The best dog food for French bulldog with skin allergies typically contains single, highly digestible protein source with prebiotics and probiotics for healthy digestion and enhanced gut microflora.
It also ideally contains balanced omegas and vitamins for promoting healthy skin barrier.
We have listed 5 such foods (both dry and wet) for your sensitive French bulldog.
These foods have received great reviews from pet parents and some of them have been recommended by vets as well.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best dog food for French bulldog with skin allergies:
- Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach
- Royal Canin French Bulldog Breed Specific Food
- Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dry Dog Food
- Nulo Grain-Free Small Breed Dog Food with Probiotic
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Canned Dog Food
Also Read: Do French Bulldogs Like to Cuddle
Best Dog Food for French Bulldog with Skin Allergies – 2021 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach
Purina Pro Plan contains salmon as its first ingredient. Most Frenchies are able to tolerate it well.
There is no corn, soy, wheat, artificial colors or flavors, and other allergens in this food, which makes it a great choice for French bulldogs with skin allergies.
Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin dry dog food also contains prebiotic fiber which promotes healthy digestion in your pet.
Its highly-digestible kibble also comes with a unique triangular shape that is easy for your small pet to pick up.
The other main ingredient in Purina Pro Plan is oat meal which is generally well-tolerated by sensitive dogs.
It also contains fish and sunflower oils which promote healthy skin and boost your pet’s joint health as well.
There is a wet version of this food if your pet likes gravy based foods. Check out Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Pate Wet Dog Food, FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach.
What we like about it
- Contains real salmon which is highly digestible protein
- Has limited ingredients
- No corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavors, etc.
- Promotes healthy immune function and digestion due to probiotics fiber
- Contains healthy oils for moisturized skin barrier.
What we don’t like
- Has a strong fishy odor.
- One (1) 16 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Salmon & Rice Formula
- Oat meal is easily digestible and gentle on the digestive system
- High protein formula, with real salmon as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- Used to be known as FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Many Frenchies thrive on this food from Royal Canin. It contains nearly 24% of highly digestible protein for lean muscle development.
The main ingredient in this food is Brewer’s rice followed by chicken meal both of which are generally well tolerated by most Frenchies.
For many sensitive French bulldogs with allergies, Royal Canin French Bulldog dry dog food helped reduce gas, stool odor, and skin allergies such as itching and hair loss. It even helped prevent ear infections.
Royal Canin French Bulldog dry food comes in the form of small kibble size that your Frenchie can easily pick up.
It is packed with healthy omega fatty acids and vitamins to support a healthy skin barrier and prevent infection in your pet’s wrinkles.
Please note that this food contains wheat and wheat gluten, so make sure that your pet is not allergic to them.
What we like about it
- Complete and balanced nutrition with single protein for Frenchies
- Healthy omegas and vitamins for healthy skin barrier
What we didn’t like
- Contains wheat and wheat gluten which some Frenchies are allergic to.
- Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred French Bulldogs 12 months and older
- Exclusive tailor-made kibble helps French Bulldogs easily pick up and chew their food
- Supports muscle tone with precise protein content and L-carnitine
- Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and wrinkles
- Helps reduce gas and stool odor with highly digestible proteins and precise fiber content
Hill’s Science Diet for small dog breeds like French bulldogs is specially formulated with precisely balanced limited ingredients and highly digestible proteins.
These features make it a great food for dogs with sensitive skin and digestion.
Hill’s also adds prebiotic fiber to this food to enhance digestive health of your Frenchie.
It also contains vitamin E and healthy balanced Omegas for nourishing your pet’s skin and coat.
Hill’s Science Diet is formulated with the help of vets and canine nutrition experts.
The company also makes this food in USA using premium and all-natural ingredients.
What we like about it
- Nutrition for optimal digestion and skin health
- Highly digestible formula for easier stool pickup
- Prebiotic for optimal microbiome and beneficial bacterial promotes healthy digestion
- Vitamin E and omega promotes skin health
What we don’t like
- Caused black, dry, and hard stools in some dogs.
- This dry dog food uses prebiotic fiber to feed your small dog's microbiome for optimal digestive health
- Vitamin E, omega 6 fatty acids and other nutrients in smaller kibble help nourish skin and promote a lustrous coat
- Dog food formulated with little dogs in mind to provide an optimal balance of nutrients specifically for miniature and toy breed dogs
- Precise balance and highly digestible ingredients for sensitive stomachs and for dogs with sensitive skin
- Made with natural ingredients
Here is what a French Bulldog owner had to say about their pet’s allergies after switching to Nulo Small Breed Dry Dog Food with Bc30 Probiotic:
This food has been a life saver for us! Our French bulldog has SO many allergies.
