The best cat food for gassy cats is generally a bland, easy to digest limited ingredient diet. It can help prevent diarrhea, flatulence, belching, salivation, and other gastric issues in your cat.
If your cat has gas in intestines, then the best cat food for gassy kitten or an adult cat can help. We have picked top 5 anti-gas cat foods – both dry and wet cat food – for you to choose from.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best cat food for gassy cats
- Forza10 Intestinal Support Dry Cat Food
- Rachel Ray Nutrish Premium Cat Food with SuperFoods
- Royal Canin Digest Sensitive Wet Cat Food
- Natural Balance LID Limited Ingredients Dry Cat Food
- Nutro Sensitive Digestion Dry Cat Food
Best Cat Food for Gassy Cats – 2021 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Forza10 Intestinal Support Dry Cat Food
Forza 10 intestinal support dry cat food has been especially formulated by vets to be easy on your cat’s digestion. It is known to prevent belching, flatulence, gastric irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, excess salivation, and other signs of gas in your pet’s intestines.
If your cat has a digestive problem, then this commercial cat food would be ideal for him/her.
Forza 10 is a complete balanced nutrition and ‘clean food’ without harsh or adverse-reaction causing ingredients that could impact your cat’s sensitive stomach. It is a relatively bland food, free from common food allergens which cause gastric issues in cats.
This gentle cat food mainly contains wild-caught Pacific and Iceland anchovies which cats are known to love and mostly find easy to digest. Not only are the anchovies delicious for your cat, it also contains healthy omega fatty acids that are beneficial for your cat.
In addition, this formula contains digestion-improving herbs (dandelion) and berries to regulate sensitive stomach.
You won’t find any corn, wheat, soy, GMOs, or other by-products and preservatives in this pet food.
It also contains fiber in the form of psyllium husk and beet pulp both of which prevent constipation and regulate bowel movements.
Its balanced omega fatty acids 3 and 6 ratio is great for your cat’s skin.
We love the fact that Forza 10 is a brand that bases all their products on immense scientific research.
What we like about it
- Clean food made especially for upset stomach, gas/flatulence, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Cats switched to this commercial cat food showed fewer symptoms of diarrhea, gas, and other symptoms of food intolerances.
- Irresistible taste with nourishing ingredients
- Formulated by vets based on scientific research
What we don’t like
- Strong fishy scent – although most cats don’t seem to mind it!
- FORMULATED FOR EASY DIGESTION - helps upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, belching, ulcers, nocturnal vomiting on empty stomach, gastric swelling, flatulence, intestinal noises, or gastritis
- COMPLETE AND BALANCED HOLISTIC DIET - complete nutraceutical food is designed to help with recurrent or chronic gastrointestinal issues
- HEALTHY NATURAL INGREDIENTS - single-source protein, and gluten-free carbs help eliminate common dietary causes of gastrointestinal issues
- LIMITED INGREDIENT CAT FOOD - helps avoid common allergens that can cause digestive upset, while therapeutic plant and fruit extracts work holistically to improve overall health
- FAST RESULTS - with our advance formula you and your cat can see improved results in a short period of time
Rachel Ray Nutrish dry cat food contains natural prebiotics and fiber in the form of pumpkin and dandelion that support your cat’s digestion.
It also contains fiber-rich lentils which prevent constipation and clear out your pet’s digestive tract.
Real chicken and salmon recipe are used as the primary ingredients which are very easy on your cat’s delicate intestinal tract.
This complete and balanced nutrition for indoor cats is free from corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, preservatives, byproducts, and fillers.
It is also packed with amino acids and omega fatty acids to give your pet a softer, shinier, and healthier coat.
Rachel Ray Nutrish has designed their kibble to meet different taste and texture expectations: it is optimally crispy and crunchy and also has a smooth texture to suit varied palates.
Finally, we love the fact that Rachel Ray Nutrish cat food is backed by 8 decades of scientific research, making them a trustworthy commercial cat food brand that we use for our cats.
All ingredients in this high-quality sensitive stomach cat food are tested and carefully chosen before being formulated in their US facilities.
What we like about it
- Many cats have completely been free from gas, frequent throw-ups, constipation, and diarrhea after being on this food.
- Prebiotic rich food for superior digestive support
- Contains highly digestible protein in the form of chicken and salmon along with pumpkin and dandelion for improving digestive health
- Fortified with vital nutrients for indoor cats
- Kibble size and texture appeals to different palates
What we don’t like
- Cats love it so much that they tend to gain weight on it. (Check out our guide on the best cat food for overweight indoor cats).
- Contains (1) 14 Pound Bag of Dry Cat Food ; For a limited time, you may receive either bag while we update our packaging
- Dry cat food recipe includes real U ;S ; farm-raised chicken
- Real salmon, wholesome lentils, and unique Superfood Blend helps support dietary needs of indoor cats
- Natural prebiotics from pumpkin for a healthy digestive tract
- Antioxidant-rich berries help support a healthy immune system
3. Royal Canin Feline Care Nutrition Digest Sensitive Thin Slices in Gravy Canned Cat Food, 3 Ounce Can (Pack of 24)
‘No diarrhea, gas, or throw ups’ – My cat loves it!
