The best treats for Chihuahua are easy to pick up, chew, and digest, nutritious, and won’t fill up its small tummy too much that it has no appetite left for its main meals.
Your younger Chi might need some healthy treats during training.
Older Chihuahuas need low calorie, high-protein treats to prevent unnecessary weight gain.
Some Chis have sensitive tummies so they might need hypoallergenic treats that won’t upset their digestion.
Then there are Chihuahuas that come with anxiety, stress, and behavioral issues. For them, calming treats can help.
Based on these different traits and characteristics, we have 5 awesome treats for your little buddy. There is something for every kind of Chihuahua!
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best treats for Chihuahua:
- Our Editor’s Pick: Fido Dental Care Belly Bone Yogurt Dog Treats
- Best Calming Treats: Premium Care Hemp Calming Treats
- Best Budget Treats: Canine Carry Outs Dog Treats
- Best Dental Chew Treats: FRONTLINE Oral Defense Daily Dental Chews
- Best Low Calorie Treats: Pet Botanics Training Reward
Best Treats for Chihuahua – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Fido Dental Care Belly Bone Yogurt Dog Treats
Fido Dental Care yogurt flavored dog treats are specially made for small dogs like Chihuahuas that happen to have small jaws and sensitive bellies.
They contain pre and probiotics which are very good for your pet’s digestive health as well as its immune system.
Moreover, their omega fatty acid content, vitamins, and minerals are great for their coat and skin.
In addition, these great Chi treats are packed with protein and they also clean your pet’s tartar and plaque for shiny, healthy teeth and fresher breath.
What we like about it
- Delicious texture
- Picky Chihuahuas love it
- Packed with nutrition.
What we don’t like about it
- Too hard for some Chis, especially those with few teeth.
- Fido Naturals Belly Bone Dog Treats (Mini) - Delicious dental care bones for extra small dogs (4 - 18 pounds). Reduces plaque and tartar formation. With Prebiotic and Probiotic to help support a healthy digestive system. 8 oz. bag.
- What's Included - Each pack contains 21 yogurt-flavored mini dog bones, in a resealable pouch. Bones are recommended for dogs weighing between 4-18 pounds and aged 6 months+ (Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier, Maltese, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels). Each treat measures 3 inches.
- Pressure-Molded, Not Baked - Made in the USA with natural ingredients including antioxidants, omega fatty acids and essential amino acids. Healthy and safe to digest. Ideal for dogs with sensitive digestive systems, unlike rawhide.
- Bye-Bye Bad Breath - Features a unique v-groove design, making them easy for dogs to hold while the chews massage gums and clean teeth, meaning fresher dog breath. All with a taste and flavor dogs can't resist. Suitable as a daily treat.
- Dogs Love Them - Fido's tasty bones will quickly become the favorite bedtime treat! Break the bones in half, as needed. Please always supervise your pets so they do not gulp our treats without chewing them first. Other sized-treats are available (medium and large).
2. Best Calming Treats: Premium Care Hemp Calming Treats
Premium Care hemp treats are ideal for aggressive, anxious, and stressed Chihuahuas.
Often, this dog breed is known to bark too much owing to issues like separation anxiety, anxiety during car rides, storms, etc.
Many pet parents have used these treats to curb behaviors in their Chihuahuas related to the above issues.
Premium Care has tested their hemp treats and found reduction in 95% of anxiety, hyperactivity, aggression, and even stress-related behaviors. They use all-natural ingredients like chamomile, passion flower, L-tryptophan, valerian root, etc. in these treats.
Many Chis also stopped paw-licking, salivating, barking, whimpering, with these treats in just a few days and it helped curb car-ride anxiety in many dogs as well.
What we like about it
- Free from wheat, corn, sugar, preservatives – suits sensitive digestion
- Made in the USA using all-natural ingredients
- Highly tested treats with over 95% efficacy in behavioral issues
- Works for calming pets during thunder, fireworks, loud noises, vet visits, car drives, and kennel stays, etc.
What we don’t like
- Did not work in some pets.
- ✅ 𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐗𝐈𝐄𝐓𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒 - Our calming treats help your dog cope with external stresses, enhances brain function and has a calming, relaxing effect for dogs exhibiting nervousness, anxiety, hyperactivity, discontentment or responding negatively to environmentally-induced stress
- ✅ 𝐕𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐆𝐇 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐈𝐃 - Our tasty duck flavored soft chews are safe for your dog, made in the USA in a cGMP compliant facility and promote a sense of relaxation without drowsiness by using natural ingredients like organic passion flower, organic ginger root plus chamomile, valerian root, and l-tryptophan
- ✅ 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐄𝐒 𝐀 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐄𝐅𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 - Our treats have a calming effect on your dog's nerves and are great for keeping your dog from responding negatively to environmentally-induced situations and may help curb destructive behavior and coping with external stresses brought on by loud noises, vet or grooming visits, moving, or travel that may cause temporary anxiousness
- ✅ 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐋 E𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 – Our all-natural calming formula also promotes relaxation with Organic Passion Flower to support normal emotional balance, L-Tryptophan may reduce hyperactivity and promote relaxation and Valerian Root for behavioral problem management and provides help for restless dogs
- ✅ 𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐊-𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐆𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄 - Try our calming chews for 30 days, if you do not see a difference in your dog, simply return them for a 100% no-hassle refund
3. Best Budget Treats: Canine Carry Outs Dog Treats
Canine Carry Out dog treats come in 4 different flavors and are full of protein. They look and taste like real protein that they are made from: beef/mini burgers/bacon/chicken/hot dogs, etc.
