If you have been wondering how to feed your cat wet food while away, we have some great tips for you in this guide.
As a pet parent, you’d endlessly worry about your cats when you have to leave them for an urgent trip or for that annual family vacation.
It is but natural to get anxious about leaving your cat/s home alone for prolonged periods of time.
Things are even trickier when your cat only eats/prefers wet or canned food.
Thankfully, there are several ways to go about this.
In this guide, we have some tips and products that can help you feed your cat its favorite wet food when you have to leave it home alone for a few days.
(Please note that we strongly recommend that you board your cat or have someone come over to feed it, if you have to leave your pet for more than 3-4 days.) After all, your pet’s safety is paramount.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top reviewed products for how to feed cat wet food while away:
- Casfuy Automatic 5-Meal Cat Feeder
- SurePet Pet Feeder with Microchip
- Cat Mate C300 3-Meal Cat Feeder
- Veken Pet Water Fountain/Water Dispenser
- PetSafe Top-Entry Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box
How to Feed a Cat Wet Food While Away (General Tips)
1) Use an automatic cat feeder
An automatic cat feeder is a boon for busy cat parents that have to leave their pets home alone for several hours or a couple of days.
(In the next section, we have described exactly how you can go about using the best automatic cat feeders. We have also recommended a few products that you can check out, further below.)
It is ideal for wet food feeding since it comes with ice trays that can keep food fresh for hours.
You also have the option to choose between wet or dry food dispensers or feeders. Some models dispense both: wet and dry foods.
Automatic cat feeders are great for wet food feeding since they come with ice packs (or you can use some separately) that help keep the food fresh longer.
You can time the automatic feeders to open/dispense food at a pre-set hour.
You can also customize the quantity of food to dispense based on your pet’s feeding habits, age, weight etc.
Check out our guide on the best automatic wet cat food dispenser.
2) Request a friend/neighbor
Have a friend or neighbor to come over to feed your cat.
You can leave several wet cat food packs with them.
All they have to do is microwave/warm the food slightly and serve it to your pet. (Some cats don’t even need their food warm. Do let your friend know how your cat likes its food).
If the said person can only come over once in the day to feed, you might want to leave dry food outside for your pet during the day and have the friend over at night to feed the wet food – or vice-a-versa)
It is a good idea to demonstrate how you feed your pet to your friend once before you leave so they will know exactly how your cat likes its meals.
3) Arrange for a professional cat sitter
There are professional pet sitters who can come over to feed your pet.
This is a great option for people who have to go away for several days and don’t know anyone in town who can come over and feed their cat.
A professional pet sitting service is very reliable so you can rest assured that your pet will be well-looked after. The sitter can even come over 2-3 times to check on your pet.
On the downside, this is a costly option, and many professional sitters charge by the hour or per visit.
4) Get your cat used to wet and dry food
There is no other way around this.
Your cat would do better on dry food when you have to travel and leave your pet home alone. The simple reason being: dry food can last longer outside compared to wet or canned food.
A few days before your trip, get your pet used to dry cat food.
You can then leave several bowls of dry cat food outside for your cat to feed on when it gets hungry and not have to worry about it starving.
Nowadays, there are many options in high-quality and tasty dry cat food. Your pet is literally spoilt for choice and you can always find something that meets your pet’s taste preferences.
Speak to your vet about the right dry food for your pet based on its health profile, age, weight, etc.
5) Board your pet
In case you have to leave your indoor cat home alone for several days, it is best that you board it at a local kennel or pet hostel service.
This is a guaranteed way to ensure that your cat is well-fed and looked after.
Hand over your cat’s favorite wet food cans along with instructions on how often to feed your pet
Good hostels also send you regular messages and video updates about your pet so you know how they are doing at all times. This can guarantee peace of mind.
Also Read: How Long Can Cats Go Without Food and Water
How to Feed Cat Wet Food While Away (Based on the Number of Days you Plan to Be Away)
One-Day – Use an automatic cat feeder
In case you plan to leave your cat alone for an entire day, you can use an automatic cat feeder.
If you leave around 8 am, program the automatic cat food feeder with wet food along with ice packs. This will take care of your cat’s meal for that day.
(We would not recommend depending entirely on automatic cat feeders for over 48 hours as the food is bound to spoil. Please avoid the risk.)
High-quality wet cat food feeders have the capacity to hold up to 6 ounces of 5 or 6 wet/semi-wet meals for your cat.
Depending on your cat’s age, weight, and feeding schedules, as well as the number of cats you own, you can fill a few or all of the feeder’s bowls with its favorite wet cat food.
The feeders will open at a pre-set time (as you program it) so your cat/s will only get the portions at the scheduled time.
We strongly urge that you have a friend/neighbor come over to ensure that your cat/s actually eat.
After all, like with any machine, automatic feeders could fail – no matter how much the manufacturers guarantee us of their reliability.
