The best dog bed for Chihuahua is calming for your pet and also warm and comfortable.
It should be the right size based on your Chihuahua breed and ideally allow your pet to stretch fully.
You can also have Chihuahua beds for calming anxiety as well as dog beds that offer orthopedic support.
Based on these different criteria, we have 5 top-rated Chihuahua dog beds for you.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best dog bed for Chihuahua:
- Our Editor’s Pick: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed
- Best Budget: MidWest Bolster Pet Bed
- Best Overall: Amazon Basics Round Bolster Dog Bed with Flannel Top
- Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: Furhaven Pet Orthopedic Foam Mattress Dog Bed
- Best Convertible Bed: Furhaven Pet - ThermaNAP Self-Warming Quilted Blanket Mat
Best Dog Bed for Chihuahua – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed
This small-sized dog bed from Best Friends by Sheri measures 23 x 23 inches with a height of about 9-inches. It is shaped like a donut to provide utmost comfort to your small and petite Chihuahua weighing up to 15 lb.
Its super-soft shag fur will remind your furbaby of its mother’s warmth and love.
Your pet can burrow and dig into this bed without damaging it and its deeply creviced walls encourage this behavior too.
Moreover, the bed is filled with hypoallergenic AirLoft fibers that won’t aggravate your sensitive pet’s allergies.
Its outer shell is removable –so you can wash it in the machine without worrying about lint or fading.
The unique AirLoft fibers are 3 times more durable than other fillings used in dog beds. Furthermore, the bed is stitched with strong reinforced finish which your Chi cannot chew up or tear.
We also love the fact that the bed is completely free from toxins, carcinogens, formaldehyde, and mercury, lead, and other heavy metals. It also uses responsibly sourced materials.
In short, this is the ideal bed for your small Chihuahua as it takes into account the unique requirements and behaviors of the breed.
What we like about it
- Hypoallergenic, supports sleep, gives a sense of security to small dogs like Chihuahuas
- Easy to maintain, and can be machine washed
- Head and neck support for senior dogs having joint issues.
- Has a water-proof bottom to contain messes and accidents.
- Ideal for diggers
What we don’t like
- The padding in the middle flattens out after a while.
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat. Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health. The uniquely designed CoziLOFT fibers keep their loft for up to 3Xs longer than standard pet beds.
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor. Finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, accidental messes will be prevented from reaching your floors. Removable shells available on size M-2XL beds are machine washable. The entirety of the small-sized bed is machine washable. (Do not leave bed to air dry, as this may lead to tangling and matting of the faux fur).
- PET-SAFE MATERIALS: Tested through Consumer Product Safety Commission certified labs to ensure safety for you and your pets. Free from: flame retardants, formaldehyde, skin irritating chemicals, harsh dyes.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Designed and shipped from Los Angeles, CA, our local customer service is only a phone call or email away to address any concerns and questions to ensure you and your pets are happy with your purchase.
2. Best Budget: MidWest Bolster Pet Bed
This tiny dog bed from Midwest Homes for Pets Store is made for adult small breed dogs measuring 16-inch wide and 12-inch at withers (shoulder height).
It measures 18 x 12 x 2 inches and can fit inside 18-inch standard crates.
Additionally, this rectangular bed is made with super-soft synthetic fur and a polyester bolster cushion raised padding that your pet can use to rest its head and neck upon. It is also chew-resistant, foldable, and great for travels.
MidWest Bolster Bed is also 100% machine washable.
No wonder pets and their parents love this great bed so much!
What we like about it
- Durable, comfortable, soft, and chew proof
- Foldable bed with ultra-soft faux fur, great for travel and to place inside crates
- Ideal for dogs that indulge in digging and burrowing
What we don’t like
- Faux fur material tends to shed a bid.
- Pet bed fits 18-inch long dog crates & works great as a stand-alone pet bed | Pet bed is ideal for "Tiny" dog breeds weighing up to 6 pounds | Pet bed is not ideal for excessive chewers
- Turn your dog's crate into their forever home | Use pet bed in conjunction with their dog crate to entice your pet to use their crate
- Pet bed features ultra-soft synthetic fur & comfortable padded polyester bolster cushion around the perimeter for dogs to lay their head on.Tumble dry in dryer
- Ideal pet bed for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers, cat carriers & dog houses | This specific size fits a MidWest 18-inch iCrate dog crate
3. Best Overall: Amazon Basics Round Bolster Dog Bed with Flannel Top
Amazon Basics Round Bolster bed is available in 20 x 20 x 6 inches with an inner diameter of 13-inches. This size is perfect for your small Chi weighing up to 12 lb.
Its polyester canvas bottom helps contain messes and accidents with ease while its plush flannel surface is ideal for your pet to snuggle into.
