The best toothbrush for Chihuahua has a small bristle area that gently cleans away lodged food bits from your pet’s teeth.
It should ideally also have softer bristles so it does not hurt your delicate Chi’s gums.
Based on these needs, we have hand-picked 6 top products for brushing your Chihuahua’s teeth with.
These toothbrushes are recommended by real Chi parents and vets, so you know you are getting the best!
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top reviewed products for the best toothbrush for Chihuahua:
- Our Editor’s Pick: V-TurboWay Pet toothbrush for Small Dogs and Puppies
- Best Budget Toothbrush for Chihuahua: MIND UP Toothbrush for Small Dogs Made in Japan
- Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua Adult Dogs: No products found.
- Best Toothbrush Set for Chihuahua: BC Pets Dual-Head Puppy and Adult Dog Toothbrush
- Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua Bad Breath: Bluestem Oral Care Kit for Pets
- Best Finger Toothbrush for Chihuahua: Barkley's 360º Dog Fingerbrush Toothbrush
Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua – 2021 Top 6 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: V-TurboWay Pet toothbrush for Small Dogs and Puppies
V-Turboway is an ideal tooth brush for your Chihuahua’s small mouth because of the following reasons:
Firstly, it has a small bristle area with a diameter of just 0.57-inches. This easily gets to the back side of your petite pet’s mouth without hurting it.
Secondly, it has a large handle of about 6-inches making it comfortable for you to quickly and easily clean your pet’s teeth all around.
Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, its bristles are incredibly soft and dense – almost 10 times denser than most toothbrushes for pets.
This feature deep cleans thoroughly and eliminates plaque efficiently. Additionally, you can use the brush to clean your pet’s tongue as well.
Finally, we must not forget its 360-degree rotating head which cleans and covers a larger area of your pet’s mouth.
In short: this is the only brush you need to keep your Chi dental-trouble free!
What we like about it
- Small bristle area with soft-yet-dense bristles
- Ergonomically designed, user-friendly handle
- 360-degree rotating head
What we don’t like
- Turns black if not dried and cleaned properly. (Soak it in peroxide solution to avoid mold).
- Ergonomic handle design, length 6", bristle diameter 0.57"
- Best for Puppy, Yorkie, chihuahuas, small dog and cat
- It's wrong to use finger brushes, vet advise 360-Degree Pet Toothbrush which is the best brush to rotate the brush get more brushing done
- Toothbrush has super soft bristles,10 times more bristles to remove plaque, food particles and effectively cleanse and massage tongues, teeth and gums
2. Best Budget Toothbrush for Chihuahua: MIND UP Toothbrush for Small Dogs Made in Japan
MIND UP small pet toothbrush has a tiny mini-sized bristle area for cleaning small mouths. It is perfect for small dogs weighing up to 6 lb. (2.5 kg).
Please note that MIND UP brushes are available in 4 different styles:
You will especially love Mind Up’s micro head small dog breed toothbrush as it is specially designed for dogs weighing less than or up to 6 lb.
The micro head toothbrush comes with a 15-degree angle bend, so your pet gets a thorough cleaning all around its mouth on all tooth surfaces.
Furthermore, the brush has micro thin bristles (measuring just 10 mm in length).
They are very soft and gentle on delicate teeth and gums and yet they clean thoroughly and efficiently to remove accumulated food bits and hardened plaque.
In short, Mind Up pet toothbrush is especially designed for your pet’s small mouth.
What we like about it
- Small-bristle area with micro thin bristles – ideal for small pets
- Angled for thorough cleaning
- Soft and safe on delicate gums and teeth
- Easy to clean
What we don’t like
- No instructions in English.
- All easy to use design
- Cylinder Head - Make your brushing easier as the multi-angle brush reaches teeth surface without hassle. Specially designed micro thin bristles cleans thoroughly and gently
- Micro Head - Specially designed mini sized bristle targeted for ultra-small breeds. Best for 6lbs and below for daily brushing. 15 degree angle bend specially designed to fit your dog's mouth shape for better handling when brushing
- Thumb & Finger - Specially designed to allow using thumb and index finger at the same time to removing plaque and food debris and be able to reach areas that are normally hard to reach. Also best choice as a starter to introduce teeth brushing experience
3. Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua Adult Dogs: No products found.No products found.
Many Chihuahua owners love WooBamboo small dog breed toothbrush since it easily fits into their pet’s small mouth without hurting them.
Its soft bristles also gently and effectively clean accumulated food particles, plaque, and tartar.
While the brush’s total length is 5-inches, the bristle-area is only 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm (L x W). Thus, if your pet really needs a very small toothbrush, this is it.
Moreover, WooBamboo Small Pet Toothbrush’s wooden handle is completely biodegradable, recyclable, and ecofriendly. It is also sustainably grown and harvested, so you won’t add to the landfills.
