The best chew proof dog crate is made of sturdy metal, is escape-proof, and truly heavy-duty.
It ideally comes with solid-yet-well-ventilated tubular metal walls or wire construction that can contain your canine escape-artist or chronic chewers with ease.
We have 5 such crates for you to choose from.
These crates have all stood up to tough chewing action and are completely safe, truly well-built, and pet parents and pet-approved.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best chew proof dog crate:
- New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
- SmithBuilt Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- PetGroomingTable Heavy-Duty Dog Kennel Play Pen
- SMONTER Strong Metal Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Stackable 49-inch Heavy Duty open Top Stackable Dog Crate
Best Chew Proof Dog Crate – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: MidWest Homes for Pets Newly Enhanced Single & Double Door New World Dog Crate, Includes Leak-Proof Pan, Floor Protecting Feet, & New Patented Features
New World metal crate is made with sturdy wires and has dependable latches that are strong, destruction-proof, and inaccessible to pets from the inside.
Hundreds of pet parents are happy with this crate that their chronic chewers could not escape through.
The space between the wires is optimal – so it prevents your pet from gripping it with its jaws.
At the same time, it allows adequate ventilation and visibility so your dog can breathe easily and see you from inside the crate.
New World Folding metal cage is easy to store and transport as it folds down to a compact size.
There is a removable pan at the bottom to clean leaks and accidents with ease.
What we like about it
- Sturdy, chew-proof, dependable latches, and strongly welded wire construction.
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Foldable for transport and easy storage
What we don’t like
- Doors make noise when opening and latching. Some users solved this issue by adding duct tapes in the squeaky parts.
- Newly enhanced with added security features to keep your pet safe | Slide-bolt door latches now feature patented Paw Block and locking tips to create a safer, more secure home for your pet
- New World single door dog crate measures 42L x 28W x 31H inches and is suitable for large dog breeds with an adult weight of 70-90 pounds. If your dog’s weight or measurements are on the higher side for this crate, we recommend buying the next crate size up
- Updated locking system, floor protecting roller feet and durable leak-proof plastic pan included. Customer support team based in Indiana
- Easy to assemble & portable | Dog crate sets up in seconds with no tools required and conveniently folds flat for travel
- Durable & strong, quality construction creates a secure place for your dog to fulfill their natural instinct to den. Proper ventilation, large door openings with low thresholds, and rounded corner clips make New World a safer crate experience for your dog
2. SmithBuilt 48" Extra Large Heavy-Duty Dog Crate Cage - XL Two-Door Indoor Outdoor Pet & Animal Kennel with Tray - Black
SmithBuilt heavy-duty crate is made out of the same high-quality materials that you find in commercial constructions.
That is one of the main reasons why it is chew-proof.
SmithBuilt crates are built to last because of their 3/4th inch-frame reinforced with 20-gauge welded steel tubes that render the crate strong from top to bottom.
Each crate also comes with a multi-layer, protective hammer-tone coating which resists corrosion, rusting, and sharp teeth as well.
There are two doors for entry – top and front. Each one has secure latches that pets cannot access from inside.
What we like about it
- Commercial-grade construction material- indestructible, built-to-last
- Two doors for convenient entry
- Protective coating that resists rusting, corrosion, fading, and chewing as well.
- Escape-proof latches
- Lockable caster wheels for portability
What we don’t like
- Wheels are made of flimsy plastic.
- Premium-grade construction: Commercial-quality steel construction provides a heavy-duty, solid framed pet crate expertly crafted and designed to keep pets safe and comfortable. Built-to-last, animal cage features a 3/4" frame reinforced with 1/2" diameter (20 gauge) welded steel tubes for top to bottom strength and durability.
- Convenient two-door design: Great for puppies, growing pets, and energetic breeds; this kennel features both top and side door access. The front door locks with two slide-bolt latches, and the crate top with one.
- Rolling with locking wheels: Includes four rolling casters for easy transfer from room to room. Two wheels have locks to prevent accidental movement and keep your cage securely in place.
