdy materials that can withstand heavy-duty chewing, scratching, and digging.
Fleece is a good option for keeping your pet warm.
You can find chew-resistant fleece blankets too. Some come with a waterproof rubber lining that can contain leaks and accidents.
These days, blankets made of microfiber polyester are also available. They are sturdy and chew resistant and also keep your pet warm and comfy.
You can also consider ripstop fabric which is made for the most aggressive and chronic chewers.
They stop and limit the tips and shreds to a small area.
Look for blankets with higher GSM rating. GSM stands for grams per square meter.
The higher the GSM, the thicker, warmer, and also sturdier and more durable the blanket would be.
4. Ease of Cleaning
Consider a chew-resistant blanket that you can toss in the washing machine for easy cleaning.
It should not shed its fleece or microfibers nor should it bleed colors during wash.
The blanket your pet uses will always have dirt, saliva, pet hair, and even urine leaks in case of older dogs.
So, the ease of washing and cleaning is important.
5. Looks and Style
These features may not be important to your pet but can be quite important to you.
Select a color for the blanket that suits your home’s décor or color-coordinate it with your pet’s crate’s color.
How to Take Care of & Maintain A Dog Blanket?
A) Shake it out
Give the blanket a good shake. This will remove loose hairs, debris, and dirt.
You can also dust out the blanket by beating it gently.
Next, use a lint roller over the blanket.
This will help capture stray pet hair and prevent clogging of your machine’s filter.
Lint rollers are especially useful during the shedding season when lot of fur sticks to fleece lined blankets.
B) Use vinegar
Add half a cup of vinegar to a bucket of water. Soak the blanket in it for 30 minutes.
Rinse clean with plenty of warm water. Dry the blanket in a dryer with some dryer sheets.
Alternatively, you can hang it out to dry in the shade.
C) For heavy soiling
In case of heavily soiled blankets, use hydrogen peroxide or mild detergent to wash the blanket.
You can opt for woolen washing solutions in case the blanket is made of delicate fleece material.
Use the gentlest washing cycle to prevent damage. Please read care-instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Also Read: Benefits of Elevated Dog Bowls.
The best chew proof dog blanket can withstand heavy-duty chewing, scratching, and biting. It is made with fleece and lined with rubber that is thick and rip-resistant.
We recommend the PetAmi Pet Blanket for its 460 gsm polyester microfiber count that easily deters chewers and withstands sharp nails, teeth, and claws.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.