Furthermore, even the toothbrush’s packaging is made from recyclable material.
In short, you can say that WooBamboo small dog toothbrush is ‘vet-recommended’ and ‘Mother Nature approved’!
What we like about it
- Lightweight toothbrush with a very tiny bristle area
- Perfect for very tiny jaws.
- Ecofriendly, sustainable, recyclable.
What we don’t like
- Not made in the USA
No products found.
4. Best Toothbrush Set for Chihuahua: BC Pets Dual-Head Puppy and Adult Dog Toothbrush
BC Pets dental care set for dogs contains everything you need for brushing your puppy’s teeth, all the way to its adulthood. (BC Pets tooth brushes can be used for cats as well as mini/tiny/small, medium, and large dog breeds too).
The set contains everything you need to keep your small dog’s teeth clean – right from puppyhood when you first start brushing all the way to a senior Chihuahua.
It contains 2 finger brushes – which are extremely handy for training a very young dog to sit still while you brush its teeth. These even have clear cases to keep them clean.
Then there are 2 dual-ended brushes that can be useful for cleaning the back and front side of all teeth in puppies as well as adult dogs with tiny mouths. One of the ends is specially made very small to clean tiny teeth.
Thirdly, you also get 2 soft-bristle brushes which won’t hurt delicate gums and tiny teeth but do a thorough job of plaque-removal.
What we like about it
- Versatile, complete dental care kit for small puppies and adults
- Durable and ergonomically designed
- Soft bristles for sensitive gums
- Made with food-grade silicone
What we don’t like
- No toothpaste included in the kit.
- 🐶 TAKE ALL THE FUSS OUT OF BRUSHING YOUR PET'S TEETH with the BC Pets dog toothbrush set, which includes 2 x silicone finger dog toothbrushes, 1 x 2-ended cat and dog tooth brush, and 1 x dualhead pet toothbrush for your doggy or kitten.
- 🐱 PROTECT YOUR PET'S SENSITIVE GUMS & TEETH from damage with our vet-approved dog toothbrush kit for small dogs, which features soft yet durable bristles that will help reach different areas without hurting your furry friend's gums or teeth.
- 🐕 KEEP YOUR PET'S TEETH CLEAN, HEALTHY & STRONG with zero hassle. The BC Pets toothbrushes for small dogs, cats, and larger doggos can be used with any dog toothpaste in order to promote stronger teeth, healthier gums, and improved oral hygiene.
- 🐈 COMPLETE CAT & DOG DENTAL CARE KIT: Use our food-grade silicone dog finger brushes for mini, tiny or small breeds, our 2-ended handle doggie toothbrush and 2-sided soft bristle brush for medium dogs, and the 2-ended brush for large pups.
- ✅ PAWSOME 1-YEAR FULL REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE: In the improbable case that you, your pooch or your kitty are not 100% thrilled with your canine and feline toothbrush set, we promise to issue a full refund on-the-spot. No questions asked.
5. Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua Bad Breath: Bluestem Oral Care Kit for Pets
Bluestem oral care kit comes with poultry/chicken flavored toothpaste which your picky pet won’t be able to resist.
This toothpaste can easily reduce bad breath thanks to its Coactiv+ technology that quickly eliminates tartar and plaque from your Chi’s teeth.
BlueStem Oral care Kit’s dual-ended tooth brush and coactive+ technology toothpaste combo are scientifically formulated to breakdown bacteria from the biofilm, freshen breath, fight plaque and tartar, promote oral hygiene, and keep your pet’s teeth sparkling clean.
Did we mention that it needs no rinsing?
Worry not, it is very safe for use since there are no xylitol, sugar, alcohols, or other harmful substances in it.
In short, it is the most convenient and safest way of cleaning your Chihuahua’s teeth particularly if it hates the dental cleaning process.
What we like about it
- Chicken flavored toothpaste that picky Chis love
- Extensively tested
- Complete oral care for dogs: fight plaque, tartar, bacteria, and freshen breath
- Free from alcohol, xylitol, and sugar
What we don’t like
- Brushes ought to be available in several sizes.
- [ FIGHTS PLAQUE AND REDUCES TARTAR ] Introducing a new scientifically formulated toothpaste for dogs and cats with coactiv+ technology from bluestem. coactiv+ is a new formulation of food-grade ingredients. Our toothpaste fights plaque and reduces tartar which improves oral hygiene and freshens breath. This product has also been tested in vitro for it’s effectiveness. *Study available upon request.
- [ TESTED FOR EFFICACY ] Based on in vitro testing against 7 different pet oral bacteria and in comparison to 4 competitor toothpastes*, bluestem toothpaste was found to be very effective. Study available upon request.
- [ A TRUSTED COMPANY ] As fellow pet owner's and lovers we understand the importance of safe products for our furry little friends, that's why our products are made and tested in our laboratories here in North America. Our mission is to make sure we are looking out for your pets’ long term health.