Royal Canin Digest Sensitive canned food is especially formulated by vets and feline nutrition experts for bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, and gas in cats’ intestines.
The main ingredients in Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet cat food are chicken, salmon, and pork. You will be pleased to know that most cats with sensitive stomach can also tolerate these well.
This wet food also contains powdered cellulose fiber to prevent constipation and stool blockages in cats.
Many cat parents with cats having digestive troubles (that were prescribed special digestive food) saw reduced gas and flatulence in their pets after switching to this wet food.
Some pet parents also saw a reduction in dandruff and skin issues in their cats within a few weeks of starting this canned food.
It contains an easy-to-digest protein which not only prevents gas formation, but also reduces the odor in cats’ stools. (Check out our guide on the best cat food for smelly poop).
What we like about it
- Excellent food for finicky and gassy cats
- Improved coat, digestion, and other allergy symptoms in many cats
- Highly digestible protein along with antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins and minerals
What we don’t like
- Some cats didn’t like the chunks in the food. Blending the food helped.
- Royal Canin digest sensitive thin slices in gravy wet cat food is formulated for cats 1 year and older with sensitive stomachs
- Highly digestible proteins help cats absorb nutrients better, while decreasing stool odor
- Helps maintain an ideal weight with specially formulated nutrition
- Precisely balanced blend of vitamins and minerals provides optimal cat health and wellness
- Perfect complement to Royal Canin Digestive Care dry cat food
4. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Cat Food, Green Pea & Duck Formula, 10 Pounds, Grain Free
By minimizing the number of ingredients in your cat’s diet, you can prevent many gastric issues like flatulence, explosive diarrhea, bloating, and belching in your pet.
That is why we love Natural Balance LID dry cat food.
The number one animal protein in this best cat food for gassy cats is duck. Duck is well-tolerated by most cats and provides highly-digestible protein to sensitive cats.
This limited ingredient diet also contains pea fiber which can improve digestion and prevent constipation in your pet.
Not only is this diet grain-free, it is also made with a single protein source. This way, you can avoid any ingredients that have the potential to cause adverse allergic reactions in sensitive cats.
Also, this hypoallergenic diet is free from corn, fillers, potatoes, wheat, and soy – these are typically ingredients which tend to make cats gassy.
What we like about it
- Prevented loose stools, gas, vomiting, in thousands of cats
- Limited ingredient diet using premium-quality ingredients, grain-free, no corn, soy, wheat, and fillers
- Highly digestible protein in a simple formula – duck – along with pea fiber for digestive support
- Rich in amino acids and omegas for healthy skin and coat
- Food undergoes many stringent quality tests
What we don’t like
- Recent formula changes as complained by a few users.
- Contains (1) 5 pound bag of dry cat food
- Grain-free, limited ingredient diet with a single animal protein source
- Helps minimize the number of ingredients cats are exposed to
- Duck is a high-quality protein that helps maintain strong muscles
- Supports healthy skin and a shiny coat
5. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Natural Dry Cat Food, Sensitive Cat Chicken, Rice & Peas Recipe Cat Kibble, 5 lb. Bag
Nutro dry cat food consists of easily digestible chicken with brown rice and digestion-boosting fiber specially made for cats and kittens with sensitive tummies.
This sensitive stomach cat food is made using wholesome ingredients without GMO, fillers, wheat, corn, and soy. Also, there are no byproducts, preservatives, or colors in it.
No wonder it has helped thousands of sensitive cats eliminate symptoms of indigestion like gas, belching, and farting.
Nutro food is also enriched with omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. Its nutrition-rich recipe is also flavorful enough to entice picky cats.
What we like about it
- Specially formulated high-quality food for cats with sensitive digestion
- Non-GMO, free from corn, wheat, soy, preservatives, colors
- Contains antioxidants for immunity
- High-quality protein in the form of chicken which is easy to digest
What we don’t like
- Slightly higher in calories and could cause weight gain.
- Contains one (1) 5 lb. bag of NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Sensitive Dry Cat Food Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Natural Cat Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals & Other Nutrients
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient in this delicious and healthy cat food that’s rich in nutrients and full of flavor
- Easily digestible natural cat food, designed for cats with sensitive digestion
- Made with non-GMO ingredients* from trusted farmers and suppliers
- NO corn, wheat, or soy protein, NO chicken by-product meal, NO artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors… just real food for your cat to enjoy
What Causes Gas in Cats?
A) Fermentation of food in the stomach
The main reason why a cat could develop gas in its intestines is because of food fermenting in its stomach.
A small amount of gas is normal and even necessary for the digestion process.
But, when produced in excess quantities, it can cause pain, bloating, belching, and cat fart.
