The best soft dry cat food for cats with bad teeth has reasonably smaller and softer chunks of kibble which cats can easily ‘chew’ or scoop with their tongue.
Many cats prefer crunchy kibble but there may come a stage in their life where they can no longer eat large or hard kibble pieces.
The primary reason may be dental extractions of bad teeth, oral lesions, or loose and broken teeth.
Wet food is certainly an option for such cats, but you know how finicky cats can be. Many prefer dry food over wet canned food or even semi-moist foods even if they have bad teeth.
That is why, we are presenting a list of 5 of the best soft dry cat food for older cats and young kittens with poor dental health.
As stated earlier, these foods have smaller, crispier, and softer kibble or a combination of crunchy kibble with tender meaty morsels which young and old cats with few or no teeth can eat with ease.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best soft dry cat food for cats with bad teeth:
- Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food
- Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels For Cats
- ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Cat Food
- Purina ONE Tender Selects Blend Adult Dry Cat Food
- Purina Pro Plan Indoor Care Savor® Shredded Blend
Best Soft Dry Cat Food for Cats with Bad Teeth – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food
Meow Mix consists of dual-textured morsels of dry cat food – soft and tender on the inside and crunchy kibble on the outside. Cats with teeth problem like oral lesions and dental issues could easily eat this food without hurting their sore gums.
This soft food is cut to pieces which is small enough for cats and kittens to pick up and swallow easily.
Some cat owner and parents also mix the soft food with water and gravy to soften it up further. This way, it is even more easily palatable for toothless cats or cats with dental disease.
Made in the USA, Meow Mix crunchy-tender soft dry cat food is made with tuna and whitefish which cats love and can tolerate easily without allergic reactions or cause harm to cats with sensitive stomach.
This soft dry food provides 100% balanced nourishment to cats of all life-stages and provides all necessary vitamins and minerals to your pet.
What we like about it
- Dual-textured crunchy-outside-soft-inside kibble
- Easy-to-pick up and swallow small-sized pieces
- Delicious seafood flavors which cats love- food can be further softened with water or gravy without spoiling the flavor.
What we don’t like
- First ingredient isn’t meat but corn. (Check out some great options on Best High Protein Low Carb Cat Food).
- Contains (1) 13.5 pound bag of Dry Cat Food
- Dual-textured kibble combines a tender center with a crunchy outer layer
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
- Provides all essential vitamins and minerals
- Delicious tuna and whitefish flavors
You can serve Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Dinner morsels by rehydrating it with warm or cool water or even feed the food as is – it is tender and soft enough for cats with poor teeth and conditions such as tartar buildup or gum disease to eat with ease.
This is the diet of cats in the wild. Raw diet is gaining a lot of popularity and these dinner morsels will provide your cat-from kitten to elderly cat- with all the protein, taurine, and other vital nutrients it needs without sacrificing on taste or texture.
We love this soft food for being 100% free from antibiotics, fillers, colors, and preservatives.
It is also free from grains which is great for cats having digestive troubles, allergies, or pet food sensitivities.
What we like about it
- 98% meat! Soft, tender, chewy and ideal texture for cats with limited or no teeth.
- Balanced nutrition for all life-stages
- No artificial anything! Minimally processed and grain-free as well.
What we don’t like
- Lots of powdered morsels which some cats refuse to eat. The packaging needs to be improved to prevent this wastage.
- Irresistible Taste Cats Love: Cats are carnivores, and crave raw meat; these tasty dinner morsels mirror a cat’s ancestral diet to deliver a natural, protein-rich meal that they’ll surely love
- Real Raw Diet: Perfect for both cats and kittens, our Dinner Morsels are the most convenient way to feed the power of raw; these meals are great for cats with allergies and help support healthy digestion, strong teeth and gums, vibrant skin and coat, and stamina and vitality
- Picky Eater Approved: Cooked in small batches with only the finest ingredients, our nutrient-rich dinner morsels appeal to the pickiest cats and kittens
- 98% Poultry, Organs & Bone: Our Chick Chick Chicken recipe includes responsibly sourced meats such as cage-free chicken with ground bone, chicken liver and chicken gizzards
- Supports Whole Body Health: Fortified with vitamins and minerals, our Dinner Morsels formula helps improve your cat’s entire well-being, with fiber and probiotics for digestive support, antioxidants for immune support, and taurine for heart and vision health
ZIWI® slowly and carefully air-dries their animal protein meats and seafood to not only preserve their taste, flavor, and nutrition, but also their tenderness. Cats with no teeth are surely going to appreciate this best soft dry cat food for cats with no teeth.