- Rust & corrosion-resistant: Featuring a multi-layer, protective hammer-tone coating that resists rust, corrosion, and fading, this cage is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Removable pan for easy cleaning: Tray is stain and rust resistant and won't retain pet odors. Grated design allows for any soiling to drop to the lower pan to maintain a clean environment for pets. Bottom pan features an integrated lip around the perimeter to contain any mess from spilling outside the kennel. Both trays are held securely in place by a retaining latch to prevent slipping, but can easily slide out from the bottom for easy and convenient cleaning.
3. petgroomingtable Heavy Duty Dog Crate Cage Kennel Playpen Large Strong Metal for Large Dogs Cats with Two Prevent Escape Lock and Four Lockable Wheels (45'' roof)
PetGroomingTable playpen is made with sturdy, rust-proof, and heavy duty metal that is hard to inflict damage upon even by the largest, most muscular, and aggressive chewers.
Each crate comes with 2 latches which your pet cannot access from the inside.
Compared to other pens and crates, PetGroomingTable playpen features an ultra-durable multi-layer finish which is rust, corrosion, fade, and chew-resistant.
You will love the fact that the holes in the crate’s walls are closely spaced together so your dog cannot put its jaw in between to grip or chew them. This is very important for your pet’s safety.
Also, the pen’s bottom has sturdy pan which will not injure your pet’s paws nor will it be able to chew through it.
Being easily removable due to slide-out feature, you can clean and wash it as well.
What we like about it
- Heavy-duty, rust and corrosion resistant metal tube construction
- Secure latches and bottom that cannot be chewed through
- Portable with locking casters
What we don’t like
- No assembly instructions provided.
- 🐶Sturdy & durable frame：Use 20-gauge steel and reinforced 0.5” diameter steel tubes. Much stronger than plastic or fine wire cages. The perfect way to prevent these destructive dogs which with separation anxiety.
- 🐶Easy to assemble: Most of the parts were pre-assembled, fit it with four wheels and ten screw bolts, only takes within 10 minutes to complete.
- 🐶Anti-escape locks & double-access doors: Double upgrade bolt locks design for anxiety dog, keep dog in contain, avoid damage or injury. The double door design is not only convenient for dog in and out but also good for you to interact with your dog.
- 🐶Easy to clean: The mesh tray allows dog food or excrement to fall off, metal tray helps you to catch the fallen dog food and excrement. Removable design makes cleaning more convenient.
- 🐶Healthy & safe: Environmental friendly coating for rust and corrosion-resistant and never affect your dog’s health, the mesh tray with dense grate keep your dog stand stable, and won’t get stuck by void.
SMONTER heavy-duty crate is made for those dogs that like to escape all the time.
This crate will prevent that. All its features are made for those large and aggressive chewers that can escape flimsy crates in minutes.
SMONTER crate features heavy-duty steel construction.
The metal frame is coated with multi-layer hammer tone finish which resists corrosion, rusting, fading, chewing, scratching, and other forms of wear and tear.
All reinforced steel bars are welded to form an indestructible and escape-proof cage for dogs.
What we like about it
- Rugged, heavy duty crate made for aggressive chewers and escapers
- Non-toxic coating to prevent rusting.
- Lockable wheels for portability
- Easy to assemble, easy to clean with removable bottom pan
What we don’t like
- The door latches could be sturdier.
- Non-toxic:Our strong dog kennel is the metal frame of treated with a multi-layer hammer-tone coating that helps the crate stand up to rust, corrosion, scuffs and scratches, perfect for indoor and outdoor use.Safe and non-hazardous dog cages protect your pet's health, so you don't have to worry when it chews and licks.
- Rugged :Our heavy duty dog crates Made out of reinforced steel and having all parts welded which means our heavy duty dog cage can prevent even the most aggressive canines from escaping. Sturdy metal frame provides optimal ventilation and visibility which offer your dog a comfortable and reliable environment.Suitable for most medium and large dogs,two PATENT locks with the safety buckles to prevent the dogs from opening the door and escaping.