The bed’s raised edges also offer a great pillow-like surface for your pet to rest its head and neck on. In addition, you can lift out the central pillow to add a heating pad for your senior pet.
Of course, the bed is machine washable and easy to clean too so you won’t have to deal with cleaning hassles.
What we like about it
- Soft and comfortable
- Easy to clean
What we don’t like
- Only available in one color.
- Round pet bed offers a safe, cozy place for a cat or small dog to snooze
- Plush flannel top surface for supreme softness; polyester canvas sides and bottom for strength
- Curved, slightly raised edge for added structure and a pillow-like surface
- Machine washable for easy cleaning. Wash in cool water with mild detergent; do not use bleach; line dry do not tumble dry; reshape if needed
- Measures 20 by 20 by 6 inches; weighs 1.1 pounds
4. Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: Furhaven Pet Orthopedic Foam Mattress Dog Bed
Furhaven Pet plush orthopedic dog bed measuring 18 x 3 inches is made especially for small pets like Chihuahuas weighing up to 15 lb.
Your pet will love the soft hood for snuggling and burrowing under – it can use the hood as a cave or a blanket! Indeed, this is the ideal bed for your little digger.
In addition, the hood traps in your pet’s body warmth for extra coziness and comfort.
An orthopedic egg-crate support foam inside the bed gives your pet’s joints much-needed relief from pain and faux lambs’ wool surface will keep your pet cozy and warm for a great night’s sleep!
Furthermore, the fact that the medical-grade foam is USA made ensures that there is no formaldehyde used in its making.
Furhaven Pet orthopedic bed is also easy to clean and comes with a removable cover that can be tossed in the washing machine.
What we like about it
- Ideal for small or teacup breeds with joint issues
- Great for burrowing dogs
- High-quality and easy care materials
What we don’t like
- Cover does not stay up, dogs need to figure out how to get inside on their own.
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The pet bed comes with an attached blanket hood that can be used as is or converted into a tented burrowing cave with the included plastic tubing; either configuration provides a cozy and insulating nestling space for dogs and cats
- FOR SMALL BREEDS: This pet bed is recommended for small cats, as well as toy, pocket, teacup, and other miniature dog breeds
- SLEEP SURFACE: The interior sleep surface is lined with cozy, insulating sherpa, while the exterior features easy-care suede; both materials are gentle on noses and paws for enhanced snuggling and burrowing comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam base helps distribute body weight, cushion pressure points, and improve air circulation to help ease discomfort and encourage restful sleep
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Pink; 18" Base, 18" x 18" x 3"
5. Best Convertible Bed: Furhaven Pet - ThermaNAP Self-Warming Quilted Blanket Mat
FURHAVEN measures 15 x 13 x 5 inches and is ideal for tiny dogs weighing up to 15 lb.
There are three main reasons why most dogs love this cute convertible bed:
First, it is covered with a plush faux fur that is so soft – it is irresistible for any pet!
Second, it is self-warming which means your pet is going to be cozy and warm no matter how freezing it is outside.
Third, you and your pet can convert it into a canoe, a nest, a small couch or simply flatten it on the ground to use as a sleeping pad. In all cases, your Chi is going to be very comfortable.
What we like about it
- Small pet friendly and ideal for diggers and burrowers
- Very soft
- Completely machine washable.
What we don’t like
- Backing makes a crinkling sound that could scare young pets.
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The thermal cuddler features a button-and-loop system that allows for innovative customization; the cuddler can be converted into a 'nest,' 'canoe,' 'couch,' or 'mat' to best suit your pet's sleeping style
- SELF-WARMING: The cuddler is a safe, electricity-free solution to keeping pets warm and toasty; it's equipped with a layer of mylar material that reflects body heat to create a warm sleep surface for dogs and cats to curl up in cozy comfort
- SLEEP SURFACE: The main sleep surface is lined with cuddly soft, ultra plush long faux fur that is gentle on noses and paws for enhanced snuggling comfort
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Spruce; Small, 23.5" x 20" x 0.5" (Flat) - Dimension will vary based on configuration
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Spruce, Silver, Gray, and Rainbow; it's also available in Small and Large
How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for Chihuahua
There are many different styles of dog beds available for your Chihuahua.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting the best dog bed for Chihuahua pets:
It is important to get the right size of bed for your dog.
You can choose a circular bed or a rectangular one but either ways, it should be spacious enough for your pet to stretch itself fully.
At the same time, the bed should not be too large that your pet does not feel a sense of coziness and security in it.
Ideal size of beds, circular or rectangular, for Chihuahuas weighing up to 12 lbs. is 20 x 20 x 7/8 inches. This size is perfect for your pet to stretch comfortable, sleep on its back, or sideways.
Different Chis need different shapes of beds.
