Best dental chews for Chihuahuas combined with regular brushing and professional dental cleanups can help prevent many oral health problems in your Chi.
Chihuahuas are prone to dental problems like periodontal disease and nearly 80% of dogs over the age of 2 can develop these painful issues.
While dental chews might not be 100% effective in preventing them, they can, to a great extent keep your pet’s teeth free from tartar and plaque.
The best dental chews for Chihuahuas are easy to digest for their sensitive tummies, freshen up their breath, remove bacterial accumulation, and also keep your pet occupied for a while!
We have 5 great picks for you based on different categories like chews for seniors, for Chis with sensitivities and allergies, for puppies, etc.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the Best dental chews for Chihuahuas:
- Our Editor’s Pick: Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats
- Best Dental Chews for Tartar Control: Virbac Enzymatic Dog Chews
- Best Budget Dental Chews: Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Chew Treats
- Best Dental Chews for Bad Breath: Merrick Fresh Kisses Small Dog Dental Treats
- Best Dental Chews for Chihuahua Puppy: Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste, Dog Dental Chews
Best Dental Chews for Chihuahuas – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats
Vets recommend the Greenies Original Canine Dental Treats for small dogs weighing between 5 to 15 lbs. for the following reasons:
Firstly, it is small enough (2 3/4th inches per treat) for petite dog breeds like Chihuahua to pick up and chew for hours.
The treats are chewy and they bend – a feature that deep cleans your pet’s mouth all the way to the gum line.
Secondly, the easy-to-digest dental treats contain all-natural ingredients which are safe and gentle for sensitive Chihuahuas to digest.
This means less worry for you about adverse reactions.
Thirdly, there are many vitamins, minerals, and vital nutrients in each Greenies Teenie Natural dental chew.
Fourthly, the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) recommends giving one Greenie to your pet on a daily basis to freshen breath, clean away tartar and plaque, and maintain healthy and sparkling teeth and gums.
What we like about it
- Ideal size for small dogs between 5-15 lb.
- Chewy texture which picky eaters love
- Easy to digest, fortified with good stuff
- Freshens breath, keeps teeth and gums healthy and sparkling
- VOHC recommended.
What we don’t like
- Sometimes, the Greenies harden after exposure to air and become rock-like and inedible. Transfer to an air-tight container.
- Small Dog Dental Treats: One GREENIES dental treat a day is all it takes for clean teeth, fresh breath and a happy dog; These irresistibly tasty treats feature a delightfully chewy texture that helps fight plaque and tartar
- Supports Oral Health: The chewy texture helps clean teeth, maintain healthy gums and freshen breath to make mouths happy day after day
- Find the Right Treat: We make GREENIES Dental Treats for every age from puppy to mature, and every dog size from small to large, plus we offer Grain Free, Weight Management, Blueberry Flavor and Fresh Flavor varieties
- Made With Natural Ingredients Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Nutrients: GREENIES dental treats are easy to digest with highly soluble ingredients and provide balanced nutrition for adult dogs for healthy and delicious treating
- Veterinarian Recommended for Dental Care: These dental treats are made from high quality ingredients combined into soft chews your dog will love
2. Best Dental Chews for Tartar Control: Virbac Enzymatic Dog Chews
Each Virbac Enzymatic Dog beef rawhide chew measures about 5-inches in length.
This is an ideal size for your petite adult Chihuahua (or dogs weighing up to 10 lb.) to hold and chew it safely.
We love the fact that these top-rated dog dental chews contain dual enzyme system with a coating of chlorhexidine and an abrasive texture.
These two features work on your pet’s teeth to reduce tartar, eliminate plaque, and freshen up bad breath.
Moreover, even your picky Chi will find these poultry-flavored dental chews simply irresistible!
No wonder so many vets recommend it to pet parents!
What we like about it
- Dual enzyme action for superior tartar control
- Ideal length for small and petite dogs
What we don’t like
- Not long lasting. Dogs chew it up within minutes.