B) Swallowing air when eating too fast
Your cat or kitten could develop abdominal gas when it eats too fast.
When cats eat quickly, they swallow air along with the food.
This could cause gas in their intestines.
You may want to introduce an elevated orthopedic feeding cat bowl to your cat to help him/her slow down their speed of eating, thereby reducing the amount of air swallowed.
Young cats tend to get excited at mealtime and could end up overindulging in their favorite food.
If you free-feed your cat, then it might eat everything in its bowl without knowing when to stop.
This can lead to fullness and heaviness as well as indigestion with gas in its stomach.
D) Spoiled food
A cat that eats spoiled food (especially wet foods which have a lot of moisture) that has been left outside for hours can also develop gas and flatulence.
In worst cases, your cat could also develop diarrhea or vomiting.
Food that is way past its expiration date can also cause gas.
E) Food allergies/sensitivities and underlying health issues
Sometimes, certain ingredients in food can also cause gas. These ingredients might not affect all cats and only some might show intolerance to these ingredients.
Common allergens in cat foods that cause flatulence include dairy, wheat, soy, corn, and soybean.
Some experts also believe that fiber-rich wet or dry diets can also cause gas in cats. Others believe that cats that do not get optimal fiber could develop constipation and subsequently, symptoms of gas.
Cats with IBD also tend to suffer from gas and flatulence when they eat foods they are sensitive to.
In cats with undercoats that shed or those with longer coats, there may be a tendency for your cat to over-groom.
When your cat licks its fur constantly, it ends up swallowing the fur leading to hairballs.
Hairballs could get lodged in the digestive track leading to digestive issues and gas formation.
G) Intestinal worms/parasites
Some parasites like roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms also lead to digestive issues in cats which include flatulence, belching, inadequate digestion, etc.
These symptoms may be accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, and/or weight loss.
How to Prevent Gas in Cats?
Flatulence in cats is not a normal phenomenon. If you think you have a gassy cat, please see your vet to rule out bowel disease or IBD.
Here are some preventive measures to follow to curb gas in cats:
1) Feed highly digestible protein
The best cat food for gassy cat mentioned above contains a highly-digestible protein source.
This includes chicken, duck, fish like salmon and anchovies etc.
2) Opt for limited ingredient diet
Go in for bland diets or limited ingredient diets. These can help rule out food sensitivity and allergies in your gassy cat.
Avoid diets high legumes, beans, soybeans, etc. as these are known to ferment in your cat’s intestinal tract and cause flatulence.
3) Make sure your cat eats slowly
If your cat eats too fast because of competition from other pets, feed it separately to help slow down his/her speed of eating. You can also invest in special slow feeding bowls to prevent your cat from eating too fast.
4) Feed smaller meals
Opt to feed your gassy cat 3-4 smaller meals instead of 1-2 large meals a day.
5) Exercise you pet
Walk or play with your pet about 30 minutes post feeding. This will allow the gas to move and pass out naturally.
6) Get rid of worms regularly
De-worm your pet regularly to prevent intestinal worms.
What Features Should You Look for in the Best Cat Food for Gassy Cats?
Here are some features to consider in the best cat food for gassy kitten or cat:
A) Contains a highly digestible protein source
Look for a pet food with an easy-to-digest protein source. This includes chicken, turkey, duck, or salmon which most kittens and cats can tolerate easily.
Avoid foods containing byproducts and meat-meals as they are heavier to digest and could cause gas.
B) Is ‘clean’ and/or contains limited ingredients
Gas or flatulence can also occur due to GMO foods, or foods with wheat, soy, fillers, preservatives, colors, and dyes.
You can look for natural or organic cat food which is free from chemicals or contains limited ingredients so that your cat isn’t exposed to any unwanted or unnecessary filler ingredients.
C) Contains digestion-boosting ingredients
In addition to being formulated for sensitive tummies or for cats with IBD, you can also look for foods that provide digestion supporting ingredients.
These include pre and probiotics for digestive and immune support, optimal levels of fiber to prevent constipation and hairballs, and/or herbs like dandelion that offer digestion support.
D) Caters to your cat’s overall health profile
Many factors can cause gas in cats. Sometimes, they could have IBD or bowel disease. Other times, it could be that they have a sensitive stomach, food allergy, or even a proclivity to form hairballs.
Accordingly, select a food that caters to these issues. When you eliminate the root cause, your cat’s flatulence problem will also get resolved.
Remember: there is no one-formula that fits all cats. What suits one may not suit another. Try out different foods and always consult your vet when in doubt.
The best cat food for gassy cats can help relieve gas or flatulence in cats. Such diets typically contain a highly digestible protein source, optimal levels of fiber for preventing constipation, as well as probiotics and/or herbs for digestion support.
Some foods are simply limited ingredient to prevent food sensitivities in cats.
We recommend the Forza 10 Intestinal Support cat food which is a ‘clean food’ formulated by vets to relieve all kinds of gastric issues in cats.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.