Cat parents can easily crumble the food with a fork, by hand or simply in the blender. Easy and convenient way to feed excellent raw nutrition without the need to freeze, rehydrate, thaw etc.!
ZIWI Peak air-dried food is a great alternative to raw-feeding. Your cat will get 96% real, cage-free meat, New Zealand green mussels, all without peas, legumes, soy, wheat, and other allergens.
Watch your cat thrive as it gets everything it needs: protein, antioxidants, omegas, taurine, and all other vital nutrients!
What we like about it
- Delicious, nutritious, tender and moisture-rich ‘dry cat food’ – easy on sore gums and teeth
- Can be crumbled easily by hand or a few pulses in the blender
- Complete as a meal, as treats, or as a food topper
- No need to freeze, thaw, rehydrate, or refrigerate.
What we don’t like
- People have complained about the food’s strong smell but most cats don’t mind.
- HIGH PROTEIN, NUTRIENT DENSE: Authentic whole-prey ratios, featuring 96% wild-caught Mackerel and free-range Lamb, Organs, Bone, and New Zealand Green Mussels. Safely air-dried ingredients that deliver nutrition and mouth-watering taste for cats.
- GRAIN-FREE, LOW CARB: Premium cat food with only 2 protein sources and no added carbohydrates, ideal for food sensitive cats. NO cheap fillers such as grain, potato or peas, which are linked to obesity, food allergies, and other health concerns.
- 10% SUPERFOOD BOOST: Cold-washed Green Tripe, New Zealand Green Mussels, and Organic Kelp; holistic ingredients to support digestion, healthy weight, reduced shedding, joint health, plus essential taurine to promote heart and brain health.
- TOPPER or COMPLETE MEAL for ALL LIFE STAGES: Perfect as a topper for a nutrition and flavor boost, and ideal as a complete meal for peak nutrition and health; optimized from kittens to senior cats, including indoor and outdoor cats.
- ETHICAL and SUSTAINABLE: ZIWI sources only 100% free-range, grass-fed, grass-finished meats, and wild-caught seafoods, all from New Zealand farms and pristine oceans. Farmed without added hormones, antibiotics, or growth promotants.
With Purina One Tender Selects, you get the option of crispy and crunchy kibble combined with softer, chewier, and meatier morsels – a combination most cats love.
This kibble with its tender meaty morsels has helped many cats and kittens without teeth eat it without any discomfort to their sore gums
The crunchy and crispy kibble removes plaque on the teeth of younger cats. Older cats can easily pick out the tender morsels and get their fill of high-quality nutrition.
Purina One Tender Selects High-Quality Cat Food is made with real chicken and has accents of carrots and peas, without any fillers, preservatives, or dyes.
The balanced omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6 fatty acids ratio is great for your cat’s coat and radiant skin health.
Your pet will also get plenty of antioxidants through this food so it can build a strong immunity and also boost its overall health and well-being.
What we like about it
- Variety of textures – soft and chewy with crispy and crunchy kibble.
- Suitable for all life stages
- Balanced omegas for healthy skin and coat
- Free from allergens, fillers, etc.
What we don’t like
- Many cats crave more of the tender select pieces which, unfortunately, are few.