If your pet likes to curl up, then you can get an oval or a round or donut shaped bed.
For burrowers, you can select a bed with a top hood or covering blanket under which your Chi can burrow and use it as a cave.
In case your pet likes to sprawl around while sleeping, then a rectangular shaped bed is the best.
In all of the cases, it is good to get a bolster bed or a bed with raised edges which your pet can use as pillow to rest its head and neck upon.
3. Type of filling and support
Not many pet parents think about this factor when they choose their Chi’s bed.
However, it is an important one as it decides the kind of support your pet will get.
To choose the bed with the right filling, consider your Chi’s special needs.
If yours is an older pet or a dog with joint issues (arthritis, hip dysplasia etc.), then select a bedding with egg-carton memory or high-density orthopedic foam.
These beds support your pet’s joints and also keep them warm to reduce pain. Your pet will be so fresh and well-rested in the morning!
Many pets experience reduced limps just by sleeping on orthopedic dog beds.
Likewise, if your Chi experiences anxiety, is always barking or chewing itself, or pees when you leave it home alone, then go in for plush, lamb’s wool or faux fur cover over cotton or foam filling.
You can also go for beds with covers or hooded support to create a den/cave-like atmosphere. This can foster a sense of security, protection, and comfort for your anxious or fearful pet.
These allow your pet to feel more secure and can reduce anxiety to a great extent.
4. Easy to clean
The best dog bed for Chihuahua should be easy to clean.
Look for beds with removable covers or beds that you can easily hand-wash or toss completely inside a washing machine to deep clean once in a while.
The materials should not shed when you wash it and the colors should not bleed or fade.
Additionally, the bed should have a superior water-proof lining at the bottom to contain messes.
5. Durable and free from toxins
Finally, select a dog bed that is made with high-quality, hypoallergenic, durable materials that are free from heavy metals like lead, mercury, formaldehyde, and other toxins and carcinogens.
This way, you know your pet is getting nothing but the best!
Also Read: Best Dog Beds for Yorkies
Why Do Chihuahuas Like to Burrow and Dig?
Chis love to dig and burrow their beds for the following reasons:
A. Hunting dogs
Chis were originally bred to hunt small prey.
Historically, they were skilled hunter dogs that could easily sniff out and trap small animals that live in burrows: squirrels, rats, mice, rodents, etc.
This instinct is still present in your Chi.
That is why, you must not be too surprised to see your pet dig and burrow in its bed, in your yard, in wet mud, etc.
B. For warmth
Just like humans, your Chihuahua also loves warmth and coziness in its bed.
By digging and burrowing its sleeping area, it wants to create a cave-like structure where it can feel an enhanced sense of security.
Digging also helps them create a protective and warm environment in their bed.
C. To hide their treats and food
Some Chis love to dig and burrow their beds to hide their treats and food.
This may be an indication that you do not treat your Chi as much as it should or the behavior could stem from competition for food from other household pets.
Also Read: Best Treats for Chihuahuas.
D. Underlying health issues
If your Chihuahua digs or burrows sporadically and obsessively, then you must have it examined by your vet.
Sometimes, an underlying health issue, food intolerance or fear, sensitivity, anxiety, and other issues can also trigger burrowing.
FAQs on Best Dog Bed for Chihuahua
1. What Is the Ideal Size of a Chihuahua Bed?
Chihuahuas are small dogs weighing up to 15 lbs. The largest among the breed measures about 12 inches in length.
Therefore, you can select a Small sized bed measuring about 20 x 20 x 8 inches.
2. Should Chihuahuas Sleep With You?
Yes. You can let your Chi sleep with you.
It fosters bonding and is an indication that your pet thinks of you as its pack member.
However, do be careful of allergies.
You must also take care not to roll over on your small pet in your sleep as you could accidentally hurt it.
3. Why Do Chihuahuas Sleep Between Your Legs?
Chis love to sleep between their owners’ legs!
This is very normal and it is an indication that your pet depends on you and trusts you to protect it.
Your Chihuahua also sleeps on or between your legs because it finds a sense of security, comfort, protection and warmth in that area!
4. Why Do Chihuahuas Like to Be Under the Covers?
Chihuahuas like to be under the covers for the same reasons that they like to burrow, dig into their bed, or sleep in between your legs : for warmth, protection, security, and comfort.
You can encourage the behavior as it is very healthy. It can also ensure a good night’s rest for your pet. And a well-rested pet also means better behavior!
The best dog bed for Chihuahua is warm, comfortable, and supportive. It can help foster a sense of security, protection, and coziness – all of which your little Chi craves.
We recommend the Best Friends by Sheri Donut Dog Bed as it three times more durable than standard dog beds, free from toxins, extremely calming, and comfortable as well.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.