- 1 SMALL ENZYMATIC CHEWS BAG: Made for dogs under 11 lbs; Package contains approximately 30 chews per bag; Chew size and thickness may vary in package
- DAILY DENTAL CARE: Features an exclusive Dual Enzyme System and abrasive texture to help reduce plaque and tartar through dog’s chewing action; To maximize effectiveness, give your dog at least 1 chew daily
- HIGHLY PALATABLE: The chews are poultry flavored providing a taste dogs love, Made using select beef hide
- VET RECOMMENDED: The C. E. T. product line is the #1 Recommended dental brand by Veterinary professionals
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Virbac is committed to providing great customer satisfaction; For questions or concerns about the product you may reach out directly to the Virbac Support Team (contact info provided on each bag)
3. Best Budget Dental Chews: Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Chew Treats
Purina DentaLife dog dental treats for small or mid-sized dogs come with an enticing chicken flavor which your pet is sure to love.
It also has a unique twisted and ridged design with thousands of air-pockets that reach the teeth on the backside and deep clean your pet’s entire mouth.
Each chew is also dense, chewy and long-lasting so your pet can get some quiet and satiating chew-time while also cleaning tartar and plaque.
Purina DentaLife dog treats have been tested by veterinary dental experts to ensure tartar buildup reduction of nearly 57%.
What we like about it
- Daily oral care for small dogs
- Special ridged-structure that cleans tartar and plaque
- Vet-recommended and VOHC accepted
- Crafted in USA-facilities without any artificial flavors, colors, etc.
What we don’t like
- Some hard sticks caused slight oral bleeding in smaller dogs
- A couple of dogs developed diarrhea on these treats.
- One (1) 25-Count Pouch - Purina DentaLife Made in USA Facilities Small/Medium Dog Dental Chews, Daily
- Scientifically proven to have a 57 percent average reduction in tartar buildup. which helps freshen breath. Eight distinct ridges and a porous texture help clean hard-to-reach teeth down to the gumline
- Innovative design with a chewy, porous texture. No artificial flavors or colors
- Proudly produced in USA facilities. VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) Accepted product
- Ideal for small to medium size (20-40 lbs.) adult dogs. Satisfaction guaranteed (See packaging for details)
4. Best Dental Chews for Bad Breath: Merrick Fresh Kisses Small Dog Dental Treats
Your little Chi will develop a fresh and minty breath with Merrick’s Fresh Kisses Dental Treats for Small Dogs.
Firstly, Merrick’s dental treats are made with all-natural ingredients making it a great choice for sensitive Chihuahuas.
Each treat measures about 2.25 inches which is ideal for dogs between 5-15 lb.
Secondly, these are limited ingredient treats – completely free from potatoes and gluten – so you won’t have to worry about any upset tummies.
Thirdly, their unique ‘brush-like’ structure is like no other treat out there.
They are molded into dual brush on each end which thoroughly clean away plaque and tartar.
Moreover, each treat comes with a spearmint strip to give your baby a fresh and clean breath so you are ever ready for those cuddles!
You can also get these treats in Coconut and botanical oils (mint, lemongrass, rosemary oils) flavor.
What we like about it
- Dual brush like texture for thorough brushing
- Spearmint strips freshen up breath
- Grain-free, gluten-free, potato-free, limited ingredient. Ideal for sensitive Chihuahuas.
What we don’t like
- Did not suit some dogs – cause gastrointestinal upsets.
- Merrick Fresh Kisses Dog Dental Chews For Extra Small Breeds, Grain Free Dog Treats Infused with Real Mint
- Fresh Kisses dental chews for dogs are natural dog chews that help with dog teeth cleaning and freshening breath
- Merrick dog treats that feature a unique double brush design are perfect for dog teeth cleaning and as a dog breath freshener like no other dog dental treats
- Grain free dog treats are potato free. Cooked in the USA, these mint dog treats for small dogs weighing 5 to 15 pounds fight plaque and tarter
- Dental dog chews with peppermint flakes for fresh breath are easily digestible and clean teeth and freshen breath. Small dog treats mint dog chews only have 10 ingredients
5. Best Dental Chews for Chihuahua Puppy: Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste, Dog Dental Chews
Ark Naturals Dog dental treats are recommended for small dogs and puppies weighing less than 8lb.