Despite being inexpensive, they are safe to consume and devoid of any harmful ingredients. Most Chis could easily tolerate them without adverse reaction.
You can further break them into smaller pieces during training or when you don’t want to fill up your pet with treats alone.
Canine Carry Out dog treats are fairly easy to chew and have an interesting texture and aroma that even picky Chihuahuas love.
They are easy to travel with and made in the USA.
What we like about it
- Easy for Chihuahuas to eat
- Great taste and flavor loved by picky Chis
What we don’t like
- Contain corn syrup, salt, and tons of flavorings which some Chis are sensitive to.
- Discontinued by Manufacturer
4. Best Dental Chew Treats: FRONTLINE Oral Defense Daily Dental Chews
FRONTLINE Defense dental chews for Chihuahuas brush away plaque and last a long time so your pet can chew for hours!
Each chew also has a unique center which melts while your pet chews it thereby freshening its breath.
Above all, it coats the entire mouth with a protective barrier to prevent new tartar/plaque formation.
Moreover, these well-designed dental treats from FRONTLINE are specially formulated for small dogs and contain just 23 kcal per chew. This way, they don’t fill up your pet too much.
What we like about it
- Cleans teeth, maintains fresh breath
- Protects the teeth
- Especially formulated for small breeds like Chihuahuas
What we don’t like
- Contains tapioca starch and wheat gluten which some sensitive dogs cannot tolerate.
- With a chewy texture, these tasty dental treats help scrub plaque off of your dog's teeth all the way to the gumline where dangerous plaque build-up hides
- As your dog chews, the delectable heart-shaped center melts and covers the entire mouth. Use daily for a noticeably cleaner breath that comes from a whole-mouth kind of clean
- Help chew the plaque away with a tasty treat everyday. After a few days of daily chews, you should notice clean breath that keeps going all day between chews
- From the makers of FRONTLINE Plus, these treats are made especially for dogs and puppies six months of age or older
- Give your dog one FRONTLINE Oral Defense Chew a day
Also Read: Expert Answers Are Dentastix Good for Your Dog
5. Best Low Calorie Treats: Pet Botanics Training Reward
With just 1.5 kcal per treat, these flavorful treats from Pet Botanics are great for training your young Chihuahua. They are also great for older dogs as snacks between meals as they don’t fill up your pet too much or add to its weight.
Many Chi parents have also used these low-cal treats to help their obese pet lose weight! Indeed, for Pet Botanics Training Reward treats are fortified with vitamins and minerals so you will good about giving them to your pet.
They are even packed with superfoods, herbs, and antioxidants which provide many benefits to your energetic pet.
Pet Botanics Training Reward treats are great for puppies and adults – they are free from fillers, colors, sugar, and other unhealthy stuff like BHA and BHT. This makes them great for sensitive dogs.
You can get these delicious treats in different flavors like chicken, duck and bacon, beef, etc.
What we like about it
- Nutritious, low-calorie and great taste.
- Recommended by thousands of professional pet trainers
- Free from corn, BHA, BHT, and artificial flavors.
- Majority of picky Chis loved them
What we don’t like
- Contains garlic – so feed in moderation.
- Has a strong odor.
- Highly Palatable with natural pork liver base
- 500 treats per bag!
- Only 1.5 calories per treat
- Features BotaniFits, our exclusive botanical blend of antioxidant-rich blueberries, cranberries, carrots, tomatoes, rosemary, chamomile, dandelion, yucca , green tea and peppermint.
- No BHA, BHT, corn, soy, or artificial flavors and colors
How to Select the Best Treats for Chihuahua?
You might wonder what sets different dog treats apart.
Given the sheer variety in dog treats in the market, things can get quite confusing for pet parents as to which treat to pick.
Here are some factors that can help you zero in on the best treats for Chihuahua:
A. Your purpose behind treating
Consider carefully your reason behind treating your pet.
You might want to treat your Chi during training or when you want it to behave in a certain way.
You might also treat your pet in between meals or for cleaning its teeth.
Then there are treats which that help calm down anxious pets. These calming treats prevent/reduce excess barking, paw licking, excited urination, aggression, vomiting during car rides, misbehavior on the way to the vet’s clinic, etc.
Based on these factors, you can look for specific treats. We have categorized treats based on the different issues above.
You can also go for low-calorie treats in case you want your pet to not end up too full and as a between-meals snack.
B. Your Chihuahua’s digestive system
Some Chihuahuas have sensitive tummies. They could be allergic to certain ingredients in the treats.
