The best cat food for older cats with bad teeth is easier on your aging pet’s gums, easy to swallow, and perfect for cats with missing/broken/loose/no teeth.
While canned or wet food is the best option for cats with dental issues, some cats still continue to demand dry food.
That is why we have included both – wet and dry cat foods – in our list of best cat food for older cats with bad teeth.This way, you will always find something for your senior cat who’s getting picky on food.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best cat food for older cats with bad teeth:
- Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse Silky Smooth Wet Cat Food
- Purina Fancy Feast Tender Minced Chicken - Canned Cat Food
- Stella & Chewy's Dinner Morsels Freeze-Dried Cat Food
- Blue Buffalo Healthy Aging Soft & Small Cat Food Pellets
- Hill's Science Diet Senior Cat Food Small Kibble
Best Cat Food for Older Cats with Bad Teeth – 2021 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse Silky Smooth Wet Cat Food
Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse cat food, as its name indicates, has a velvety soft texture that makes it the ideal soft food for cats with no teeth.
It is different than other canned food or wet cat food because it is pureed and not pate or chunks or slices in gravy.
Are you a curious cat parent? Here are some comments about this great food from people having an elderly cat with no teeth:
The creamy mousse with its lick-able texture is a great option for my completely toothless cat!
My 15 year old cat with no teeth loves this food!
Glad to have this great velvety food for my rescue cat without any teeth at all!
You can choose from salmon or chicken flavors and each variety is grain-free, making it ideal for cats with sensitivities or digestion-related issues.
Tiki Cat mousse food provides 100% balanced nutrition for adult cat as well as kittens without any teeth and especially for those with sensitive mouths, oral lesions, etc.
It is an added advantage that is food is high in animal protein to help provide your cat with lean muscles and energy it needs to remain active all day.
What we like about it
- Soft, velvety mousse texture is excellent for toothless cats
- High moisture, high protein content
- Delicious flavors for picky eaters
What we don’t like
- Pouch packaging is terrible. Lot of food sticks to the insides, is difficult to get out, and wastes a lot. Packets are also not recyclable.
- GRAIN FREE NUTRITION – Made with real chicken and Salmon, Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse offers delicious nutrition
- NUTRIENT RICH CAT FOOD - Real meat is the first ingredient, giving your cat the nutrition, she needs and the taste she loves
- HIGH MOISTURE WET CAT FOOD – Count on the high moisture content of Tiki Cat Velvet Mouse to give your cat the supplemental water she needs
- HIGH PROTEIN INGREDIENTS – Your cat is a carnivore, so feed her the animal protein she craves most
- BALANCED WET FOOD – Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse provides complete nutrition and delicious flavors for your cat, no matter her age or life stage
Our next pick in the category of the best cat food for older cats with bad teeth is Purina’s Fancy Feast with minced chicken in gravy.
It contains tender minced chicken in gravy which your toothless/semi-toothless cat can easily chew with its gums. Your pet will also love to lick the tasty and flavorful gravy for optimal satiety.
Here are some comments from real cat parents about this cat food for older cats with teeth problems:
Easy on my cat that has no teeth!
Best cat food for my cat that has only three teeth left!
This is the only food that my old cat with very bad teeth can eat with ease.
Your aging cat will also get balanced nutrition from this high-quality pet food. Each can provides tailored nourishment to an adult cat aged 7 and above.
Purina Fancy Feast wet cat food also contains antioxidants like Vitamin E to boost overall health and well-being and also taurine for your pet’s heart health.
What we like about it
- Soft, tender pate texture for ease of eating
- Protein rich and grain-free with real chicken
- Tailored to provide balanced nutrition to cats 7+ and above
- Made in USA
What we don’t like
- A few cans contained small fish bones which could hurt a cat’s gums.
- Twenty-Four (24) 3 oz. Cans - Purina Fancy Feast High Protein Senior Gravy Wet Cat Food, Chicken Feast Minced Senior 7+
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats age 7 and up
- Tailored nutrition to help meet senior cats’ special needs
- Includes antioxidants to support immune system health
- Contains taurine, an essential amino acid for cats
Freeze-dried food is always easier on cat’s gums and teeth, especially if your cat has had oral surgery to have its teeth removed.
Hundreds of cat parents recommend Stella & Chewy’s freeze-dried raw morsels as a life-saver cat’s diet for old cats with very bad teeth issues.
There are a number of ways to serve this food to your pet: break up the morsels and serve over your cat’s canned food, or simply powder it in the blender and add water so it becomes like pate-texture which cats love, or simply serve it as is. Your cat is sure to love all three styles of serving!
Stella & Chewy’s contains nutrients and real nourishment for your pet without fillers to promote healthy digestion.