- One (1) 16 lb. Bag - Purina ONE Natural Dry Cat Food, Tender Selects Blend With Real Chicken
- Real chicken is the number 1 ingredient. providing protein to help support strong muscles. No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Natural plus essential nutrients. 100 percent complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats
- 0 percent fillers means all of the high-quality ingredients have a purpose. Omega-6 fatty acids help support healthy skin and coat
- Antioxidant-rich blend supports a strong immune system. Crafted with real ingredients, including accents of carrots and peas
Delicately crunchy and tasty kibble marries deliciously tender meaty morsels in this great soft dry cat food from Purina Pro Plan Indoor Care Savor® Shredded Blend.
Many cats with poor teeth have found this food’s texture irresistible! It is easy to scoop and eat without hurting the gums.
Purina Pro Plan Indoor Care Savor® Shredded Blend promises to create mealtime excitement in cats with poor appetite, owing to its deliciously tempting combination texture.
It is an added advantage that this food is rich in fiber for hairball control as well. (Do check out our guide on the Best Cat Food for Hairballs). Chicory root provides ample prebiotic fiber that feeds your pet’s intestinal bacteria to improve its digestive health as well.
Your cat with sensitive digestion can also benefit from this food’s easy-to-digest turkey and rice ingredients.
It also contains high protein to help maintain lean muscles and manage weight in indoor cats.
What we like about it
- Crunchy kibble with tender meaty pieces ensure there is something for every cat
- Fiber-rich for hairball control and prebiotics for digestive health
- High in protein
What we don’t like
- Some cats found the meaty chunks too big and users had to blend them to make them smaller.
- One (1) 3 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Hairball Management, Indoor Cat Food, Shredded Blend Turkey and Rice Formula
- Crunchy kibble and meaty, shredded pieces for a delicious mealtime experience
- High protein formula, with real turkey as the first ingredient. Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Indoor Turkey and Rice Formula
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics to support digestive and immune health. High-protein nutrition maintains lean muscle and a healthy weight
- Natural fiber controls hairballs
4 Things to Know About Dental Issues in Cats
1) Your cats need a healthy diet for maintaining their oral and dental health
Just like humans need to eat healthy foods for avoiding dental troubles, cats also need healthy diets rich in calcium and lower in simple carbs and sugars.
Some vets believe that diets rich in grains are responsible for dental issues in cats because they change the pH of their saliva leading to bacterial accumulation.
2) You must brush your cat’s teeth regularly
Cats, unlike dogs, do not indulge in chewing on chew sticks and dental toys.
They need their humans to do this job for them.
With regular brushing, you can minimize the risk of periodontal disease, gingivitis, and dental caries in your pet.
3) Cats need a balance of dry and wet foods
Cats need wet or canned food for providing them with moisture and hydration. This is a must to protect their kidneys and bladder health. (Check out our guide on the best cat food for kidney disease).
However, they also need dry food with crunchy kibble to remove plaque and the stuck food-bits. This is vital for maintaining their dental health.
That is why vets recommend getting cats used to both wet and dry foods for a balance.
4) Gum disease can be dangerous
Just like in humans, cats can suffer gum disease with some harmful results.
If allowed to progress without medical intervention, your cat could end up needing dental extraction surgery.
Gum disease often begins ‘silently’. In the beginning, there may not be any symptoms at all.
It also progresses rapidly and can even adversely impact your pet’s appetite leading to deficiencies and other health issues.
In short: you must never ignore your cat’s oral hygiene.
What are Some Preventive Tips for Avoiding Dental Diseases in Cats?
A) Seek regular veterinary cleaning
Regular dental cleaning can save you many hassles that come with more serious stages of cat gum disease and dental problems.
You certainly want to avoid a stage that may require tooth extraction or other painful surgical procedures.
B) Maintain a strict home care routine
Use fingertip brushes or specialized cat toothbrushes with enzymatic toothpaste to clean your cat’s teeth at least once or twice a week.
It helps if your cat is used to regular teeth-brushing from an early age. Brushing hardly takes more than a few minutes and establishing a brushing-routine can also promote a trusting relationship with your cat.
C) Feed high-quality kibble
These days, you can get special kibble that is formulated for eliminating plaque and tartar in cats.
Get your pet used to eating dry food before dental issues arise.
Also Read: Best Cat Food for Gassy Cats
How to Select the Best Soft Dry Cat Food for Cats with Bad Teeth?