Each treat is gluten-free and comes with a unique ridged-design that cleans plaque, tartar, and freshens up breath.
Thus, the treats mechanically reduce plaque and tartar while natural ingredients and toothpaste-filled centers clear up bad breath, if any.
We love the fact that vets recommend these gluten-free dental treats for delicate pups.
Its all-natural formula contains cinnamon, vanilla, clove, alfalfa, and other natural ingredients that are efficient while being gentle on sensitive tummies.
What we like about it
- 4-in-1 dental care specially for mini breed dogs and puppies under 8lb
- Vet formulated and crafted in USA facilities
- All-natural and gluten-free
What we don’t like
- Some treats were too hard for puppy teeth.
- 4-in-1 NATURAL DOG DENTAL CHEW: Contains (1) 4oz bag of Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste for Mini Breeds. Designed to abrasively clean teeth, mechanically help reduce plaque and tartar buildup, and freshen breath.
- HELPS FIGHT PLAQUE & TARTAR AND FRESHENS BREATH: Outside ridges abrasively clean teeth, help reduce stains, and polish teeth while toothpaste center helps fight plaque, tartar, and bacteria causing bad breath with natural ingredients such as alfalfa, cinnamon, vanilla, and clove.
- BRUSH TWO TIMES A DAY: For best results, we recommend a tooth-brushing regimen of two Brushless chews per day. For even longer lasting effectiveness, try combining with Brushless Plaque-Zapper.
- VET RECOMMENDED FOR MINI BREED DOGS: Our vet recommended dental chew is specifically formulated for mini breed dogs, 12 weeks and older, with a weight of 8 pounds or less.
- CAREFULLY CRAFTED IN THE USA: Our recipe is formulated with natural, high quality ingredients that are corn free, soy free, wheat free, and have no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
How to Select the Best Dental Chews for Chihuahuas
When selecting the best dental chews for Chihuahuas, look for the following criteria:
1. Your pet finds it edible
Chihuahuas can be very picky eaters.
They are known to turn away their noses at the best treats which other dogs beg for.
Therefore, look for treats that your picky pet will eat happily.
It should have a taste and flavor that your pet will want to look forward to on a daily basis.
2. Does a thorough job of cleaning teeth and gumline
An important criteria to consider when selecting dental treats for your Chi is its structure and texture.
Look for treats that have ridges or a brush-like structures.
These will mimic the toothbrush and actually eliminate accumulated food particles, tartar buildup and plaque.
The treats must also contain toothpaste or botanical oils or herbs like mint to freshen up its breath.
Ideally, your dog’s dental treats should perform multiple functions like freshen up breath, clean the gumline and leave your pet’s teeth sparkling clean each time.
3. Made in USA with all-natural ingredients
Chihuahuas are sensitive dogs and many are known to be allergic to ingredients like grains, gluten, colors, preservatives, flavorings, etc.
These ingredients can cause serious reactions like vomiting, diarrhea, itching, paw-licking, etc. in sensitive pets.
That is why, you need to look for chews that are made with limited ingredients (10-or less).
These should not include grain, gluten, soy, corn, colors/dyes, flavorings, and harsh preservatives.
Also, look for treats that are made in USA facilities as they are known to follow higher standards of quality and purity.
4. Vet And/or VOHC approved
You can trust a product for your furbaby when you know it is approved by a vet or the VOHC. The VOHC is the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
This organization tests claims made by products about plaque and tartar reduction and grants their seal when said products meet those claims.
5. Is easy-to-handle for small jaws
Look for treats that are not too heavy or calorific.
Also, they should not be too hard that they hurt your pet’s tiny jaws.
While looking for puppy dental chews, make sure they have the adequate length (no more than 5 inches) so your puppy or adult Chi weighing up to 10 lb. can easily handle it.
At the same time, the chew should last for a while to provide satiety and satisfy your pet’s natural chewing instinct.
Also Read: Best Toys for Chihuahua
Are Dental Chews Necessary for Chihuahuas?
This is a tricky question and there is no straight-forward answer.