Some Chis, for instance, would only require grain and gluten-free treats.
Others cannot handle beef, poultry, or other proteins. Similarly, others could be sensitive to fillers, colors, preservatives, and other junk/unhealthy ingredients in the treats.
Choose a dog treat that does not contain ingredients that your pet is sensitive to and is easy to digest without any adverse reactions.
Learn to read food labels.
Select treats that are nourishing and wholesome and free from fillers, colors, and unhealthy ingredients. (All of the treats recommended above are healthy and mostly free from unwanted ingredients).
C. Your Chi’s chewing ability
Chihuahuas are small dogs with small jaws.
Harder and larger treats could be difficult for your pet to pick up and chew.
In addition, it can also be frustrating for Chis with loose, broken, or missing teeth.
In such cases, you can go in for softer easy-to-chew dog treats that your pet can easily pick up and chew without hurting its gums.
D. Your pet’s taste preferences
Chihuahuas are picky dogs.
They have very specific taste preferences and are very sensitive to textures and flavors.
Go in for flavors that you know your pet is sure to love and appreciate.
Always buy a smaller pack of dog treats first before buying in bulk.
This way, you won’t waste money if your picky pet does not like them.
How Often and How Many Treats Should I Give My Chihuahua Every Day?
It is best to follow the 10% rule of dog treats when it comes to treating your pet.
Do not feed more than 10% of your pet’s daily calories in treats.
For instance, if your vet has recommended your 5 lb. Chihuahua to have no more than 225 calories per day, then the treats should not amount to more than 22.5% of calories each day.
The remaining 200 odd calories should come from your pet’s main meals.
Also Read: Best Dog Food for Chihuahua
When Should I Give a Treat to My Chihuahua?
For Chihuahua puppies:
It is very important to make treating an effective way of training your younger Chihuahua.
Treat your pet when it behaves the way you want it to or when it follows a command.
In addition, use dog treats to get your chi’s attention and keep it interested during the training session.
Ideally, your dog should be moderately hungry when you are training it so that it will do what you want it to do.
For adults Chihuahuas:
In case of adult Chihuahuas, you can treat in between meals.
Opt for low-calorie treats that won’t fill up your pet and yet give it enough energy to run and play.
You can also give one dental treat or dental chew after dinner to clean out plaque and tartar. This applies to puppies as well. (Never substitute dental treats for a healthy round of brushing!).
In the case of anxious dogs, you can feed one calming treat per day to prevent behavioral issues related to stress, separation anxiety, vet visits, kennel stays, thunder, fireworks, etc.
FAQs on Best Treats for Chihuahuas
1. What Human Food Can I Use to Treat My Chihuahua?
When looking at human food for treats think raw fruits and vegetables.
Here are some great options:
- Celery sticks
- Cottage cheese
- Peanut butter
- Apples (without seeds)
2. What homemade treats for Chihuahua can I give?
Here is a simple homemade treat for your Chihuahua:
You will need
- 2 apples, sliced and cored
- ½ cup of plain, full-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup of drinking water
- Ice trays
- In a blender, add apples, yogurt, and water.
- Blend until liquid.
- Pour the liquid in ice trays.
- Freeze in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Feed your Chihuahua one frozen treat at a time.
- Freeze the remaining treats in an air-tight container.
3. Why Does My Chihuahua Hide its Treats?
Chihuahuas often hide their treats to eat them later.
They will typically do this when you are not too generous with treats or when they want to hide their surplus stock and eat it later.
In multi-pet households, your Chi might hide its treats to prevent other dogs from stealing them.
4. What dog treats are bad for Chihuahuas?
Here are some dog treats that you might want to avoid for your Chihuahua
Rawhide treats are cheap because they are discarded animal parts that add no nutritive value to your pet. For instance, there have been reports of the use of formaldehyde, glue, and other chemicals used in processing rawhide dog treats.
Certain human foods
Foods like chocolates, raisins and grapes, garlic, onions, cooked bones etc. can be harmful and even downright toxic for your delicate Chi.
They can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and other debilitating symptoms in small dog breeds. Chocolates and raisins are even known to kill dogs.
Colorful dog treats
Many colors used in dog treats are banned but that hasn’t stopped manufacturers from using them.
Avoid colorful dog biscuits containing E110/Sunset yellow, E129/Red, etc. as they can cause food intolerances and allergies and are even possible carcinogens.
The best treats for Chihuahua are easy to digest, healthy, and easy to chew.
They are wholesome and nutritious and free from fillers and unhealthy/junk ingredients. Healthy dog treats are also well-liked by your picky Chihuahua.
We recommend the Fido Dental Care Belly Bones for Dogswhich have an interesting texture and flavor and are specially made for small dog breeds like Chihuahuas. They are packed with pro and prebiotics that are good for your pet’s digestion and immunity.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “thp20-20”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “best treats for chihuahua”;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “PetSupplies”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “11b5b731a9e0bdc32fdb076cca7b47b1”;
amzn_assoc_default_browse_node = “2619533011”;