The best litter boxes for pine pellets let you use your favorite pine cat litter, allow the crumbled sawdust to fall through, and prevent wastage as well. They also prevent tracking and make cleanup a lot easier.
If you and your cat love pine litter, then you must check out these 5 best litter boxes for pine pellets.
Just in case you are in a hurry, click on our short summary below to view our Top 5 reviewed products for the best litter boxes for pine pellets
- Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
- Modkat Litter Box with Reusable Liners
- Van Ness CP5 Sifting Cat Litter Box
- Nature's Miracle High-Sided Cat Litter Box
- IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with Scoop
Best Litter Boxes for Pine Pellets – 2022 Top 5 Picks
1. Our Editor’s Pick: Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Box with Microban for Odor Control (Scoop Free Cat Litter Tray)
Pet Mate Arm & Hammer sifting litter pan works great with all kinds of pellet-based litters, and especially pine pellets. The sawdust formed after the litter gets mixed with cat pee/poo easily falls through the grate/sifter tray which prevents wastage. Users have been known to literally halve their litter usage per month with this box!
In addition to this great feature, Pet Mate’s sifter litter pan eliminates scooping and eases cleanup.
Like all Arm & Hammer products, the Pet Mate is very sturdy and durable. Its reinforced bottom also easily withstands larger amounts of litter.
(Arm & Hammer pine litter is almost 50% lighter than clay clumping litter, so you can add more to the pan than usual – based on your cat’s preferences. Digger cats love thicker layers of litters).
Pet Mate also has a Microban® layer which is antimicrobial and prevents stains and odors. Thus, this works perfectly for pellet cat litter.
What we like about it
- Sifter tray allows pellet sawdust to fall through. Prevents wastage and saves money.
- Eases cleanup
- Durable, sturdy sifting litter box, and, reinforced bottom.
- Compact and fits in small spaces
- Microban® antibacterial layer prevents stains and odors.
What we don’t like
- Needs wall guards or higher sides to prevent litter from falling out. You can place mats under the pan to prevent this.
- Lift to Sift, No Scooping Required: Easy to clean, large cat litter box comes with 1 sifting box and 2 regular boxes. When cleaning, the patented sifting technology lets cat litter pass through easily, leaving clumps behind; no cat litter scoop needed
- Maximum Odor Control: Built-in Microban protection inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria. It is recommended your litter box be 1.5 times longer than your cat. Replace your cat litter box every 12 months to maintain odor control
- Made with Recycled Materials: Arm & Hammer is not just a friend of furry family members, but the environment too. We produce eco-friendly, sustainable pet supplies for cats and dogs from kennels to top entry litter boxes
- Use Your Favorite Litter: Great for pine litter, crystal cat litter, pellets for cat litter box and clumping cat litter. We suggest Arm & Hammer Slide. Litter boxes like this are an affordable alternative to pee pads. Say goodbye to your litter scoop
- Arm & Hammer Pet Litter Maintenance: part of a line of pet supplies for cats like cat litter mats, cat litter & housebreaking, litter box with lid, cat boxes for indoor cats, dog housebreaking supplies, kitty litter box, ferret or rabbit litter box
2. Modkat Litter Box, Top-Entry, Includes Scoop and Reusable Liner - Gray
A vast majority of users have raved about Modkat box’s compatibility with pine litter which helps minimize litter odor.
Modkat litter box comes with a reusable liner, so the pine pellet dust falls through to the bottom when you lift the liner. All you need to do is to empty the dust at the bottom which saves a lot of cleanup time and hassles.
You can use any reusable liners with the Modkat.
It is a highly versatile box – it goes well with any cat litter (clumping or non-clumping). And since more and more cat parents and cats prefer ecofriendly pine pellet or pine litter, the Modkat box suits many.
The Modkat litter box has been featured on many TV shows and in magazines. Many magazines are even calling this great litter box the iPod of litter boxes!
So if you are looking for a litter pan to suit your tidy cat, this one is definitely a top-notch choice!
This award-winning litter box features a neat and clean design that promises to keep your house smelling fresh! Thanks to its enclosed structure which is useful for odor control.
The use of pine pellets further freshens up your litter box area by absorbing ammonia odor from cat urine. It’s like having clean litter all day!
Modkat litter box comes with a unique lid that removes litter from your cat’s paw to minimize tracking. (As such, pine pellets track a lot less than traditional litters). The box’s lid comes with perforations that allow unused kitty litter to drop back through to prevent wastage.