- EASY TO CLEAN & MOVE:Our heavy duty dog crate is shipped partially assembled, just need to open it and fixed with screws, then fitted with four wheels, other locks have been pre-loaded.Usually people can finish installation within ten minutes.Removable (slide-out) plastic tray helps you to catch the fallen dog food and excrement,and allows you to wipe and clean easily.
- A door and locking caster design: the front door is suitable for pets in and out. You can attach a 360-degree rotating caster to the bottom of the cage to easily roll the cage to another position or leave the caster away for added stability.
- Size and Aftersales service:OVERALL DIMENSIONS:42“L X 31”W X 37“H; If you buy a dog crates with any quality and bite problems within 3 years, please let us know by email, we will solve it in the first time!
5. Homey Pet-49 Extra Large Heavy Duty Metal Dog Cage w/ Plastic Floor Grid, Casters, Pull Out Tray and Feeding Door: L 49" x W 37" x H44
Homey Pet crates are made with sturdy stainless steel and powder coated with a non-toxic hammer spray to prevent rusting and damage inflicted by sharp teeth.
The floor of the crate is thick and sturdy and lays flat so dogs cannot chew through it.
HomeyPet crates are stackable in design which is convenient for rescue shelters or pet parents having multiple pets. This saves space in smaller houses.
HomePet crates are also equipped with small feeding doors for conveniently feeding dogs that like to escape.
These are large, spacious crates with adequate ventilation for your pet to breathe in comfortably and roam about easily.
What we like about it
- Sturdy metal construction, non-toxic hammer coating
- Thick sturdy plastic floor grid for easy cleaning
- Heavy duty wheel casters for portability
- Small feeding door for convenience.
What we don’t like
- Instructions for assembly are confusing.
- Size: L 49" x W 37" x H44", Interior height: 37", Bar spacing: 1.44". Fits for dogs up to 150 lbs
- Feeding door renders convenience for feeding. Pull out tray available for easy cleaning
- Lockable heavy duty casters provide more convenience to move the cage. Double chain lock and all metal design ensure great quality and provide best protection to your pet.
- Plastic floor grid with small holes provide more comfortable environment and better protection on pets' feet.
- Nontoxic finished surface keep your dog/animal health and render excellent anti-rust ability
What are the Dangers of Dogs Chewing Crates?
There are many dangers and risks your pet puts itself to when it chews its crate:
A. It can cause tooth damage
Small puppies could easily damage their teeth by chewing on plastic or hard-wire crates.
Many pets have required dental procedures to undo the damage done by chewing on the toxic materials used in making crates.
Also Read: Best Chew Proof Dog Crate Pad
B. It can lead to bloody gums and saliva
If you have a dog that spends a lot of time chewing through its crate, you might notice red, brown spots on the gums and teeth and also blood in their saliva.
Over time, this infection could spread to healthy parts of the teeth causing severe complications.
C. It Can cause foul odor
If your pet has indulged in chewing metal or wooden crate parts, then it could develop a foul odor which can indicate infection.
D. It is known to cause facial swelling
Some dogs that tried escaping through and chewing through toxic plastic wires ended up getting swelling on their faces.
That is why, it is important that you look out for sturdy, non-toxic indestructible and escape-proof crates.
Please see your vet right away and start appropriate treatment to prevent more serious complications.
What is an Escape Proof and Chew Proof Dog Crate?
The best chew proof dog crate is made for the most aggressive of chewers.
If your dog has escaped or chewed through earlier crates, then you definitely need to look for an indestructible dog crate.
Typically, an escape proof and chew proof dog crate would have the following characteristics:
It is made of sturdy materials. Unlike crates that can be easily chewed through, chew-proof dog crates are made with solid metal, tubular steel pipes, sturdy wood, or other materials which are impervious to sharp nails and teeth.