Are dental chews necessary for Chihuahuas? The answer is yes, but it is also no.
Check out our reasons below:
A. They need to have the right texture
When formulated correctly with the right abrasive texture, brush-like surfaces, and/or ridged edges, dog dental chews do have the potential to clean away plaque and tartar and even freshen your Chi’s breath.
However, they are still not a complete replacement to daily brushing.
Just like you cannot expect to eat a crunchy apple or carrot for thoroughly cleaning your teeth and freshening up your breath, you cannot rely on dental chews alone to deeply clean your Chihuahua’s teeth and gums.
Also Read: Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua
B. They can be calorific
Chihuahuas are known to have small tummies which can quickly get filled with a single dental chew.
This can make them too full for their main meals.
Alternatively, highly-calorific treats could increase your Chi’s calorie intake and lead to unnecessary weight gain.
Also read: How Much to Feed a Chihuahua
C. They can sometimes be dangerous
Hard treats can cause oral bleeding or tooth fractures.
Their small parts can even be choking hazards.
Therefore, you must always monitor your Chi, especially your puppy, when it is chewing its treat.
Also Read: Best Treats for Chihuahua
What Are the Benefits of Dental Chews for Chihuahuas?
The best dental chews for Chihuahuas can have many benefits.
A test study has even proven this. This test was conducted on 60 adult dogs.
The dogs were divided into two groups.
One group received dry food or kibble and one dental treat each day. This dental treat was green in color and had a bendable structure.
The other group only received dry diet.
At the end of 28 days, the researchers measured the plaque and calculus accumulation in all the dogs. They also evaluated malodor and gingival health.
The researchers concluded that adding a dental chew to the diet significantly reduced plaque, bad breath/malodor, and calculus accumulation.
It also improved gingival health significantly in the dogs.
To summarize: adding a dental chew to your dog’s daily routine can help reduce plaque, tartar, and bacterial accumulation.
It could also keep your Chi’s teeth sparkling clean, and its breath fresh. The best dental chews for Chihuahuas could also prevent gingivitis and periodontal disease.
How Often Should You Give Dental Chews to Your Chihuahua?
Feed no more than one dental treat to your Chi every day.
Supplement this with regular brushing and schedule once-a-year dental cleaning at the vet.
This will help keep your pet’s teeth clean and healthy for years to come.
Some Awesome Tips to Keep Your Chihuahua’s Teeth Clean
Apart from feeding one of the best dental chews for Chihuahuas on a daily basis, you must also use the following methods to keep your pet’s teeth clean and fresh.
1. Brush regularly
Use an enzymatic toothpaste and dog toothbrush to clean your Chi’s teeth once every couple of days.
2. Use dental sprays
Spritz some No products found. to freshen up breath and reduce plaque formation. These help control plaque, tartar, and bacteria and are vet approved.
3. Let your pet play with chew toys
Give your Chi some chew toys. These are made of rope or food-grade materials that eliminate tartar buildup.
4. Use natural recipes
Make a paste of baking soda and coconut oil and rub it all over your pet’s teeth, Wipe off clean with a clean cloth.
This is a natural remedy that will give your pet sparkling teeth and also freshen up its breath.
5. Feed your pet dry food
Switch to a high-quality crunchy kibble, if you are not using it already. Dry diets are better for reducing plaque and tartar.
Check out our guide on the Best Dog Food for Chihuahua.
6. Feed it crunchy treats.
Many food treats can help reduce plaque and tartar.
You can also feed carrots or apple slices (without seeds) as their crunchy texture can reduce plaque on your Chi’s teeth.
7. Get your pet’s teeth examined professionally
Schedule regular vet exams and dental cleanings to keep your pet’s teeth clean and healthy.
The best dental chews for Chihuahuas clean their teeth, reduce plaque and tartar, and eliminate bad breath.
They are also easy to digest, vet-approved, and provide chewing satiety to your pet.
We recommend the Greenies Original Canine Dental Treats for small dogs because they are VOHC recommended, have a great texture, are fortified with vitamins, and are very efficient in tartar and plaque elimination.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.