There is 98% chicken/meat (depending on the flavor you select), so your cat gets all the protein it needs for lean muscle maintenance.
Being free from grains, hormones, antibiotics, and other unnecessary ingredients, it is also easy to digest for a sensitive cat with allergies.
Hundreds of toothless old cats have regained their energy levels and appetite, reduced allergies, and increased their stamina on this food.
What we like about it
- Soft morsels which can be softened further with water.
- Crumbles and powders easily to serve over wet food or blend with water for a pate-like texture
- Real nutrition without hormones, fillers, antibiotics
- Reduced allergies, improved stamina, increased appetite in ailing senior cats
What we don’t like
- Morsels powder easily which can sometimes lead to wastage.
- Only the good stuff! Cats naturally crave meat, much like they ate in the wild. That's why every batch of Chick, Chick, Chicken Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels cat food contains 98 percent cage-free chicken, organs and bone, plus taurine and probiotics for dietary health and eating as nature intended. All ingredients are responsibly sourced
- Made in the USA - Stella and Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Chick, Chick, Chicken Dinner's all-natural recipe is crafted with care in small batches in Stella and Chewy’s own USA kitchen to provide the highest levels of protein-rich meat and quality nutrition for your cat
- All-natural and minimally processed. Because the closer foods stay to their natural state, the better they are. That's why each of Stella and Chewy's Dinner Morsels recipes contains no added hormones, antibiotics, grains or fillers. Best of all, it's 100 percent complete and balanced for all life stages
- Raw nutrition and convenience - your pet deserves to thrive on real, raw meat. Now, Stella and Chewy's makes it easier than ever to give your pet real raw nutrition with the convenience of freeze-dried
- Supports better health for your pet with improved appetite and digestion, relief from allergies, vibrant skin and coat, healthy teeth and gums, greater stamina and vitality and a healthy immune system
Blue Buffalo Healthy Aging Mature cat food is specially formulated to meet the dietary needs of senior cats that prefer dry food.
Its kibble pellets are soft and small and most aging cats without teeth or even cats with dental issues are able to pick it up and eat it with ease.
Blue Buffalo Healthy Mature cat food is protein-rich with real chicken as its number one ingredient. Also, it contains vitamins and antioxidants in the form of the brand’s patented Lifesource® bits to improve an aging pet’s quality of life.
Blue Buffalo cat food also supports your cat’s vision, heart health, and immunity, and provides your pet with the energy it needs to stay healthy and active.
What we like about it
- Small and soft kibble pellet size which is easy for cats with no teeth
- Helps maintain lean muscle mass in aging cats
- Excellent ingredients, flavor, and taste ideal for picky indoor cat
- Antioxidants, taurine, and protein-rich
What we don’t like
- Caused gas and smelly poop in a small percentage of cats.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo dry cat food always features real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your cat maintain strong muscles; Plus, it contains wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR MATURE CATS: BLUE Healthy Aging mature cat food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to satisfy energy requirements for a healthy lifestyle; Plus, it contains taurine to support heart and eye health in aging cats
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: BLUE dry cat food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 7-lb. bag of BLUE Healthy Aging Natural Mature Dry Cat Food, Chicken & Brown Rice
Most dry cat foods have large kibble measuring over 7mm x 8mm. Hill’s Science Diet has made their kibble 6.5mm x 4mm which is easier to pick up for older cats without teeth.
This size is even smaller than the size of a US-penny!
Many cats even swallow this small-sized kibble without chewing and can still digest the food with ease. It helps that the formula consists mainly of chicken and brewer’s rice which are gentle on your aging cat’s digestion.
Since the food is made with natural ingredients under the supervision of vets and feline nutrition experts, you are sure that your cat is only getting the best dry food.
Hill’s Science Diet for the aging cat also contains omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants for healthy skin and coat. It also has fiber to prevent constipation and ease digestion in older cats.
Even cats with urinary and kidney issues do well on this food owing to its balanced sodium, magnesium, and phosphorus levels.
What we like about it
- Smaller than average kibble size – easy to pick and chew/swallow for cats with dental disease or without teeth
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Aids healthy digestion due to fiber content
- Contains taurine for vision and heart health
- Supports urinary/kidney health
What we don’t like
- Some cats lost weight on it. This could be due to the smaller kibble size. Speak to your vet about proper diet portions and serving sizes. (Don’t forget to check out our guide on High-Calorie Cat Food for Weight Gain in Skinny Cats).