- [ SAFE FOR DOGS AND CATS ] We've gone the extra mile to ensure that our pet toothpaste and toothbrush are safe for your pet. Our food-grade ingredients are alcohol-free, xylitol-free, and sugar-free. Dogs will like the chicken flavored toothpaste and humans will like their pets healthy mouth and fresh breath. IT'S A WIN - WIN. For optimal results, use in combination with bluestem water additive and bluestem oral spray.
- [ DUAL ENDED TOOTHBRUSH ] Our dual ended toothbrush allows the pet parent to reach both the inside and outside of the teeth at the same time. With our toothbrush and toothpaste combo you will be surprised at how enjoyable it is for your pet. If you're looking for the best dog gifts of 2018, then why not surprise them with this great pet friendly product. Your pet or pet lover will be thrilled to receive this dog present for their birthday or even as a Christmas present.
6. Best Finger Toothbrush for Chihuahua: Barkley's 360º Dog Fingerbrush Toothbrush
Barkley’s food-grade, BPA-free, phthalate-free, and 100% silicone finger brushes are ideal for cleaning small dog mouths as they reach deep within and get the back and front of all teeth.
These finger brushes are perfect for you especially if your pet hates having toothbrushes stuck inside its mouth!
They are also ideal for people with thick or thin fingers – you simply need to add a few drops of water to create a tight seal of the brush with your finger.
This will help you grip the brush properly so you can completely clean your pet’s teeth within minutes. Moreover, its silicone bristles are soft-yet-slightly-abrasive – hence very efficient in removing plaque.
Your petite pet will love getting brushed with these gentle finger brushes!
Last but not the least, you can easily clean the brushes by boiling them in hot water.
What we like about it
- High-quality, durable
- Soft and gentle for small pets
- Easy to use and clean
- Finger brushes stay on well
What we don’t like
- Slightly tedious to put on and take off.
- 360º DESIGN - Patented design allows easy cleaning of the entire mouth with just a few swipes. Pet owners can finally provide a thorough teeth cleaning for their dog or cats' with ease.
- FOR SMALL & LARGE PETS - Compact design works well on smaller dogs, cats, and puppies. Also works great for larger dogs as long as your finger can reach their teeth. Note: it ma not work as well on extremely small pets, such as toy breeds.
- FITS THIN & THICKER FINGERS - JUST ADD WATER! - Adding a few drops of water inside makes the silicone expand for larger fingers, and creates a seal for smaller fingers - no more slipping off in your pet's mouth!
- SOFT AND GENTLE FOR SENSITIVE PETS- Silicone bristles are softer than traditional bristles, but abrasive enough to remove plaque. The gentle nature of fingerbrushes tend to be more accepted by pets.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE - 100% Silicone is BPA and Phthalate-free.
How to Choose the Best Toothbrush for Chihuahua?
As a Chi owner, you want nothing but the best for your pet.
But how do you select the best toothbrush for Chihuahua? Here are the features to look for in your best toothbrush for Chihuahua:
1. Right size with soft and small bristle area
Your Chihuahua needs a small toothbrush that can easily enter your pet’s tiny mouth.
Its bristles should be soft and gentle yet effective in removing plaque and tartar.
Most importantly, the bristle area itself should be small so it won’t overwhelm or injure your pet’s mouth while also easily reaching the teeth at the back.
If you have a dog that chews on its toothbrush, then make sure that the bristles and handles can withstand that chewing.
Even if your pet is not a chewer, the bristles should not get frayed or damaged and should give you good service for several months. (Replace your doggy’s toothbrush every three months).
3. Angular, 360-degree, or moving head
A toothbrush with angled or moving head can help remove tartar from all sides of the tooth. You can also opt for 360-degree brushes as they help you clean all sides of the teeth, in the front and back of your pet’s small mouth, with greater ease.
Moreover, these features also enhance the brush’s maneuverability and cover a wider area in few strokes.
This way, you can get your pet’s teeth clean within minutes.
4. Comfortable and ergonomically designed handle
The brush you choose should also be comfortable for you to hold.
Its handle should be anti-slip, offer a superior grip, and should be easy to maneuver around your pet’s mouth safely without hurting its gums.
Should I Brush My Chihuahua’s Teeth?
Here are the reasons why you should brush your Chihuahua’s teeth regularly (preferably every day or at least 2-3 times a week):
A. To prevent dental cavities
Without regular brushing, food particles can accumulate in between your pet’s teeth.
Over time, these particles harden into unsightly yellow buildup called calculus and tartar.
If left untreated, this buildup can eat away into the tooth’s enamel to cause cavities and periodontal disease which are very serious and painful issues for your pet.