Dimensions of the Modkat are 16 x 16 x 15 inches which is ideal for medium cats to large weighing up to 20 lbs.
The entry hole-diameter is about 9-inches which is convenient for most cats. (There is an extra-large/bigger version of this sifting cat litter box with swiveling entry door for larger or obese cats or those with physical limitations).
What we like about it
- Compatibility with almost any litter type (natural cat litter and especially pine pellet cat litter or wood pellet litter)
- Aesthetically pleasant – looks neat and tidy
- Covered box for smell and unpleasant odor reduction
- Comes with a litterbox scoop for easy cleaning
- Versatile and available in many sizes with convenient entry options
- Sturdy and durable natural litter box
What we don’t like about it
- Expensive but totally worth the money.
- PREVENTS LITTER TRACKING: The patented design of the Modkat top-entry litter box nearly eliminates litter tracking. The locking lid acts as a walk-off mat that keeps litter in the box and off of your floors.
- SWIVEL LID = EASY CLEANING: Simply swivel and scoop. Any litter left on the lid will drop neatly inside when the lid is opened.
- REUSABLE LINER: The Modkat Reusable Liners are tailored to fit neatly inside the Modkat Litter Box. They are rip-resistant and easy to clean. Liners can last up to 3 months.
- LOOKS GREAT IN YOUR HOME: The award-winning, modern design looks great and complements any room.
- ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION: Comes with everything you need; a full height seamless base to prevent leaks, an easy open swivel lid, large hanging litter scoop, and a reusable tarp liner for effortless litter removal.
3. Van Ness Pets Large Sifting Cat Litter Box with Frame, High Sided, CP5
Van Ness CP5 litter box is designed for use with pine litter pellets. Its appropriately-sized perforations are ideal for the size of most pine pellet litters available in the market.
The perforations remove crumbled sawdust from wet litter and allow it to fall through, thus saving good pellets. This eliminates the need for scooping and shaking dirty litter.
Van Ness litter box can also reduce frequent litter changes. Overtime, the box can save you a ton of money on buying litter, especially if yours is a multi-cat home. Van Ness litter box also reduces your time spent on cleaning.
Its high-wall design and non-stick surface are some other bonus features we love about this box.
The dimension of Van Ness CP5 litter box is: 19 x 15.13 x 8 inches, and it is ideal for cats weighing up to 15 lb.
What we like about it
- Disintegrated pine is collected easily and can be used for composting
- Perfectly designed holes for most pine pellet sizes commonly available in pet shops
- Highly polished surface prevents sticking
- Framed walls are ideal for spraying cats
- Made in USA
- Available in different colors.
What we don’t like
- Not designed for larger cat breeds. Need a larger size to avoid the litter scatter and mess on the floor.
- Ideal for owners who want the benefit of scoop-free litter maintenance
- High polish finish is stain resistant and easy to clean
- Framed pan provides added height, reducing litter and urine spill outside the box
- Outer dimensions of litter box measure 19 L” x 15.125 W” x 8” H
- Designed to work with most clumping litters (not ideal for use with pellets or powder litters)
4. Nature's Miracle High-Sided Litter Box, 23 x 18.5 x 11 inches
Users have used both horse pine pellets and cat pine pellet litter with this high-sided litter box from Nature’s Miracle. It works great for both.
Some users also recommend using clumping cedar pine litter which crumbles like sawdust and minimizes the ammonia from the cat’s urine for fresher, feline fresh smelling house.
Nature’s Miracle litter box measures 23.4 L x 18.25 W x 11 H inches – a size perfect for large cats weighing up to 20 lb. Its low-profile entry is also ideal for kittens or older cats with joint aches. (Do check out our guide on low entry litter box for senior cats).
Being high-sided minimizes litter scattering around, so this is a great box for diggers and sprayers as well!
Nature’s Miracle cat litter box comes with an antimicrobial and a non-stick surface that helps minimize sticky messes as well as odors. You can further reduce the odor by using pine pellets. This brand is a smart choice for a pellet litter box.
This lightweight box also comes with side handles for easy lifting and dumping out.
What we like about it
- Versatile box can be used with pine and other pellet-litters
- Easy to clean with a spout
- Fits in tight spaces
- Great for large-breed and obese cats; low-profile entry for young and old cats
What we don’t like
- Some users found their cats kicking litter over the low-profile entry/exit area. Placing a mat under the box may be necessary to contain the mess.
