The best toys for Chihuahua can keep your pet entertained and mentally stimulated for hours.
Chihuahuas are smart dogs and they need mental and physical stimulation. Without proper stimuli, they can get bored, anxious, and even fearful.
With good toys for Chihuahua you can keep your pet from excessive barking, paw licking, furniture chewing etc.
Likewise, you’d need the best teething toys for Chihuahua puppies to reduce gum irritation and satisfy that natural chewing instinct.
Based on these requirements, we have some amazing Chihuahua toys and accessories. Your pet will love these toys for sure!
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best toys for Chihuahua:
- Our Editor’s Pick: Best Durable Chew Toy From MIDOG
- Best Busy Toy: PetSafe Busy Buddy Bristle Bone Chew Toy for Dogs
- Best Value Bundle Pack Chihuahua Toys: Legend Sandy Store Assorted Toys for Adult Dogs and Puppies
- Best Teething Chew Toys: Nylabone Just for Puppies Extra Small Pacifier Bone
- Best Squeaky Toy: Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy
Best Toys for Chihuahua – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Best Durable Chew Toy From MIDOG
Chihuahuas love to chew and MIDOG toy is just the right size for their small jaws. It measures 2.1 x 4.1 inches which is perfect for your pet to grip.
Since it is made from natural rubber and non-toxic materials, it is completely safe for your pet. It is also durable and lasts for a long time.
In addition to having a cute shape, your pet will love this squeaky toy’s fruity flavor too.
Additionally, you can fill it up with treats for your Chi to search. This can alleviate boredom and give your pet hours of fun.
Midog toy’s slightly rough texture can remove plaque and tartar buildup to freshen up your pet’s breath.
You can even engage your pet both mentally and physically by throwing the toy in the yard for a great game of fetch!
What we like about it
- Small size perfect for small jaws to grip
- Food grade and non-toxic
- Fruity flavor
- Durable and long lasting
- Interactive and can be filled with treats
- Texture helps remove plaque
What we don’t like
- The top green part is too soft and aggressive chewers can easily tear it
- The scratching/squeaking sound could be annoying for some humans.
- ★Durable Dog Toys for Small Dogs: Puppy toys are made from extremely durable bite-resistant natural rubber to withstand even the most aggressive of chewers. Indestructible puppy chew toys are great for Chihuahua Pomeranian Corgi and Poodles,etc.
- ★Cute Pineapple Dog Toys for Boredom: Unique fruit shape with hollow seductive pineapple flavor and real texture surface, can attract puppies to chew and play. It also can be a funny toy for dogs to play by themselves if you’d like to put snacks inside and make squeaky sounds to attract them, great dog toy for boredom.
- ★Freshen Breath and Reduce Tartar: This dog dental toy is for puppy teething. Puppy chew toy is designed to help clean dog’s teeth to freshen breath, stimulate gums and reduce tartar and plaque buildup as your dog plays and chews away.
- ★Have Fun with Your Furry Friend: Our interactive dog toy can train dogs jumping, reaction ability. You can also use this pet toy to interact with dogs and play throw and fetch game, enjoy healthy fun together and help them improve their intelligence during interactions.
- ★Lifetime Replacement Guarantee: If you have any issues about our tough pineapple dog toys, please contact us in time, we will provide refund or free replacement after-sales service for our dear customers.
2. Best Busy Toy: PetSafe Busy Buddy Bristle Bone Chew Toy for Dogs
PetSafe Busy Buddy Bone Chew is especially made for dogs weighing less than 10 lb – perfect for your small Chi.
It consists of a bone with four rawhide rings included in it so your pet gets to actually enjoy some delicious treats as it chews.
If needed, you can also purchase extra rawhide treats (or use your own homemade treats or other brand treats) to add on to the toy once your pet finishes them.
Worry not: the rawhide is grain-free so it is suitable for your sensitive Chi as well.
Even if your pet is an aggressive chewer, this bone can withstand its sharp jaws and teeth. This is a very strong and durable chew toy that is tasty as well!
In addition to being tasty, PetSafe Bristle Bone with its nubs and nylon bristles, helps remove plaque and tartar from your pet’s teeth. Thus, it prevents boredom while also enhancing your Chi’s oral health.