1) Meets your cat’s preferences in taste, texture, and flavor
Cats are picky and finicky animals. They have set taste and texture preferences.
Even if they have few teeth, some cats still want their food dry and crunchy.
If that is the case with your pet, look for kibble that is softer than regular kibble so it satisfies your pet’s preference for dry food. The five foods we have recommended above have been very well-received by cats with poor teeth.
You can also go in for cat food having a combination of textures – crispy and crunchy kibble with tender, meaty, chewy morsels. Many toothless cats are able to eat these easily.
You also have options like air-dried or freeze-dried pellets that soften by soaking in warm water just before serving.
(Only in case you cannot find soft kibble that meets your cat’s taste preferences, you can go in for crispy, wafer-thin or smaller size-kibble. These are easier for cats with few or bad teeth to scoop up with their tongue and ‘chew’ with their gums.)
This choice will ultimately depend on your cat.
2) Is nutritionally balanced for each life-stage
The best soft dry kitten food or senior cat food should provide the nutrition your cat needs at its particular life-stage.
Kittens need higher protein.
Older cats with kidney disease need food lower in phosphorus, magnesium, and higher in fiber and probiotics for digestive health.
Speak to your vet to decide the best soft dry cat food that fulfills specific health requirements.
3) Is filled with antioxidants and health-boosting ingredients
The soft dry cat food for cats with no teeth should ideally contain plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help cats fight off diseases and infections.
The minerals can help younger cats maintain their bone and dental health and even avoid dental diseases.
The five foods selected above mostly fulfill these needs.
Also Read: Best Cat Food for Cats That Throw Up
FAQS on Soft Dry Cat Food for Cats with Bad Teeth
1) What can I feed my cat with teeth problems?
If your cat has teeth problem and has difficulty chewing, feed him with soft dry cat food.
There are dental-friendly soft dry cat food that you can provide to ease pain and fight off dental problems if your frurry friend is suffering from periodontal diseases.
You can choose from high quality canned food or raw and freeze-dried variety that are soft enough for them to enjoy eating. Aside from wet and soft dry cat food, you can give him supplements like probiotics, omega 3 fatty acids, or antioxidants.
This will greatly help your cat from stress and will help him improve his dental health.
2) Is soft food bad for cats teeth?
Soft food is not bad for your cat’s teeth.
However, you must need to balance his diet by giving him a combination of soft and dry choices.
Naturally, cats should use their teeth to tear and break foods into pieces to keep it strong and in good state.
3) How do you clean your cat’s teeth?
If you plan to give your cat some dental cleaning, here’s what you can do at home. Follow some of vet-approved quick tips below:
Scaling– This is the process where the teeth are scaled to remove the tartar both in the upper and lower gum line. You will need to use some hand instruments like a scaler or the latest ultrasonic cleaning machine you can find online. Once the tartar is removed under the gums, it is now ready for polishing.
Polishing– You can put a fluoride gel on his teeth to smoothen the surface and make it resistant to plaque formation while strengthening the enamel. This will also remove or decrease his teeth sensivity.
Flushing– You can remove the dislodged or scraped tartar from the teeth using a plaque remover spray and eliminate the bacteria that comes with tartar.
4) How can I keep my cat’s teeth clean without brushing?
There are easy steps you can take to protect your cat’s teeth without brushing.
One is providing your cat with quality and nutritious food without preservatives or coloring.
From time to time, giving your cat some dental food will eliminate dental problems such as sore gums, bad teeth, and tartar build up.
Try putting some dental gel directly on their teeth to lessen and avoid decay.
To scrape off plaque, give him dental chews or toys.
The best soft dry cat food for cats with bad teeth comes with softer, or smaller sized kibble or a combination of texture with meaty and tender morsels.
Mainly, it is easy to scoop up, chew, and swallow for cats having dental diseases or oral lesions.
We recommend the Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food which has a combination of crunchy kibble and soft, chewy and meaty morsels. Most senior cats and toothless kittens love this combination.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.