It has taken us two years to figure it out but he can’t have beef, chicken or turkey.
When we switched to this limited ingredient dog good his skin finally cleared up and his itching is now manageable. He gobbles it right up, so the taste must be ok for him!
Nulo is a grain-free dry dog food which is also free from corn, soy, preservatives, and artificial flavors.
There is no tapioca or potatoes in it. These are common allergens in dogs and can cause skin problems as well as digestive issues.
Nulo grain-free food also contains miscanthus grass along with Bc30 probiotic for enhanced digestive health of your pet.
Nearly 83% of protein in this food consists of an easy-to-digest protein source – mainly deboned salmon.
You also get turkey, lentils, and sweet potatoes which make a healthy and tasty kibble.
Your pet will definitely benefit from Nulo’s flaxseed content which provides balanced omegas for healthy skin.
It also contains vitamin E that nourishes your pet’s skin and forms a healthy skin barrier.
Balanced calcium, phosphorus and other minerals in Nulo grain-free dog food will give your pet healthy bones and teeth.
What we like about it
- Highly digestible protein without any grains
- Low carb, high protein
- Probiotic and miscanthus grass for optimal digestion
- Rich in skin nourishing vitamins, minerals, and omegas
- Small kibble easy to pick for Frenchies
What we don’t like
- Caused more bowel movements in some dogs as well as softer stools.
- GRAIN-FREE recipe contains no corn; wheat; soy; white potatoes; tapioca; artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives. Based in Austin, TX and proudly made in the USA.
- HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB proprietary formula 84% animal-based protein for more amino acids and better flavor. Nulo FreeStyle also uses fewer carbs and low glycemic ingredients like lentils, sweet potato and chickpeas.
- SMALLER KIBBLE SIZE promotes proper chewing, less choking and better digestion. Miscanthus grass provides natural fiber to satisfy the faster small breed appetite without overfilling the smaller stomach.
- PROMOTES WEIGHT MANAGEMENT through reduced carbohydrate intake and L-Carnitine supplementation. Dogs that maintain an ideal body weight live almost 2 years longer than overweight dogs.
- PATENTED BC30 PROBIOTIC supports healthy gut flora to aid tiny tummies in food digestion. This lactic-acid producing bacteria also helps regulate metabolism, which runs faster in smaller dog breeds.
Natural Balance LID or Limited Ingredients wet dog food is ideal for Frenchies with skin and digestive troubles.
It contains limited ingredients and is grain-free which reduces risk of allergies in sensitive pets.
You can choose from several flavors like chicken, lamb, buffalo, fish, and venison.
All varieties also contain sweet potato which provides natural fiber for healthy digestion.
There are no wheat, corn, soy, fillers, and preservatives in this great canned food making it ideal for dogs with skin allergies.
Moreover, it is complete balanced nutrition for adult dogs of all breeds and sizes.
What we like about it
- Formulated for healthy digestion
- Supports healthy skin
What we don’t like
- High cost per can.
- Cans often arrive dented. Inconsistent texture reported: sometimes too runny, other times dry.
- Contains (12) 13 Ounce Cans Of Wet Dog Food
- Complete, balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- Maintains digestive health
- Premium grain-free energy source
- Supports healthy skin and a shiny coat
What Factors Should You Consider When Selecting the Best Dog Food for French Bulldog with Skin Allergies?
Here are some features to look for in the best dog food for French bulldog with skin allergies:
A. It should contain an easy-to-digest protein
Select food with single or few protein sources that are easy to digest.
Most dog foods with salmon, turkey, and chicken are easily digestible for Frenchies.
However, some French bulldogs are known to be allergic to poultry, in which case you may want to avoid foods with eggs, chicken, turkey, and duck. You can go in for foods with salmon.
B. It should contain prebiotic/probiotics
Pre and probiotic improve your pet’s digestive health.
Prebiotic fiber also improves your pet’s stool consistency keeping it dry, small, and easy to pick.
High-quality probiotic improve your pet’s gut bacteria and balance its microbiome to improve immune function as well as digestive health.
As your pet’s digestive health improves, you will also see dramatic reduction in its skin allergies.