You will also love the fact that PetSafe Busy Buddy Bristle Bone can be washed in the dishwasher.
What we like about it
- Extra small for toy and small breed dogs.
- Cleans, is delicious, and also alleviates boredom
- Extra treats available if needed. You can also use your own treats.
- Durable enough for strong chewers
- Dishwasher safe
What we don’t like
- Caused oral injuries in a few delicate dogs. Always monitor your pets while they use this (and other toys).
- Age Range Description: All Ages
- Included Components: Premier Busy Buddy Bristle Bone (X-Small)
3. Best Value Bundle Pack Chihuahua Toys: Legend Sandy Store Assorted Toys for Adult Dogs and Puppies
Why settle for one when you can get many?
This bundle pack of toys from Legend Sandy Store will completely alleviate boredom in your Chihuahua.
It consists of rope toys, interactive toys for fetching for adult dogs, as well as ring and teething toys for chewing for puppies and younger Chis.
Legend Sandy Store toys are all made from food-grade materials and tough rubber that can last for a long time despite being chewed by sharp teeth.
Besides alleviating boredom, the toys’ textured surface also clears away plaque and tartar.
Furthermore, all these teething toys for puppies are all made of an appropriate size for your small Chi to grip properly.
The pack also contains rope toys to satisfy your pet’s chewing instinct and are made with 100% cotton.
Your younger Chi will love playing with the squeaky toys that can keep him mentally and physically stimulated.
Finally, an interactive Frisbee lets you take the fun outdoors where you can deepen your bond with your beloved pet over a game of fetch.
What we like about it
- Plenty of variety for young and adult Chis: includes toys for pulling, teething, self-play, interactive play, etc.
- Great for the oral health of your pet.
What we don’t like
- Not for very aggressive chewers.
- GREAT VALUE 14 PACK DOG TOYS ALL STAR: Various kinds of popular puppy toys, including rubber dog-ring toy, 4 shaped rubber toys, 5 rope dog toys, spiky ball and 2 plush toys, attractive in price and quality, breaks up the monotony of destruction. JUST BUY ONE, get the perfect combination. By encouraging positive games, this dog toy set helps to develop a healthy chewing habit and solve problems such as chewing, teeth cleaning, anxiety, boredom, training, and barking.
- VARIETY CHEW TOYS FOR PUPPIES TEETHING: Natural rubber toys, specially designed for teething puppies and small dogs, meet all requirements. Thick ring dog toy was born to chew, available for long-lasting engagement, vent energy out and ease stress. 4 different shape rubber toys with hand-knotted rope are soft enough and bouncy, chewing to relieve sore & itchy teething issues. Bumps and grooves on them help to gum massage, fresh breath, scrape from the plaque, tartar to hidden germs.
- SELF & INTERACTIVE PLAYING DOG TOYS FOR BOREDOM: Dogs will never stop getting fun from the squeaky toys. Frog and giraffe Plush dog toys are designed for self-playing. Inner squeaker makes a cute sound, attracts your pup, a great way to kill the boring time. Spiky ball for interactive games like chasing, fetching, etc. It helps to enhance the relationship between you and your furry friends. A perfect solution for fitness, exercise, and training.
- DOG PULLING TOYS FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR: Dog rope toys with plenty of uses, comes in 5 different varieties that offer to fetch and tug-of-war games, ideal gift for your pup. Whether at home or outdoors, rope toys with handles are perfect for dog to play with you or their friends. Using them as a puppy tooth floss cleaning toys, keep dental hygiene. All adopted natural cotton fibers, tightly hand-knotted, safe and washable.
- SAFE & FUN FOR YOUR BEST FRIEND: Get 14 in one buy. A perfect combination of all kinds of dog toys, stimulate a dog's mental and physical, cooperate to keep your puppy grow up happy and healthy. 100% non-toxic, BPA free, chewing and playing without smell. Not for aggressive chewers. Welcome to contact us before or after your purchase with any questions. If you are unsatisfied, we guarantee a full refund or replacement for no reason.
4. Best Teething Chew Toys: Nylabone Just for Puppies Extra Small Pacifier Bone
Nylabone pacifier style bone is the ideal solution for Chihuahuas that are teething and tend to destroy your slippers, linen, and/or furniture.