- Provides cats 11 and older with taurine for heart health, and balanced minerals for bladder & kidney health
- Supports healthy skin and coat with vitamin E, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- An easily digestible dry cat food with natural fibers to support a mature cat's sensitive stomach
- Made with natural ingredients
- Mix up meal time with Hill's Science Diet Adult 11+ Healthy Cuisine Seared Tuna & Carrot Medley
What are the Causes of Tooth Loss in Cats?
Dental disease and gum disease are common in older cats.
It is estimated that nearly 80% senior cats suffer from some kind of dental problems by the time they are 7 years of age.
In many cases, normal aging is to blame. The following causes can also lead to tooth loss in cats:
1) Periodontal disease
Periodontal disease in cats starts with an inflammation of the gums. It can lead to gingivitis and, if left untreated, tooth loss.
Poor oral hygiene, improper diets, aging, and genetic reasons can cause this condition.
2) Improper oral hygiene
Most cats suffer from bad teeth and dental issues because of improper oral care and hygiene at home as well as sugary/carb-laden foods.
You must brush your cat’s teeth regularly to prevent bad breath and tartar buildup. Tartar accumulates on your cat’s teeth which hardens and starts eating into the dental enamel. Without intervention, your cat might need surgical removal of the affected painful teeth.
3) Poor diets
Cereal-rich and sugary or carb-laden foods often lead to tartar and plaque formation.
However, vets are divided about which type of food is more responsible for plaque and tartar resulting in bad teeth.
Some believe that wet food sticks to the teeth more.
Others believe that dry food kibble does not always ‘clean’ off the plaque in your cat’s teeth as the food manufacturers advertise.
Then there is one line of thought that chunky raw foods naturally ‘brush’ the plaque off the enamel to give your cat beautiful, healthy teeth.
In any case, irrespective of what your cat eats, it still boils down to how well you care for its teeth on a regular basis.
Also Read: Toys for Teething Kittens
What Should You Feed a Cat with Missing or No Teeth?
A) Wet/canned food
Vets recommend feeding wet or canned food for cats having dental issues.
Canned food contains gravy, minced, or pureed texture which is easier for your aging pet to swallow without chewing.
Avoid chunky gravies which a toothless cat might still find difficult to eat.
Look for shreds/thin slices/minced meat in gravy or pureed mousse textures which toothless cats will enjoy licking.
B) Soft dry cat food
Soft dry cat food is also a great choice for cats with missing or no teeth.
This kibble is usually softer than the regular hard kibble. Its size is also smaller compared to the larger size in most cat foods.
The best soft dry cat food contains more moisture and could be baked to render it lighter and crunchier. Cats without teeth can easily scoop it up and swallow soft cat food without having to hurt their gums.
Since cats have their preferences, it helps to let your cat make the decision between soft dry or completely wet food.
Also Read: Best Soft Dry Cat Food for Older Cats
How to Select the Best Cat Food for Older Cats with Bad Teeth?
Toothless old cats can still live long and healthy lives when feda proper diet.
Here are some features to look for in the best cat food for older cats with bad teeth
1) Is either wet or soft dry
Based on your cat’s preferences, look for a high-quality wet food or food that has soft dry texture.
Note that some older cats without teeth might still prefer kibble or dry food.
Accordingly, you can go in for a minced wet food or crunchier and small-sized kibble that your cat finds easy to scoop and swallow.
2) Provides real nutrition
Your aging cat still needs all the nourishment it can get to extend and improve its quality of life.
So, look for a food that provides real protein and antioxidants.
Avoid foods with fillers, preservatives, and colors that offer only ‘empty’ calories without real nourishment.
Older cats need taurine for heart and omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. A high-quality soft food for cats with no teeth should ideally provide all this and more.
The foods we have recommended above all provide high-quality nutrition and contain these nutrients as well.
3) Take into account your cat’s overall health profile
Make sure you also take into account other health requirements of your cat.
For example, cats with kidney or urinary issues might need food with balanced electrolytes.
Similarly, cats having renal impairment or liver disease might be prescribed low-protein foods.
Speak to your vet to decide the best cat food for older cats with teeth problems and other health issues.
Also Read: Best Cat Food for Kidney Disease
The best cat food for older cats with bad teeth may be soft dry or minced, wet, mousse, and even semi-soft or freeze dried.
Regardless of the type you choose, they are all easy on a toothless cat’s gums and easy to scoop, lick, chew, or swallow as is.
We recommend the Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse which has a pureed, baby-food like consistency that toothless cats or even cats/kittens with few/broken/loose/missing teeth are known to love. It also provides real nutrition along with a high moisture and protein content that cats require.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “thp20-20”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “best cat food for older cats with bad teeth “;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “PetSupplies”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “2ea434e550820a0746d0e1441e2ac699”;
amzn_assoc_default_browse_node = “2619533011”;