Also Read: Best Probiotic for Cats with IBD
C. It should contain Omega essential fatty acids
Omega essential fatty acids in the form or fish oil, flaxseeds, etc. help improve your pet’s skin and coat health.
When combined with other oils like vegetable oil and Vitamin E oil, your pet’s skin barrier also improves.
This reduces itching, dryness, dandruff, etc. and gives your pet softer, shinier, and healthier coat.
How Else Can I Treat My French Bulldog for Skin Allergies?
Apart from switching to the best dog food for French bulldog with skin allergies, you can also do the following to reduce and prevent skin allergies in your pet:
1. Switch to metal food bowls
Plastic food bowls could develop miniscule cracks which can accumulate bacteria. These can cause skin allergies and infections.
Switch to metal food and water bowls and make sure you clean them daily after use.
Also Read: Benefits of Elevated Dog Bowls.
2. Add coconut oil to your pet’s diet
Coconut oil can get rid of dandruff, dryness, and itching. You can use it topically (rub it into your pet’s coat) or feed a tablespoon of it daily to your pet.
3. Use apple cider vinegar
Spray diluted apple cider vinegar (mix it with water in 1:1 ratio) all over your pet’s itchy coat.
This will prevent bacterial and fungal issues and also give your pet a softer, shinier, and healthier coat.
You can also add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the final rinsing water at the time of bathing your pet.
4. Apply aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel will help soothe your pet’s itchy skin.
Apply pure aloe vera gel all over the itchy parts and let it dry naturally. Brush your pet’s coat with a soft brush to spread the gel all over.
5. Avoid treats with allergens
Apart from your pet’s main meals, you must also cut out treats which may be causing your pet’s skin allergies.
Learn to read food labels and avoid feeding your pet treats containing wheat gluten, corn, soy, etc.
6. Add anti-allergen supplements to your pet’s diet
Many French Bulldogs do well on anti-allergen supplements like Zesty Paws . It contains pre and probiotics for enhanced immune response and has been known to prevent itching and hot spots caused by environmental and seasonal allergens.
Also Read: Best Luxating Patella Dog Supplements
What are French Bulldogs Allergic to?
There are numerous factors that can cause skin allergies in your French bulldog:
A. Food allergens
Common food allergens for Frenchies are dairy, soy, wheat, certain kinds of seafood, beef, chicken, eggs, corn, and lamb.
Food allergies often manifest in the form of gastrointestinal disturbance like vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
They can also cause skin related problems like hot spots, intense itching, hives, rashes, bumps, etc.
B. Environmental allergens
Environmental allergens can also cause intense itch in your Frenchie’s wrinkled skin.
These include dander, pollen, dust mites, grasses, mold, fungal spores, and pollutants.
These allergens can cause symptoms like intense licking, scratching, biting, or chewing of the paws, ears, nose, and mouth and belly area.
Also Read: Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs with Gas
FAQs on Best Dog Food for French Bulldog with Skin Allergies
1. Why do French Bulldogs itch so much?
French bulldogs often have an itchy skin because of their heavy wrinkles. The wrinkles accumulate moisture, sweat, and dirt which can cause itching.
You must clean their wrinkles regularly through proper grooming.
Many Frenchies also have sensitive digestion. As a result, they cannot digest certain protein sources.
These food allergens can also make your pet very itchy.
Check with your vet to determine the exact allergen causing your pet’s itching.
Some environmental allergens like dust and mold could also be responsible.
2. Are French bulldogs allergic to carrots?
Carrots are not common allergens in dogs. In most cases, proteins and grains cause allergies in most Frenchies.
Having said that, no two French bulldogs are the same.
Your pet might be allergic to carrots which could cause vomiting, diarrhea, itching, bald patches, etc. Speak to your vet to rule out if that is the case.
3. Can French bulldogs eat oatmeal, cucumbers, and broccoli?
Cucumber and broccoli are good for dogs and most Frenchies tolerate them well.
Oatmeal is also a good source of protein and carbohydrates.
Always start small and watch out for allergic reactions. Avoid feeding foods that your pet develops an allergic reaction to.
Also Read: Best Treats for French Bulldogs
The best dog food for French bulldog with skin allergies contains a single protein source that is easy to digest.
It also contains probiotic and prebiotics to add beneficial gut micro-flora for enhanced digestion.
The food must also contain healthy omegas for nourished skin and coat.
Based on these factors, we recommend Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. It contains salmon as its first ingredient along with probiotics for improved digestive health. It is available as kibble as well as canned food.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.