It has bars closely-spaced together. Ideally, the best escape and chew proof dog crates also have bars closely spaced together.
The welding used in connecting these bars is sturdy and without any weak spots that pets can access.
It has sturdy latches that are not easy to access from the inside. Dogs cannot paw them from the inside or open them to escape.
Also Read: Best Chew Proof Dog Blanket
How do Dogs Escape through Dog Crates?
Dogs are very smart and intelligent creatures. They can use a variety of methods to escape from flimsy crates:
A) They find out weak spots on the crate
Your smart Houdini can easily find connectors and weak spots in the crate’s bars and welding.
Once this is done, your pet can easily chew through the connectors and mangle it until there is a wide-enough opening for it to come out.
B) They can pry open the latch of the crate
Your pet can use its sharp teeth to easily bite around the latch area.
Once there is a wide-enough margin, it can use its paws to open the crate from the inside.
C) They can use brute force
Large muscular dog breeds like German Shepherds, St. Bernard’s, and Huskies can easily escape from flimsy crates by using brute force.
They might initially use their sharp teeth and claws on the weaker parts and then simply use their muscle power and strength to force open the crate.
Remember: your pet has plenty of time, energy, patience, and strength to use a combination of these methods to chew through and escape from the crate.
What Features Should You Look for in the Best Chew Proof Dog Crate?
1. Heavy-duty construction grade material (stainless steel)
Select a construction-grade stainless-steel crate or crates with metal tubing construction. Avoid plastic crates that can be easily chewed through.
Look for crates that are advertised as ‘heavy-duty’.
Not all crates marked as such will be chew-proof but most would be substantially better than the ones that are not heavy duty at all.
2. Closely spaced bars yet well-ventilated
Look for crates that have closed construction with steel tubing and sturdy welding.
This will allow plenty of fresh air inside and yet prevent your pet from gripping the metal with its jaws.
Remember: ventilation is important. You do not want your pet to suffer inside the crate.
Poor ventilation inside the crate can cause suffocation, mold, bacterial accumulation, etc.
3. Inaccessible latches
Ideally your crate should have very sturdy latches that cannot be opened or accessed from the inside.
Simple barrel locks are easy to manipulate and smart dogs can do so from the inside.
Instead, look for crates with slam latches that close once the crate door is closed.
4. Meets your pet’s size/breed requirements
Naturally, the size of the crate is the most important feature to consider.
Do not buy too large a crate as your dog might end up using the other end as potty area.
This might negate your house training efforts if that is what you have brought the crate for.
The crate should be appropriately sized but also account for growing puppies.
Measure your dog carefully for its height and width and add 2 inches to both the dimensions.
You can find more information on how to select a dog crate in this link provided.
How to Prevent Your Dog from Chewing its Crate?
A. Provide plenty of chew toys
When your dog has an array of chewable toys or milk-bones, then the chances of it turning to crate-chewing will diminish greatly.
B. Exercise your pet
Provide your dog with plenty of exercise – both physical and mental. This can be in the form of walks, daily training sessions, and also placing some puzzles, obstacle courses etc.
A tried dog will be less likely to turn to destructive behavior such as crate chewing.
C. Use chew deterrent sprays
Chew deterrent sprays have a bitter taste and when you spray them over the crate, your dog will naturally be repelled from chewing it.
We recommend the Pets Are Kids Too Store’s Anti Chew Dog Training Spray .
D. Invest in the best chew proof dog crate
The best chew proof dog crate products listed above are all extremely sturdy. The materials used in their construction are durable and chew-resistant.
Their design is also such that there are no welding weak spots or easy-to-grip gaps that your dog can easily chew through.
The best chew proof dog crate is virtually indestructible, made with heavy-duty metal construction, has inaccessible latches, and comes with superior welding.
We recommend the New World Foldable Metal Dog Crate which is sturdy, chew-proof, has dependable latches, and a strongly welded wire construction. It is also easy to assemble and clean, well-ventilated, and foldable for ease of transport and storage.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.