- High sides to prevent litter scatter
- Care and cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning
- Item dimension: 23.4 inches Length x 18.25 inches Width x 11 inches Height
- Packaging may vary
5. IRIS USA Round Top Entry Cat Litter Box with Scoop, Large Stylish Curved Kitty Litter Pan with Litter Catching Grooved Cover Less Tracking Dog Proof and Privacy Walls, White/Beige
With IRIS top-entry cat litter box, you only need to fill 1/4th of box with pine pellets. Imagine how much litter you’d save! People have successfully used the box with all kinds of pellet-based litters as well.
Here’s what one user said about using pine litter with IRIS litter box: ‘thanks to the use of pine litter with this box, I have forgotten what horrid cat pee-poo smell is like. The box is very easy to clean and with pine litter, the experience becomes even better! I am also saving a ton of money on pine litter brought wholesale from grocery stores. It is readily available everywhere!’
Also, the unique design of IRIS prevents scattering of litter which means less cleanup for you. Its rounded walls prevent sticky mess and are a breeze to clean compared to rectangular pans.
The total dimensions of the box are 20 x 16 x 14 inches (L x W x H) which are ideal for small dogs as well as medium to large cats weighing up to 22 lbs. The oval-shaped entrance has a diameter of 10.5 inches which eases your cat’s entry and exit.
IRIS top-entry litter box comes with a scoop and a convenient hanging point for the scoop. This also eases cleanup for cat parents.
Its unique grooved-lid removes stuck litter and litter dust from your kitty’s paws to prevent tracking. This well-designed box also comes in various attractive colors and has non-skid bottom to prevent toppling over.
What we like about it
- Well-designed box suited for pine and other pellet-litters
- Large and roomy compared to a regular litter box
- Has a locking feature to enhance stability for larger cats.
- Comes with scoop and place for hanging scoop
- Very easy to clean
- Covered design minimizes odors and feline smell
What we don’t like about it
- Lid removal is slightly tricky; you have to insert your hand into the main opening to remove it. This is a major design flaw but hey, your cat won’t be complaining.
- MADE IN USA with global materials - The IRIS USA top entry kitty litter tray offers a functional and aesthetically pleasing solution to your cat's bathroom needs. With the top entry kitty litter box, everything stays inside and out of sight, and the enclosed design lessens the prevalence of unpleasant odors in the room, something that's sure to make everyone in the family happy.
- TOP ENTRY - The top entry of the cat litter pan means more privacy for your cat, less litter spillage, and any spraying remains contained within the tall walls of the kitty litter box. It also functions to keep other pets, such as dogs, out of your cat's business, making for a stress-free environment for everyone.
- TIDY - The grooves in the lid catch any lingering litter particles on your cat's paws and keep them from spilling out onto the floor, keeping the area neat and clean and making clean-up a breeze.
- ORGANIZED - The included scoop features a hook, allowing you to hang it from the side of the kitty litter pan to store it between cleanings and have it within reach whenever it's needed, making the days of hunting around for the scoop a thing of the past.
- GREAT SIZE - Dimensions: 20.75"L x 16.125"W x 14.625"H, Entry: 9"W x 10.5"H
What are the Benefits of Using Pine Pellet Litter?
Here are some of the advantages of using pine pellets cat litter:
A) Weighs Less
Pine pellet litter is lighter than clay litter. This can be good for elderly users that want to avoid heavy-lifting of clumped litter while discarding their pet’s mess.
B) Better for the environment
Pine pellet litter is definitely better for the environment and can even be composted as it is 100% natural and ecofriendly any regular litter..
You can also flush some types of pine litter as they won’t harm the waterways and landfills.
C) Better for allergy-sufferers
Pine pellet litter is less dusty compared to clay litter.
This is a great feature for humans and pets if they are sensitive to sawdust and dusty litters which can harm their lungs.
D) Superior odor control
Pine-based litter absorbs cat pee and moisture from the feces. This minimizes production of ammonia and keeps odors down to a minimal.
Cedar wood and horse pine pellets also have a lovely woodsy aroma which becomes more pronounced when wet. This can keep your home smelling clean.
E) Easier to clean
Pine pellet litter crumbles into a sawdust texture when wet. It does not stick to your cat’s paws unlike clay litter and this prevents tracking.
It could even minimize the need for cleaning around the box for cat parents.
Many varieties of pine pellets – especially horse pine pellets – are much cheaper than traditional cat litters. If you have multiple cats, you may want to buy pine pellet litter in bulk to save money. (Check out our guide on best litter box for multiple cats.)
Do You Need Special Litter Boxes for Pine Pellet Cat Litter?