We also recommend placing as many feeders as the number of cats you have. This way, no cat will go hungry.
It is also a good idea to place some dry food around too, just in case.
Make sure to leave plenty of fresh water (or water fountains) for your cats to drink from.
Two Day -or a Weekend getaway
Day 1 place wet food in automatic food feeder along with ice packs. This should take care of your pet’s two meals.
Day 2 have a friend to come over in the morning to set up wet food for the day again. Ask if your friend can check on your cat again in the evening or sometime during the day.
Don’t forget to place some dry food along with your cat’s favorite treats so it can feed freely just in case it gets hungry throughout the day.
Make sure there is plenty of fresh water for your pet available at all times. You can use a water fountain or cat water filter dispenser to ensure fresh water supply for your pet.
More than 3 days
In case you have to leave your cat for more than three days, we strongly recommend that you board your cat or have a cat sitter come over.
If that isn’t an option, you can try to introduce dry cat food to your pet so that it will take to dry cat food while you are away.
If using dry cat food, you can use automatic cat food dispensers at ease but it will be better if you also arrange a friend to come over to check on your cat and to help change the cat litter.
5 Must-have Products to Take Care of Your Cat When You Have to Leave it Home Alone for Several Days
Automatic Cat Food Dispenser – 2022 Top 3 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Casfuy 5-meals Automatic Cat Feeder - Auto Pet Feeder with Programmable Timer Dry and Wet Food Dispenser Voice Recorder & Speaker for Cat and Small Medium Dog Portion Control Dual Power Supply 5x240ml
Casfuy is an automatic wet cat food feeder that can help ensure your cat gets its wet food to eat at pre-set hours.
It is ideal for feeding wet food as it prevents the food from drying out. You can also separately purchase ice packs to place under its wet food trays in order to keep it fresh longer.
It consists of five 240-ml compartments. This means you can easily program it for 2 days if your cat eats twice a day – with one meal left over.
You can record your voice (10 second recording capacity) which will let you call out to your pet at its meal time. This way, your cat knows when it is time to eat and also get the comfort feeling that you are nearby!
This reliable feeder has battery as well as power-adapter operations so you need not worry about power failures.
Casfuy is easy to clean, BPA-free, and safe and easy to use.
- SCHEDULE PET FOOD TIMES AND PORTIONS: Casfuy pre-programmable pet feeder features a built-in timer and multiple sections to help you feed your pet up to 5 meals per day, control their portions, and create a routine feeding schedule even with your busy schedule.
- 5 ISOLATED WET AND DRY FOOD SECTIONS: Casfuy automatic pet food dispensers are made of BPA-free ABS materials care for your pet's health. Dishwasher safe and easy to clean. Each compartment has a capacity of 240 ml for storing dry/wet food, or tasty treats to help nourish cat and small & medium sized dogs when you're at work, traveling, or on a short vacation.(Clarification: No ice pack is included.)
- LEAVE PERSONALIZED PET MESSAGES: Each Casfuy pet food dispenser has a built-in voice recorder that lets you capture up to 10 seconds of your voice, so you can leave comforting messages for your pet that play when they're eating.
- USER-FRIENDLY LCD DISPLAY: Casfuy automatic pet feeder lets you create retentive feeding plans with simple, easy-to-follow programming that's perfect for pet owners. Note: 1. All settings must be done under unlock state which LCD backlights blue. 2. Casfuy auto cat feeder runs on a 24 hour sechedule.
- DUAL POWER SUPPLY: The Casfuy automatic feeding system uses both C batteries and a power adapter to keep your feeder working even if the power goes out. We've included a DC power adapter to get you started. Backup power, the 4 C-size batteries, is not included.
2. Sure Petcare -SureFlap - SureFeed - Microchip Pet Feeder - Selective-Automatic Pet Feeder Makes Meal Times Stress-Free, Suitable for Both Wet and Dry Food - MPF001
The best part about Sure PetCare SureFlap-SureFeed pet feeder is its tight seal which keeps food fresh longer by retaining moisture.
It can hold 2 to 2.5 cups of dry food or two cans of 5.5 ounces of wet food. This means it is suitable for one-day’s trip only- assuming that your pet eats twice a day.
Sure PetCare SureFlap-SureFeed pet feeder is ideal for multi-pet homes because it comes with a microchip which you can preprogram to only open for one pet.
Guarantee yourself peace of mind with this great feeder.
- Key Benefits: Prevents food stealing and stress at mealtimes in multi-pet homes, keeps your pets healthier by controlling portions and helping to keep weight under control, saves money by not overfeeding expensive prescription foods and helping to avoid vet bills related to pet health conditions.
- Great for Pets on Prescription Diets: Holds 13.5 fl. oz, wet or dry pet food. The lid closes to form a seal with the neoprene lip, helping to retain moisture and to keep food fresher longer.