Vets recommend this bone/pacifier toy to encourage non-destructive chewing and also alleviate boredom, anxiety, fear, and other issues in pet Chihuahuas.
Nylabone soothes irritated gums and satisfies your young puppy’s natural chewing instincts. In older dogs, this fantastic toy can help maintain oral health by keeping away tartar and plaque.
Your pet will also love its soft and flexible texture which encourages healthy chewing habits while discouraging biting, paw licking, and destruction of your furniture.
In short, this is the toy for you if you are dealing with destructive adult or a teething Chihuahua puppy.
What we like about it
- Soft chewy bone made from safe, non-toxic material
- Vet-suggested toy for teething puppies/bored or anxious adult dogs
- Available in different sizes and attractive colors
- Raised nubs and bristles eliminate plaque and tartar
- Made in USA
What we don’t like
- Slightly too big and heavy for small Chihuahuas.
- Nylabone Puppy Chew toys encourage nondestructive chewing habits while satisfying the natural urge to chew
- Softer material designed for teething puppies
- Bristles raised during chewing help clean teeth and prevent tartar buildup
- Entertaining colors and textures keep your puppy busy
- Fun shapes for added intrigue
Also Read: Best Treats for Chihuahua
5. Best Squeaky Toy: Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy
Give your smart Chi much-needed mental stimulation!
This hide-and-seek toy consists of multiple (3) squeaky squirrels that you simply place inside the accompanying tree trunk.
Next, sit back and watch your clever Chi have hours of fun searching for them!
Your puppy or adult dog will be busy for a long time with this squeak toy.
What a great way to prevent unwanted behaviors like digging, biting, chewing, destroying shoes/furniture, etc. in your smart pet!
This challenging and irresistible game from Outward Hound is also great for keeping boredom at bay in Chis that are left alone for hours.
What we like about it
- Provides much needed mental stimulation to growing pups
- Positive, fun, interactive, playful, fun
- Can be used for solo play or fetching
What we don’t like
- The soft ‘tree trunk’ isn’t too durable. Certainly not for aggressive chewers.
- HIDE & SQUEAK FUN: The small Hide A Squirrel dog puzzle is an easy way to get small dogs and puppies engaged for hours of fun Just fill the tree trunk with 3 stuffed squeaky squirrels, toss it, and let your dog's natural hunting instincts kick in
- 2-IN-1 INTERACTIVE PLAY: Toss the squirrel-filled trunk, place it on the ground, or take the squeaky plush toys out and launch them for a game of fetch your dog is sure to love
- CHALLENGING & IRRESISTIBLE: Keep boredom at bay and your curious canine mentally-stimulated while feeding their natural instincts to hunt with plush squeaky squirrels they won't be able to resist
- GENTLE ON THE TEETH AND GUMS: The stuffed plush texture of the small Hide A Squirrel dog toy is easy on the teeth, making it a great choice for smaller breeds and puppies.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
How to Select the Best Toys for Chihuahua?
Here are some factors to consider when selecting toys for your Chi:
1. Your pet’s age
Always keep your pet’s age in mind when selecting toys.
Choose softer chew toys for puppies because their teeth are quite fragile. You can also go in for teething rings, chew bones, and ropes. Just make sure that there are no small parts that your pet could accidentally swallow.
From 3 to 7 months of age, opt for teething toys that soothe your pet’s irritated gums and satisfy its need to swallow.
For older dogs, go for balls, Frisbees, rope toys, and larger chew bones. (Note that Chihuahuas are small dogs with small jaws- so select a toy appropriate for those tiny jaws).
Older Chis have slightly stronger bones and jaws and they enjoy easy to toss balls and sticks,
2. The toy’s purpose and function
This is one of the most important aspects of selecting the appropriate Chihuahua toys and accessories.
For younger puppies, you might require a chew toy for calming irritated gums. For older dogs, the toy’s main function is to keep boredom away.
Still other Chis might require interactive toys that you need to throw or pull to engage your pet physically and mentally.
There are also stimulating puzzle toys that require your pet to remove stuck in objects or find hidden treats. These can keep your pet engaged for hours and prevent unwanted behaviors like chewing, destroying furniture, etc.