B. For healthy gums
Your Chihuahua also needs regular dental brushing to keeps its gums healthy and prevent gingivitis which can cause bleeding gums.
Gingivitis is also extremely painful and can cost you heavily in terms of vet’s bills.
C. To protect your pet from a lot of potential pain
Finally, you must brush your Chi’s teeth regularly to prevent painful dental scaling, extractions, and other costly veterinary treatments.
These can be very painful for your pet and many of them are done under anesthesia.
Without proper care and regular brushing, your pet might even lose its teeth.
This can impact its digestion, appetite, and could lead to many health issues.
What are the Signs of Dental Problems in Chihuahuas?
Many Chihuahuas are good at hiding their pain and often you might not notice there is an issue until it is too late.
Watch out for the following signs of dental problems in your buddy:
1. Difficulty eating
If your pet is having dental trouble, it might not be able to eat dry food or kibble easily.
As a result, it might dread meal times or might stop eating. You will notice a drop in its weight or its disposition and energy levels.
2. Excess drooling and foul breath
One of the most common signs of gingivitis and dental caries is excess drooling and salivation.
This may also be accompanied by bad breath – more than usual – along with some nasal discharge and/or facial swelling under the eyes.
3. Visible dental and gumline changes
Your dog’s teeth might also appear yellow, brown, and some teeth might even break off or fall off completely.
When there are loose and missing teeth, your pet won’t be able to eat properly. Your pet’s gums might also appear to bleed or may be red, painful, and swollen.
4. Pawing the face repeatedly
When your Chi is in pain due to gingivitis or a dental abscess, it might paw, scratch its face and mouth area.
Needless to say, this can be painful for you and your pet.
How Do I Get Rid of My Chihuahua’s Bad Breath?
There are a number of things you can do to eliminate your Chihuahua’s bad breath:
A. Regular brushing
There is no way around it.
You must brush your pet’s teeth at least 2-3 times a week, even more if possible.
Brushing can prevent bad breath as well as a lot of potential misery and pain for your pet – not to mention the costly expenses of professional dental cleanings.
B. Add water additives
Many high-quality dog dental water additives are available these days that help eliminate bad breath and give your pet a fresher mouth.
We recommend Bodhi Pet Store’s Peppermint Flavored Dog Dental Water Additive. It eliminates plaque, tartar, and bad breath as well.
C. Provide dental chews
The best dental chews for Chihuahuas can eliminate tartar, plaque, and also freshen up its breath.
One dental chew per day can keep many dental issues away for your Chi. However, it is not a replacement for brushing.
D. Provide chew toys
Your Chi will love rope/food-grade plastic chew toys and it also loves to spend time with you.
What better way to play with your pet and also clean its teeth in one go! Cleaner teeth also means fresher breath.
Check out our guide on the best toys for Chihuahua where we have discussed some good chew toys.
E. Feed high-quality kibble
While this may not eliminate bad breath, it will improve your pet’s overall health.
Crunchy kibble is also better for removing plaque and tartar than wet or canned food.
F. Schedule regular dental checkups at the vet
Once a year, get your pet’s teeth examined and cleaned by your vet.
This can eliminate bad breath as well as other potentially expensive treatments.
Also Read: Are Dentastix Good for Dogs?
How Often Should I Brush my Chihuahua’s Teeth?
Vets recommend brushing thrice a week as a minimum to prevent tartar formation.
Many fastidious pet parents are even known to brush their pet’s teeth twice a day. This is a surefire way to keep your pet’s breath fresh and teeth and gums healthy.
Tips for Brushing Your Chihuahua’s Teeth
1. Establish a routine
Brush your pet’s teeth daily at the same time.
Select a calm time when you are not busy and when your kids have settled down. Keep things calm and peaceful.
Brush your pet’s teeth in a well-lit area so you can see your pet’s teeth while brushing.
2. Use good toothbrush and toothpaste
Your Chi will be more likely to cooperate when it likes the toothpaste’s flavor.
Select a chicken/beef flavored paste with a safe and gentle toothbrush. Use our recommendations above.
3. Follow the correct technique of brushing
Start with the front teeth. Brush them thoroughly and go from the front to the back. All along, talk in a soothing voice and praise your pet.
Use a finger brush, if needed, to access the back side of the mouth.
4. Keep things positive
Do not scold or be harsh with your pet.
If your Chi is not in a mood or happens to be sleepy, avoid brushing and wait for another time when it is more cooperative.
Praise and reward your pet so it looks forward to the daily routine.
The best toothbrush for Chihuahua is small, soft, and can be easily used to clean its tiny mouth.
Its gentle bristles effectively clean your pet’s teeth without hurting its gums.
We recommend the V-Turboway 360-Degree Brush because of its tiny head, soft bristles, and 360-degree movement which provides wider coverage of all teeth in the front and backside of your pet’s mouth.
Do check out our other recommendations as well!