- Microchip Compatibility: Works with 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers; if unsure of your pet’s microchip number, you can check with your veterinarian, pet shelter or animal rescue. Automatic Cat Feeder opens when the assigned pet microchip ID approaches, and closes when it moves away. Simple one button programming.
- Three Year Warranty. Veterinarian Recommended.
- Do you have a houseful of pets? Does one cat steal the other’s cat food? Does your dog steal the cat’s food? Stressful Feeding times? The Microchip Pet Feeder makes feeding times so much easier! It uses the pet’s Microchip ID or by wearing a lightweight RFID collar tag to communicate with the feeder to open for that specific pet. All feeders come standard with one tag (unit stores 32 ID’s); additional collar tags can be purchased separately if necessary. Ideally one feeder per pet.
The Cat Mate C300 holds 11.5 ounces of wet food (or 330g x 3 of dry food) for three meals. This means that this timed cat feeder is ideal for people who have to leave their pet home alone for a day and a half.
Cat Mate C300 comes with a cooling ice pack to keep wet food fresh longer. Its battery indicator is convenient and reliable so you know when you need to change weak batteries. (It needs 3x AA batteries)
- Material-Plastic. Three food compartments will serve up to three meals, one initial feed and two further timed feeds while you are away. Each holds 11. 5 ounces wet food.
- removable, easy-to-clean cover and bowl (also dishwasher-safe)
- battery status indicator. One cooling ice pack and one close-fitting cover keep the feed fresh
- uses 3 x AA batteries (not included)
- 3 year
4. Veken Pet Fountain, 84oz/2.5L Automatic Cat Water Fountain Dog Water Dispenser with 3 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats, Dogs, Multiple Pets, Blue
Vets recommend that cats weighing up to 4 kg should drink at least 250 ml water or one cup per day.
With the Veken Pet Fountain, you can ensure feeding clean and fresh drinking water to your cat while you are gone.
This fountain has a capacity of 2.5 liters with three different flow modes and a three-stage filtration system (activated carbon layer, cotton layer, and ion exchange resin layer) that remove contaminants and chemicals from water.
Your pet can enjoy delicious refreshing, healthy, and tasty water whenever it needs and options like gentle waterfall and flower bubble will keep it entertained as well.
Veken pet fountain is BPA free, easy to clean, and easy to use.
- Ultra-quiet & low consumption pump – The Veken pump is ultra-quiet (measured below 40dB) and low consumption which means that it normally lasts between 1.5 - 2 years!
- 2.5L large capacity – It has a water capacity of 2.5 liters (84 ounces), which means that it is great for small to medium sized pets. The circulation system helps provide healthy and hygienic water for beloved pets all day.
- BPA free & quality material – Made of quality PP resin, this automatic water bowl is BPA free, durable, and it’s easy to operate and clean. Furthermore, each fountain comes with 1 silicone pad to catch splashing water from spills.
- 3 different flow designs – Veken Pet Fountain has 3 modes: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain. Each mode is specifically designed to meet the needs of various pets. The free-falling stream and bright color will attract curious pets to check it out.
- Triple filtration system – The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of activated carbon, ion exchange resin and non-woven fabric, forming a triple filtration system to help keep your pets healthy and hydrated.
Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
5. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box – Automatic with Disposable Tray – Taupe Covered
PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter boxes will ease your friend/pet-sitter’s task of cleaning away the dirty litter while you are away.
It does not require scooping, cleaning, lifting and litter changes for weeks!
PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter also comes with liners for preventing urine seepage and messy floors.
It uses pre-portioned crystal litter that offers superior odor control as well.
Dimensions of the box are: 27.5 x 19 x 17 inches which is ideal for cats weighing up to 25 lbs.
- AUTOMATICALLY REMOVES WASTE: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your cat's litter box for weeks
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing urine and dehydrating solid waste
- NO MORE MESSY FLOORS: Low-tracking crystals are 99% dust free and don’t stick to your cat’s paws; a hooded cover helps keep kitty litter inside the box
- LEAK PROTECTION: Disposable trays have a plastic lining to help protect against leaking and keep your floors clean
- EASY CLEANUP: Simply remove the tray and throw it away; each tray includes a lid for quick disposal
It is not easy leaving your pet home alone. If you are wondering how to feed cat wet food while away then an automatic cat feeder can help, to an extent.
We recommend the Casfuy 5-meal cat feeder which can easily hold five canned meals. It prevents wet food from drying out and you can use ice packs with it to keep food fresh longer. Casfuy cat feeder can be a great option when you have to leave your cat for a day or two.
We hope this guide helps you feed your pet with ease. Do check out the other products mentioned above.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “thp20-20”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “Best Automatic Cat Food Dispenser”;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “PetSupplies”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “2ea434e550820a0746d0e1441e2ac699”;
amzn_assoc_default_browse_node = “2619533011”;