Find Out! Are Milk Bones Bad for Your Dog?
3. The toy’s size and texture
In dogdom, it is not too likely that the small breed like Chi can be as aggressive a chewer as the larger breeds like Rottweiler or German Shepherd.
Therefore, you must select a safe, small toy with an appropriate texture that your pet’s jaws can keep up with.
Avoid very small fragile toys which your pet might dangerously swallow.
A general rule of thumb is to avoid anything that is small enough to reach your pet’s back molars. These are surefire choking hazards.
The shape of the toy you select should be based on your pet’s chewing preferences.
Some Chis gravitate towards balls while others like to hold elongated toys in their jaws.
Select a shape that you know your pet will love playing with.
What are the Benefits of Best Toys for Chihuahua?
The best Chihuahua toys could offer the following benefits:
A. tire out your puppy
A tired dog is a calmer and happier pet! The best toys for Chihuahuas can tucker it out so s/he won’t indulge in unwanted behaviors.
Studies show that good toys for dogs can tire out your pet much faster than a 30 minute walk would. This way, it would have no energy left for bad behavior.
B. Enhance learning
Good toys for Chihuahua can enhance your young pet’s cognition, memory retention, and other abilities.
Puppies can learn a lot through good toys. It is the best mental stimulation you can give your pet.
C. prevent your pet from chewing up your stuff
The best chew toys for Chihuahuas can protect your furniture, shoes, and linen from being chewed up.
Young puppies need chew toys for satisfying that chewing instinct. They also require the toys to soothe irritated gums.
D. help foster a human-dog bond
Your pet will love you even more if your spend time playing with it!
Toss a Frisbee or pull a rope with your Chi at the other end. These daily short sessions will encourage a positive relationship between your kids and your Chi as well as other family members.
What Toys Should Not Be Given to Chihuahuas?
It is best to keep the following toys away from your Chi:
1. Stuffed toys
The poly-filling inside the stuffed toys is not only a choking hazard, it can even create a blockage in your pet’s intestines that may require surgical correction.
2. Toys with rattling/squeaking parts or bells in them
These toys make a noise when your pet shakes them.
However, they can pose a choking hazard and could even get lodged inside your pet’s esophagus or intestines.
3. Latex, vinyl, phthalate based toys
Such toys can be very harmful to your pet in case it swallows even a small bit of it.
Many of these substances are known carcinogens and are often treated with formaldehyde and other fire retardants.
5 Awesome Ideas for Playing With Your Chihuahua
- Toss a treat and yell ‘find it’. Make sure your pet sees you toss the treat. Once it picks up the treat, toss another one and yell ‘find it’. Do this over and over.
- Play tug of war with your pet. Hold one end of the rope toy and give the other to your Chi. Pull away, gently.
- Toss a Frisbee or ball outside. Treat your pet each time it brings it back.
- Teach your Chi to clean up its toys and place it in the basket.
- For Chis that don’t play, start with the find the treats game. These are usually very popular.
Start slow and keep play sessions short so your pet does not get bored. End each play session with plenty of hugs, praise, and petting.
FAQs on Best Toys for Chihuahua
Do Chihuahuas like to play fetch?
Fetch is the most popular game with most dog breeds and the same is true with Chihuahuas.
Some dog breeds are naturally very good at fetching. Chis are one of them because they were bred to trap and bring small animals to their owners.
If you teach your pet to fetch early on, then there is no reason why it won’t like this game.
Do Chihuahuas get bored?
Yes, Chis are smart dogs and they need plenty of exercise, mental stimulation, and attention. Without these they can get bored.
Bored Chis simply jump into your lap and demand attention.
Others might bark, lick their paws, chew sheets/clothes/shoes, and indulge in other bad behaviors. Avoid these issues by using the best toys for Chihuahua and engage your pet mentally and physically.
The best toys for Chihuahua can keep your pet mentally and physically stimulated.
Additionally, they can help maintain your pet’s dental health, soothe irritated gums in teething puppies, and/or encourage positive human-pet relationships.
We recommend the MIDOG Durable Chew Toy as it is durable, sturdy, and long-lasting. It even has a fruity flavor, squeaks a bit, and is perfect for your small Chi’s tiny jaws.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.