These days, most cat litter box manufacturers make versatile boxes that can be used with any type of litter: clumping, non-clumping, pellets, crystals, etc.
So, to answer the above question, ‘do we need special boxes when using pine pellets as cat litter?’ the simple answer is No.
However, with high-quality litter boxes that recommend pine or other pellet-type litters, you get the following advantages:
- Easier cleanup – saves time and backbreaking cleaning
- Less tracking
- Saves money.
What are the Different Types of Pine Pellet Litters?
Horse Pine Pellets
Horse pine pellets are usually used as bedding for small animals (house pets like rabbits and hamsters) and in horse stalls. It makes excellent cat litter. You can easily buy it in bulk as it is quite inexpensive.
Horse pine pellets have a high absorbency rate which quickly draws out moisture from cat urine and feces to eliminate odors.
This type of litter does not form clumps like clay-based litter and is lighter in weight for easily tossing it out. It is also low in dust which eliminates risks of allergies in cats and humans.
You can also compost and flush this type of litter as it does not harm our waterways.
Wood Pine Pellets
Cedarwood or wood pine makes for sustainable cat litter. It has a natural woodsy aroma that keeps the ammonia out from cat urine and gives your home a clean and fresh fragrance.
When wet, cedar pine pellet litter forms a sawdust like texture which crumbles. It is also low-dust and does not track easily – both features are great for humans and pets that are sensitive to allergens.
You can flush and/or compost this type of litter so it is ecofriendly.
How to Transition your Cat to Using Pine Pellet Litter?
Give your cat plenty of time to transition to the new pellet litter if s/he is used to clay litter.
Place your pet’s pellet litter box in its usual place with some of the old litter and add a handful of pine pellet litter to it.
Let your cat to sniff it and use it.
Each day, scoop out more and more of the older clay litter and add a scoopful of pine litter in its place.
Very soon, you can start using pine pellet litter entirely.
Keep an eye on your cat. If it stops using the litter box, you might have to switch back to the old litter, or keep searching for a better pine pellet litter that your cat approves of.
What Features Should You Look for in the Best Litter Boxes for Pine Pellets?
1) Suits your cat
Cats are finicky animals.
While most cats like pine pellet litter, some cats might turn up their noses at it.
So, before selecting the best litter boxes for pine pellets, make sure that your cat approves of the litter.
You can also select a versatile box that goes well with many kinds of litters so you can always find something that your cat loves.
2) Is appropriately sized
The chosen litter pan or box must also suit your cat’s size. It should be large enough for your pet to move about comfortably. Ideally, cats weighing 20lbs or more need boxes of 25 L x 19 W x 11 H inches. For smaller cats, use a box with dimensions 19 L x 15 W x 8H inches.
Avoid cramped boxes that leave no room for movement. If your cat is a sprayer, choose a box with higher walls to contain the mess.
Conversely, for very young kittens and for older cats with low mobility, select a low-entry box that allows ease of entry and exit.
Sifting litter pans are great for using with pine pellets since the crumbled-up pine dust falls through the grates into the pan below.
This reduces tracking, saves litter, and over time, money on buying litter as well. Sifting pans also help you easily separate the dirty mess from the clean litter.
So between a sifting cat litter box or a non-sifting one, choose the one that will give you multiple benefits.
The choice of enclosed or open box depends on you and your pet.
As a cat owner you might want covered/enclosed boxes as they contain the odors better. However, when you use pine pellets, odor shouldn’t really be an issue.
If your cat prefers open or uncovered box, then you might not have too much of a say in the matter.
5) Easy to clean
Select a box that is easy to clean. These days, you get boxes with special non-stick coating and rounded edges that reduce sticky messes and prevent the need for scrubbing.
Pine pellets further ease cleanup because they are low in dust and track less as compared to clumping clay litters.
6) Number of pans/boxes to buy
This choice depends on the number of cats you have.
Ideally, you must provide one box per cat.
If you live in a multi-storied home, and your cats have entry everywhere, then opt for one box per floor of the house.
The best litter boxes for pine pellets allow you to easily use your cat’s favorite pine litter, prevent wastage, and also minimize cleanup.
We recommend Pet Mate Arm & Hammer sifting litter box since its sifter allows the sawdust to easily fall through and saves you litter as well as time on cleanup.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “thp20-20”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “Best litter boxes for pine pellets”;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “PetSupplies”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “679a8dfa2c809549589c9d8f1264e546”;
amzn_assoc_default_browse_node = “2619533011”;